To Desex Or Not To Desex

RL1

My 7 yr old male is booked to see the vet tomorrow. One thing i have to decide today is

should i have him desexed tomorrow. I was leaning towards it, but the breeder said she wouldn't

worry about it.

He's having a swob of his ear taken, he's due for a vacc and i was thinking about getting the heartworm injection too.

The breeder and i also disagree on vacc. and heartworm injections too.

Would desexing change a male dogs temp. at all ? Wouldn't it be better health wise ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your breeder about the hearthworm vacc. There have already been many probs with it overseas, a lot of dog have had bad reactions and as far as I am aware it is not supposed to be given at the same time as any other vacc. Personally I wouldn't give it to my dog when there are so many other options available.

If you do decide to desex him I wouldn't be giving him his booster vacc at the same time either. IMO giving a vaccine to a dog who has just had an anaesthetic is NOT a good idea. The anaesthetic is already a lot for the body to cope with, without adding a vaccine (or heartworm vacc :) ) to the mix.

I'm not sure if your dog needs to be put under for the ear swab or not? But if he does then yes, it would be an ideal time to desex him if that's what you want to do, but maybe leave the vaccinations until a few weeks after.

Good luck with it all :)

I got my old boy done at about that age - I don't feel it created much change but felt it was betteer in the long run. I had heard of other dogs from similar lines having issues with prostrate as they got older so decided having it done before he had problems was preferable for everyone.

There's no prostrate problems in his lines, i just thought it might be better to be safe than sorry.

Also i thought it might change his temp a little, but the breeder and others here seem to think not.

He will need to be sedated to have his ear checked and a swob taken, so i thought maybe get him desexed

tomorrow as well, but i'm not sure. I'm going to have some blood tests done on the spot as well.

Edited by RottyLover01

There's no prostrate problems in his lines, i just thought it might be better to be safe than sorry.

Also i thought it might change his temp a little, but the breeder and others here seem to think not.

He will need to be sedated to have his ear checked and a swob taken, so i thought maybe get him desexed

tomorrow as well, but i'm not sure. I'm going to have some blood tests done on the spot as well.

Best of luck with him whatever you decide.

Cheers

Kynta

All that is a lot for a dog's immune system to cope with....- esp. if he is carrying a fungal/bacterial infection.

if he were mine, he would be desexed, but not have vacc's the same time, and definitely not the heartworm injection.

Edited by persephone

All that is a lot for a dog's immune system to cope with....- esp. if he is carrying a fungal/bacterial infection.

if he were mine, he would be desexed, but not have vacc's the same time, and definitely not the heartworm injection.

It may well be. It was just my idea. I'm sure the vet will let me know tomorrow.

I'm sure the vet will let me know tomorrow.

:) don't bet on it. some vets will just push product , citing convenience. Hopefully yours doesn't.

No, not this vet. The breeder knows him too well. She's also coming with me.

I'm sure the vet will let me know tomorrow.

:rofl: don't bet on it. some vets will just push product , citing convenience. Hopefully yours doesn't.

No, not this vet. The breeder knows him too well. She's also coming with me.

Good to hear that your breeder is so supportive :) I'm sure she will be able to give you some valuable advice based on her own experience :rofl:

I do agree with Perse though - some vets WILL push and push. I had the heartworm vacc pushed on me by a vet when I brought Kei in for a general check-up at 9 weeks old, even though I made it very clear that I had already purchased heartworm medication and was not interested in the pro-heart vacc :)

My 7 yr old male is booked to see the vet tomorrow. One thing i have to decide today is

should i have him desexed tomorrow. I was leaning towards it, but the breeder said she wouldn't

worry about it.

He's having a swob of his ear taken, he's due for a vacc and i was thinking about getting the heartworm injection too.

The breeder and i also disagree on vacc. and heartworm injections too.

Would desexing change a male dogs temp. at all ? Wouldn't it be better health wise ?

If the dog is in good health then sure go ahead and desex.

You may like to consider heart worm monthly or daily treatments rather than a big wham of a yearly injection.

At 7 the dog probably doesn't need its' vaccs, you can get TT to see if you like.