Rally Obedience

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't sent off my entry yet. I think I might go :bottom:
So who is definitely going to the Perth Rally seminar? :rofl:

I wanted to go Tiggy but the driving down 2 days in a row puts me off....

You're welcome to crash at mine if that helps you any.

Thanks Katie, I dont think I will be going though, need to save my $'s for the derm for him, its more important at this stage.

We are looking at an officially sanctioned event by next year (2011) if all goes as planned. Many are working very very hard to see this happen.

That's awesome!

Zero has been diagnosed with HD and arthritus so he's pretty much been wiped out of traditional obedience trialling - too much sitting/dropping and getting back up for him not to be rewarded for it - but the time in the ring for rally seems to be a little less and I can verbally reward him so hopefully he'll be able to compete! :bottom:

• 1 month later...
oh come on now.....your dog can't be a total dork more than some of the ones I've seen come through either my classes or actual trials.....(including my own current challenge!) And yes, I have had some dogs barely able to sit, and pull their handlers through the entire course....they (handlers) learned in spite of their challenge!

I went to the first day of the WA Seminar and was very glad I went as I then learnt the vast amount of things and on going training we could do with our dogs

after all going for UD (and no not me) over and over is not overly exciting, I can see a long time getting through all the training required for Rally

I did not go the second day as my boy is only five months old and I decided it would disadvantage both of us. However I would like to ask a question

you emphasised the bar jump being able to tip it it was hit during a jump, I have spent many years trying to figure out how the solid jump is allowed.

I have seen some awful crashes on it and yet it does not tip and no mention was made of this. I have queried it here with our local Judges with varying

answers, I do not believe it is a safe piece of equipment and should be modified to tip if the dog hits it. And yes obedience dogs do jump as fast as an

Agility dog. Beagie

A solid panel jump in some cases has a top plank that is like a bar jump and can be dislodged, however dogs can 'tick' a jump and not dislodge and are penalized accordingly compared to a knock off.

I want to thank the GSD club in WA for the use of their facilities hosting this seminar. I think we all had a great time, the weather was superb and I was just thrilled to see so many enthusiastic people there!! The judges education seminar on Monday was a wonderful time for both the judges and those that brought dogs to be demo's (extra big thanks to those people as this seminar can't be done without you!)

I was very happy to see the lightbulbs come on with both handlers and judges or prospective judges and hold out great hope that we will see amazing courses with fair marking that is challenging and exciting.

This was the largest group I have had to date for one of these seminars and I was a bit nervous dealing with so many, but all you WA folks really made my job easy and felt very welcome with all of you around.

Special thanks to Angela who came out at the ungodly hour to get me at the airport, and hosted me in her lovely home as well as being the main mover and shaker to get this seminar up and running. Also thanks to Cindy for her work to gather the judges and organize all of that part of things. Well done ladies!

I really enjoyed my time, although I would love to go back and actually see more than the dog grounds and the airport at dark (as I left after the seminar on Monday on the 1am redeye back to Melbourne)

Well done to everyone that gave this a go on Sunday and came to help out on Monday. I think you all should be very proud of how you performed with a sport that has SO much to remember and do! Am looking forward to the updates on how the new classes will go and upcoming matches that will be held!

:thumbsup: we all had a fantastic weekend and are all fired up to start the training and to do some fun trials. I have Rally stations going round and round in my head. It is a bit like rubbing your tummy and patting your head as we are all so used to someone telling us to do this or that and we only had ourselves to rely on. Anyway it was a pleasure to host you and we learned so much our heads are hurting.

Soon as I can count to three I will get the novice class beaten :wave: yes you told us !

You never did help me with those weavers...so you HAVE to come back soon :o

I really enjoyed it angelsun. The grounds are lovely but have a few to many birds for baby gundogs :thumbsup: . I have to get into show mode for the weekend but I am planning to print out some of the Rally signs soon and start practicing! As well as going to the classes my club will be holding. :wave:

Yes the focus in your young pup was amazing when those darn birds came to call....you did find considering though so pat both you and your dog on the head!

You never did help me with those weavers...so you HAVE to come back soon

fine but you know you just need to trade Mr.Guiness for a Pinscher and you'll have them mastered! Besides..we would have had time, cept the pub dragged us off course!

Great time was had by me and Ruby, too! :thumbsup: I'll definitely incorporate some rally into my regular obedience training so I am ready to go when trials start happening :(

Thanks angelsun! And rusky for organising :rolleyes:

Edited by RubyStar

angelsun I didn't get to go to the rally seminar :rolleyes: and was wondering if there's any books you could recommend for me to get started. My club is going to be holding classes :thumbsup: . Here's a link to rally books on Dogwise. http://www.dogwise.com/Browse/SubCatList.c...lly%20Obedience

As most of the books out are AKC (American) based, I'm hesitant to recomend, however if you email me directly, I can send you some info to help get you going.

[email protected]

As well there is a forum to join, although it's not very active at this time, we hope that will change and you will be able to read up on things and ask questions regarding rules and how to do stations.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/RallyODownUnder/

Does anyone know if anyone in or around Canberra is running Rally classes or seminars? :thumbsup: It looks like fun!

No one from the ACT has approached me in regards to offering a seminar, nor do I know of anyone teaching. If they are, my concern of course is, if they are doing it correctly. I'm not aware of anyone that has attended on of the seminars that is from that area.

If there is a club or clubs interested, it's best to contact me about seeing if they may want to host a seminar in preparation for this sport when it is accredited.

Hey Angelsun,

I have a rally O question for you. What do you consider to be a "loud command" (with a 3 point penalty)? I have been docked twice for this lately. First time in the "down and walk around" my older BC girl spotted some seagulls doing a low swoop and froze halfway up and stared at them. I said her name and she didn't respond so I said "LEAVE IT" loudly. So I got docked for that which is fine, I understand that. The next time my puppy was distracted by people in the weave twice and I said her name in a normal voice and then her name louder, but not angrily or harshly and got docked for that. Which is also fine, that is up to the judge on the day but I'm just wondering where you would draw the line on "loud command" so I know roughly for next time :thumbsup: We discussed this at club and came to the conclusion any sort of voice raised louder than normal speaking voice? Would you agree in general? Or is this an open to interpretation by the judge type rule?

In my 9 months BC puppy first official Novice rally she got 98 and third place of 25 dogs and even beat my "good dog" (umm, due to the seagull incident) so I was very very pleased with her she is usually a happy and attentive worker and rally is perfect for her. Next one in two weeks and first official advanced in my province in 2 months for my old girl. It is going to become an NZKC title soon I think. Yay! Lots of obedience shows are now holding rally in conjunction which is great.

Hey Angelsun,

I have a rally O question for you. What do you consider to be a "loud command" (with a 3 point penalty)? I have been docked twice for this lately. First time in the "down and walk around" my older BC girl spotted some seagulls doing a low swoop and froze halfway up and stared at them. I said her name and she didn't respond so I said "LEAVE IT" loudly. So I got docked for that which is fine, I understand that. The next time my puppy was distracted by people in the weave twice and I said her name in a normal voice and then her name louder, but not angrily or harshly and got docked for that. Which is also fine, that is up to the judge on the day but I'm just wondering where you would draw the line on "loud command" so I know roughly for next time :thumbsup: We discussed this at club and came to the conclusion any sort of voice raised louder than normal speaking voice? Would you agree in general? Or is this an open to interpretation by the judge type rule?

In my 9 months BC puppy first official Novice rally she got 98 and third place of 25 dogs and even beat my "good dog" (umm, due to the seagull incident) so I was very very pleased with her she is usually a happy and attentive worker and rally is perfect for her. Next one in two weeks and first official advanced in my province in 2 months for my old girl. It is going to become an NZKC title soon I think. Yay! Lots of obedience shows are now holding rally in conjunction which is great.

That's a good idea :o

Hey Angelsun,

Well that's tricky as it really is up to the judges discretion as to what is concidered a loud or harsh command. I will say that I am fairly lenient in that as I'd rather see a sharp 'leave it' than the dog completely losing their brain. Often this sort of deduction/rule tends to get blown out of proportion and I can see some judges getting to the point where anything over a whisper, they will dock for loud command.

So I"m not sure I would agree that anything over a normal voice is loud/harsh really, as the judge must put this all in perspective. In both incidences, you attempted to get focus back and I'm assuming that you achieved that with the one change of voice. I personally would dock you substantially if at EVERY station, or even half the stations, you had to resort to this sort of verbal interaction.

Judges in this sport must think on their feet, weigh the situation they are marking and quickly decide what they are doing and not second guess themselves. Every judges priorities are slightly different and with a case such as this, it will ultimately come down to individual perception of the event.

Unfortunately in this sport when it comes to marking, it's not alll black and white, but a lot of grey in there. For those that have been under my pen, you will understand exactly what I'm saying. Handler Errors are the biggest issues, and what bothers me such as tight leads and crooked sits, may not bother someone else as much. The same would go for the loud/harsh command.

fine but you know you just need to trade Mr.Guiness for a Pinscher and you'll have them mastered!

poor Mr G he feels very upset. I will ask him to watch some more videos then he will get the idea.

hey rubystar

I'll definitely incorporate some rally into my regular obedience training

trying to get the laminating done for tonight but if not by next week, having a busy time since Angelsun left.

Rally is so much more fun than I thought and we all had a good laugh at each others errors. On Monday we handled each others dogs, well mine was a loaned dog all weekend as my boy had KC :thumbsup: It was actually good for the dogs and for us. The whole weekend was fast paced and my head still hurts. If any of you have not been to a seminar and there is one in your area you should definitely make the effort.

Tiggy we are hoping to bring Angelsun back before the end of the year, hope you can make it then.

There is a show and go at canine in August for obedience and the dogs west obedience committee are allowing Rally to be part of the show and go, this will be fantastic for the new judges and a chance for people who were not at the seminar to have a go. We plan to have a few sequences outside of the ring to get used to the signs. This was the bit I found difficult, some signs are very similar. I am working on familiarising myself with the novice signs.

Thank you very much for that response Angelsun and yes in both cases it was just the once and they came back to attention straight away. Both rounds ended up on qualifying marks.

Everytime I watch rally I think wow that must be hard to judge! So much going on even at one station sometimes haha. I don't train any of my 3 dogs on a lead so that is something I find hard and not just me, you see leads over noses, under legs etc. There is a lot of room for handler error I think, it is NOT a very very easy sport like some obedience handlers think it is.

So I am happy my oldest dog is onto Advanced so there will less of those stupid handler errors. Once Puppy gets out of Novice I might try that with 8 years old quite shy middle dog, the hardest one to train who was never suitable for obedience (scary judge following, scary dogs beside her in the stays etc) or agility (too many barking dogs around the ring and judges popping up unexpectantly) or tracking ("I know where you are Mum I don't care if that person is lost"). She has her CGC. In rally I think it is more just you and the dog and I never have a clue where the judge is.

I think it is great it is held here in New Zealand at shows for other disciplines, I have also been to one at a joint ag/ob show and the next one is at an agility trial. Gives lots of people the opportunity to see what it is and watch the happy dogs working.

There is a show and go at canine in August for obedience and the dogs west obedience committee are allowing Rally to be part of the show and go, this will be fantastic for the new judges and a chance for people who were not at the seminar to have a go. We plan to have a few sequences outside of the ring to get used to the signs. This was the bit I found difficult, some signs are very similar. I am working on familiarising myself with the novice signs.

Yay I'll be there :thumbsup:

trying to get the laminating done for tonight but if not by next week, having a busy time since Angelsun left.

Was there training on Monday night? I thought it was school holidays already so I stayed home :thumbsup: Bugger!!!