3 Year Vaccination

Hi,

My 4 year old dog is due for his yearly vaccination on the 14th January. However, after reading some information on the topic I am questioning what to do. He has been vaccinated every year so far but I think I would like to move to the 3 yearly vaccine but am looking for some more information on it. Is it just like the yearly vaccine but 3 times as strong? To me this would just defeat the purpose of moving to 3 yearly. Or do others just not vaccinate for 3 years? If this is the case how do you get around things like obedience clubs etc. who require vaccination certificates?

Any help and advice would be great.

Hi,

My 4 year old dog is due for his yearly vaccination on the 14th January. However, after reading some information on the topic I am questioning what to do. He has been vaccinated every year so far but I think I would like to move to the 3 yearly vaccine but am looking for some more information on it. Is it just like the yearly vaccine but 3 times as strong? To me this would just defeat the purpose of moving to 3 yearly. Or do others just not vaccinate for 3 years? If this is the case how do you get around things like obedience clubs etc. who require vaccination certificates?

Any help and advice would be great.

I think that the three yearly vaccination is just triple the amount of the one year one. That means your dog will be getting a huge input of drugs. I have my boy Titer tested (hardly any difference in price) and it means he does not need all those drugs. If you go this route, check around with local vets as to how much they will charge (there can be a huge difference in prices vets charge).

I think that the three yearly vaccination is just triple the amount of the one year one. That means your dog will be getting a huge input of drugs. I have my boy Titer tested (hardly any difference in price) and it means he does not need all those drugs. If you go this route, check around with local vets as to how much they will charge (there can be a huge difference in prices vets charge).

I have heard lots of mixed messages about titre testing as to its effectiveness. But this is definately an option. Just not sure where in SA they do it?

What do others who vaccinate do?

It's my understanding that the vaccine used is exactly the same as the "annual" one.

Titre testing effectiveness?, not sure what you mean by this. The titre test is a measurement of the free antibodies in the bloodstream however if the dog hasn't encountered the virus it won't have the same number of antibodies in the bloodstream as a dog that has recently done so, so it may appear to have less immunity, but the immune system doesn't work like this - it doesn't constantly manufacture antibodies for diseases the dog is not encountering - that'd be a waste of time and effort!

This has come up in plenty of topics before (I'm getting sick of posting the same thing :thumbsup: ) but the triennial vaccines are not exactly the same as the annuals. One of them has a higher amount of adenovirus particles and the other one I think has a higher amount of parvo and something else? Can't remember exactly but one particular virus was more than 3 times the amount than the same company's annual.

The annual vaccines have been proven to last 3 years in most cases, so if I were you and you weren't in or travelling in high risk parvo areas, I'd just be vaccinating my dog every 3 years (or less) with a standard annual C3.

This has come up in plenty of topics before (I'm getting sick of posting the same thing :thumbsup: ) but the triennial vaccines are not exactly the same as the annuals. One of them has a higher amount of adenovirus particles and the other one I think has a higher amount of parvo and something else? Can't remember exactly but one particular virus was more than 3 times the amount than the same company's annual.

The annual vaccines have been proven to last 3 years in most cases, so if I were you and you weren't in or travelling in high risk parvo areas, I'd just be vaccinating my dog every 3 years (or less) with a standard annual C3.

How do you then get around clubs boarding facilites requiring a certificate. I am guessing only the vacc labelled 3 years would have a certificate that could be used in these facilites.

Yep Tiggy

But when you live where I do, just trying to get a 3 year vaccine is not an easy task! Never mind talking titre tests, not to mention the fact our club people have never heard of it as I asked them!

I am thinking going for the three year vacc for Rommi, getting Lewis his first yearly booster then three yearly after that.

I do get a bit stressed about it all as I have nursed dogs with Parvo, one with Hepatitis and there was one with Distemper about 5 years before I started at the clinic I was at. I just can't bring myself to not vacc, but I can live with a three year vacc, I feel I am not playing with fire as I have them covered, but not over doing it either.

Having said that our Stafford has not been vacc'd since he was 8 and had a severe reaction to it, and my Dobe wasn't from the age of 6.

It just does my head in really!

ETA would a Vet hospital issue a certificate from a titre test for a boarding facility or club? Such as if they have no idea about Titre tests? Something to say that the dog has adequate immunity to this and this disease and it is valid for 1, 2, 3 years etc?

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Also does my head in :eek:

Sandra777 your explaination was exactly what I was getting at. Eg if the dog hadn't been exposed to certain antibodies it may have a low reading for them and therefore appear to have less immunity.

I'm with you Rommi, I just want to make sure my dogs are covered but don't want to over do it. There is just so much conflicting information out there that I now have no idea what is what or what I should do.

I would be happy to go to the 3 yearly vaccine, but is everything covered with that?

I'm either going to get the 'anual' C3 three yearly or not vaccinate after puppy shots and the first booster. Sophie is going on five and she doesn't go to a club or trial and I don't board my dogs so still not sure if I'll have her vaccinated again. I have an old dog going on ten years old and he's not been vaccinated for five years and I won't have him done again.

A few years ago i started using the 3 year vaccination with my adult dogs. In discussing the vaccine with my vet i was informed that the 3 year vaccine was the same as the one year vaccine, only it was registered to cover my dogs for 3 years, I was given a vaccination certificate that said my dog's were not due to be vaccinated until 2011 and my obedience club accepted these. My vet also said if i want to titer test them, to do so around the due date of their next vaccine, If all is well then no vaccination is required, after this i would presume yearly titer testing??

We only vaccinate against parvo, distemper and hepatitis (C3) as i believe the less stress on the body the better. If we need to give a vaccination for kennel cough for any reason (usually only boarding if its required) then we take the dogs to the vet about a week or so before boarding and get the intranasal kennel cough vaccination given, firstly it is less stressful for the body given this way and it is also a more effective prevention that the injection as it is administered where the infection would start, tho it only last 6 months or there abouts but thats not too much of a worry for us as we only give it if it has to be given and over the last 5 years i have not had any of my dogs get kennel cough and we frequently attend dogs shows, obedience, sled dog racing and a few other canine sports!

I do know of a dog owner who took their 12 week old puppy to the vet to be vaccinated and they were told they needed to give their puppy a C6! I had no idea this even existed so googled it and there are others, C7, C8!!! needless to say the puppy that was given the C6 vaccination had a reaction the following day! If you want some good reading about vaccinations google Jean Dodds, since attending a lecture given by her here in Melbourne a few years ago i have only given the C3 since if needed and only if the dog isn't under any other physical/emotional stress, ie...in season

The AVA have issued a statement saying that they advise people to vaccinate adult dogs every third year. They do not mention a 'specific' 3 year vaccination however and I am of the opinion it is merely a ploy by the drug companies to possibly charge more for a vaccine than normal by increasing the ingredients or possibly even without an increase in ingredients.

In my view, ALL puppies should be regularly vaccinated with the normal protocol until adulthood and then you can decide to follow the AVA's advice or your Vets advice.

I have'n't vaccinated my own dogs for more than 3 years now and I will wait to see what my view is when they are into their senior years regarding any further vaccinations.

I was advised that the 3 year vaccine is exactly the same as the 1 year vaccine just that it has been approved to last 3 years - My vet charged me the same price as the 1 year vac and she comes to my home to do it.

There is very little difference in price between a normal Vaccine and the regstered 3year one, so little in fact that our 3yr is exactly the same price. Quite simply one drug company was quick enough off the mark to register a vaccine that Vets can sign off as being 3yr.

Has anyone been able to find any written studies/information on it, as opposed to what the vets have said, I'd really like to look into it more, but its hard when there are conflicting opinions, or does anyone who has the 3 yearly vaccs cert have the exact name of what their dog was given that they could post here?

I have just rang my friend who is at work today to get her to find out exactly who makes it and if it has the same active ingredients as the one yearly.

I may not get an answer today.

I know my vet would not sign off on a 1 yearly vaccine as a three year one as they have not embraced the three year one as yet - I am working on it.

It is so hard to find info on the net as everything is so conflicting and many unsubstantiated claims.

I want concrete proof.

I wouldn't vaccinate my dog with a one year vacc and leave it for three years because "most" dogs have enough immunity. My young dogs do do high risk things and I am not prepared to risk them getting Parvo.

I just want it to be a whole lot easier and straight forward.

I think the next time I see my vet I am going to corner him to hash it out a little!