To Desex Or Not To Desex

RL1

Sorry rotty - I'm just not a fan of those yearly heartworms.

But the rest I think is up to you and what you think you can manage. I have a personal preference for the dogs having the snip, I'm just not sure why I would want to leave a dog entire.... it's actually given me something to think about

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its great to hear that your dogs breeder will be at the vets with you, obviously cares about the dogs they breed beyond just selling them which means that any advice they are giving you is in the best interest of the dog.

Annual heartworm injections can be risky if your dog reacts badly to it there is no way to get it out of the dogs system whereas if your dog reacted badly to a daily heartworm treatment then it can be treated by the vet until it has passed from the dogs system. Many vets still are not very familiar with MDR1 issues in dogs and some dogs have died because of this. Not sure of your breed is it a Rotti?

My breed has an issue with MDR1 as do some others but don't know about Rottis.

With regard to vaccination many believe that we over vaccinate our pets which leads to bigger issues health wise for them. Try googling Vacciossis (think that is correct spelling) and you may understand better your breeders reluctance.

If your dog is not for breeding then by all means desex, but don't expect it to change your dogs personality, how many human fellows that get it done change their nature. You might notice a change in male to male aggressivness provided it hasn't become a bad habit if this is the change you are looking for. If its something like marking then its unlikely to change at this age as it is an established behaviour where training would be more successful.

I sterilized a Border Collie X at 7 to 8 years old because he started jumping a 6ft+ fence to visit the sterilised German Shepherd next door, he continued to jump the fence to her even though more often than not he landed on his head doing damage to his ears and teeth. Even while the stitches where in he would jump the now 8ft+ fence. Continuing to make the fence higher didn't help only the bitch moving away. More than two years later he mated with a Papillon bitch I had who I thought was safe to run with him, luckily she suffered no harm (surprising given the size difference) but I learn't a valuable lesson once I recovered from the shock and was reassured by the vet. Sterilized dogs can stilll maintain an interest and mate.

If the dog is in good health then sure go ahead and desex.

You may like to consider heart worm monthly or daily treatments rather than a big wham of a yearly injection.

At 7 the dog probably doesn't need its' vaccs, you can get TT to see if you like.

He's on monthly heartworm atm, but he has had the yearly injection in the past.

My old Rottix (RIP) was about that age when i got him desexed, didn't change his temp or calm protective nature at all :rofl: It did however make him cheaper to register with the Council! :hug:

Cheaper rego is a bonus. I didn't even think about that.

I would talk to the vet about it but if he is in good health then I would have him desexed. As the male gets older you can face issues with the prostate and desexing reduces this.

I don't think the vet will care or try to persuade one way. It'll be up to the breeder and I, but ultimately i'll have the final

decision.

Sorry rotty - I'm just not a fan of those yearly heartworms.

But the rest I think is up to you and what you think you can manage. I have a personal preference for the dogs having the snip, I'm just not sure why I would want to leave a dog entire.... it's actually given me something to think about

The breeder is not a fan of them either. She prefers the monthly tablets. My female almost 10 yr old Rotty has had the yearly injection the past few years now. She also has a yearly vacc, which the breeder doesn't really agree with me on

that one either.

Its great to hear that your dogs breeder will be at the vets with you, obviously cares about the dogs they breed beyond just selling them which means that any advice they are giving you is in the best interest of the dog.

Annual heartworm injections can be risky if your dog reacts badly to it there is no way to get it out of the dogs system whereas if your dog reacted badly to a daily heartworm treatment then it can be treated by the vet until it has passed from the dogs system. Many vets still are not very familiar with MDR1 issues in dogs and some dogs have died because of this. Not sure of your breed is it a Rotti?

My breed has an issue with MDR1 as do some others but don't know about Rottis.

With regard to vaccination many believe that we over vaccinate our pets which leads to bigger issues health wise for them. Try googling Vacciossis (think that is correct spelling) and you may understand better your breeders reluctance.

If your dog is not for breeding then by all means desex, but don't expect it to change your dogs personality, how many human fellows that get it done change their nature. You might notice a change in male to male aggressivness provided it hasn't become a bad habit if this is the change you are looking for. If its something like marking then its unlikely to change at this age as it is an established behaviour where training would be more successful.

I sterilized a Border Collie X at 7 to 8 years old because he started jumping a 6ft+ fence to visit the sterilised German Shepherd next door, he continued to jump the fence to her even though more often than not he landed on his head doing damage to his ears and teeth. Even while the stitches where in he would jump the now 8ft+ fence. Continuing to make the fence higher didn't help only the bitch moving away. More than two years later he mated with a Papillon bitch I had who I thought was safe to run with him, luckily she suffered no harm (surprising given the size difference) but I learn't a valuable lesson once I recovered from the shock and was reassured by the vet. Sterilized dogs can stilll maintain an interest and mate.

Yes, both my dogs are Rottweilers. Both have had the yearly injection before. The breeder also thinks the yearly

vaccs are overkill. I won't go into detail what she says.

I'm not convinced yearly vaccs are dangerous. My old girl lived to 11.5 yrs and my current female will be 10 soon.

Both have always had yearly vaccs throughout their life.

I'll wait and see tomorrow morning what happens.

Only healthy animals should be vaccinated. Your boy has an ear problem so therefore is not healthy. Also vaccinations shouldn't be given when the animal is stressed. GA and surgery is stress to the body's immune system. Also yearly heartworm vaccinations shouldn't be given at the same time as the other vaccination - apparently it says on the accompanying leaflet, but not all vets read this :hug: I wouldn't touch the yearly heartworm with a barge pole IMO Also at his age I wouldn't be vaccinating. If you are worried get a titre test to check to see if he has antibodies to parvo and distemper :rofl:

As everyone has said having the snip won't change his character or temperament. I would never give my dogs the yearly heartworm after reading the problems & deaths that occured in the US & they only have the 6 mth heartworm injection. As for the yearly vaccination I stopped giving them to my previous Border Collie at about 9-10 yrs old after 2 friends warned me against them when their dogs, approximately the same age, died following their yearly vac. One a GSD had a heart attack & the other a Sheltie heamoraged & even after a blood transfusion didn't survive. At the time my vet tried to get me to get her vaccinated but I kept telling him the reasons & I had also been to a workshop where a holistic vet had told us that she thought that vacines could possibly last for 7 yrs but 3 at the least.

When I took my current bc for her annual vac she was given a 3 yrs shot. Still not sure if it was 3 times as strong as the annual vac or the same. My son has a 9 y.o mixed breed dog & she hasn't been vaccinated since she was 8 & won't be from now on. The only thing they need is annual kennel cough vaccinations.

My boy is home, though he's missing two things.

I had him knocked out and given a full medical, had both his ears cleaned and treated, a swob taken,

some blood tests done, nails clipped and prostrate checked. Plus a C5 vacc.

I decided at the last minute to have him desexed. Myself and the breeder left the surgery at 10 AM and i got

a phone call at 10-50AM to say he's ready to be picked up.

This vet is great. Can handle problem dogs, knows what he's doing and doesn't rip you off.

Just have to wait for the results of the swob. The blood tests done on the spot all came back with excellent results.

geez that's quick to pick him up, did they bite them off? :)

Just joking that is great that he came back with a clean bill of health, great that your breeder took the time out to meet you there too :laugh:

It's really only a 10min surgery isn't it ? I'd only just drove the breeder back to her place and i got the phone call

to come back.

Very cheap too, not that the money side had anything to do with it. If i told you what i paid for the C5 you

wouldn't believe me. Overall i can't fault this pratice.

He's come through fine. He walked out to the car, bit unsteady of course, but better than i thought. He's sleeping now

near me.

Normally most vets don't let them go home so soon after an anaesthetic, just in case there are complications but they must have been confident that he was awake enough to leave.

It is only a small surgery for males, but at his age there would be some more swelling I would expect, keep him calm and make sure he doesn't keep licking at it.

I'm feeling guilty about having him desexed now. I wonder if i should've given it more

thought, even waited until Monday. A couple of people who know were shocked that i've had him desexed, but i

had his best interests in mind when i chose to have it done. ;)

Desexing is a much better choice - far less risky for them getting prostate cancer etc. They will also be far less inclined to lift their legs - I've had desexed and undesexed dogs here as fosters and undesexed dogs, particularly males, are nothing but trouble. Other dogs will have a go at them just because they are undesexed.

Please don't be tempted to put human values onto a dog's testicles, I'm sure he'll be a lot more settled ...

As for the heartworm injection - I won't ever do it, either to my own dogs or fosters - too risky.

RLO1 you most definately did the right thing, don't feel guilty at all you should feel proud of yourself for looking out for his best interests. The only thing he will regret is that there are 2 less things to lick! What will he do with all of that spare time?

Desexing is a much better choice - far less risky for them getting prostate cancer etc. They will also be far less inclined to lift their legs - I've had desexed and undesexed dogs here as fosters and undesexed dogs, particularly males, are nothing but trouble. Other dogs will have a go at them just because they are undesexed.

Please don't be tempted to put human values onto a dog's testicles, I'm sure he'll be a lot more settled ...

As for the heartworm injection - I won't ever do it, either to my own dogs or fosters - too risky.

That was the reason i decided for it. Main reason being his health, even though his prostrate and blood tests all

were excellent. Maybe i should've let it go for another 6 months and re asess at that point. Too late now anyway.

RL01 .... I doubt that you'll have regrets once you've become accustomed to the fact that your boy is desexed. And I doubt your boy will have regrets either.

I regret it a little bit. Plenty of pink collar jokes already.

RLO1 you most definately did the right thing, don't feel guilty at all you should feel proud of yourself for looking out for his best interests. The only thing he will regret is that there are 2 less things to lick! What will he do with all of that spare time?

I hope so, but it's too late now.

you did the right thing. Imagine, for 7 years he really, really wanted to have sex but couldn't. He doesn't have that frustration any more.

I saw you post this in another thread, it's a very sweeping generalistion. Not all entire males are sexually frustrated, it depends on the individual dog.

Desexing is a much better choice - far less risky for them getting prostate cancer etc. They will also be far less inclined to lift their legs -

At 7 yrs old, this dog will still cock his leg if that's what he has always done. By now it is learned behaviour.

Hope he recovers well RottyLover. The only thing to bring me to desex a male at that age is the smell of their urine, otherwise I probably wouldn't have done it. Each to their own, your boy won't miss his testicles - but it sounds like you will :(