Melbourne Pet Expo 2010.

whitka

Mum and I went today, and had a very good time. She was in her wheelchair, which made it harder, but still OK. At least they had a lift (once I found it).

Mum managed to get a cat cuddle too, which was nice as I think she misses her cat since she went to the Bridge.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mum and I went today, and had a very good time. She was in her wheelchair, which made it harder, but still OK. At least they had a lift (once I found it).

Mum managed to get a cat cuddle too, which was nice as I think she misses her cat since she went to the Bridge.

Awww poor mum... pity we can't have a DOL area *evil grins* would be good to catch up with everyone.

I saw Animalmad.. although I got her confused with someone else... oops!!

Well, about 90% sure that I'll be at the Varieties of Bichon stand tomorrow... so look for this face:

IMGP1770.jpg

Elfin... we'll have to chat properly tomorrow :vomit: No doubt hubby will want cuddles from your wee ones :eek:

Awww poor mum... pity we can't have a DOL area *evil grins* would be good to catch up with everyone.

I wonder if they've changed their stall prices, I think DOL should have a stand :eek: :eek: I'm sure there would be many forum members who would volunteer to man it :mad

But a few years ago, the stalls were rather pricey :mad

Otherwise, next year I reckon I'll just put up a banner in my gazebo LOL. Because everyone wants to meet me, yeah :mad People have worn DOL Lanyards in the past, and a few people even had t shirts printed up with their DOL name on them :vomit:

Does anyone know if your Dogs Vic card is sufficient entry if you are on a breed stand? I'm thinking of helping out at the Dally club's stand today. Thanks!

Apparently it's not supposed to be, you need a piece of paper and a dog... I still got through without it yesterday.

Does anyone know if your Dogs Vic card is sufficient entry if you are on a breed stand? I'm thinking of helping out at the Dally club's stand today. Thanks!

Apparently it's not supposed to be, you need a piece of paper and a dog... I still got through without it yesterday.

Thanks for the reply! Not sure I will risk it...too far to travel only to be told that I need to pay the entry fee. It was a last minute thing for me so no passes which we were given last year.

Thanks for the reply! Not sure I will risk it...too far to travel only to be told that I need to pay the entry fee. It was a last minute thing for me so no passes which we were given last year.

pity you're on the wrong side of the city, you could have my pass.. we've decided its gotten too late, we're not going to go.

How boring is it this year, far out I would be VERY unhappy if I payd to get in..I didnt even buy anything at all...

I felt the same but didn't want to say anything in case it was just me! :)

I was telling my best friend last night how much it has changed and I have attended lots of them, even the very first one at the old Exhibition Buildings.

I would be surprised if it runs next year- don't get me wrong the volunteers all do a great job and it is very hard work being there all three days- but the trade stands each year just keep on dwindling.

I was happy to grab some Aussiedog spare parts and to see that Studio Sebastian was back but we went back in to try to find Aussie Pet Health Treats and they were a no-show, listed on the info but MIA!

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

We are just about to head off to the Expo. We are on the Deerhound breed stand today. Showing tomorrow.

Please come and say hello! (I'm the short one :rofl: )

Hello O short one :cheer: ;) Good luck for tomorrow and dont forget to not make a total dick of yourself, keep that arm still :thumbsup:

Well, the arm must have not been to distracting, we got Junior in Group! :champagne:

Edited by Elfin

i agree show was BORING!! all the shows on were the same as lat yr... and the yr before... and the yr before... needs a massive vamp up i think.

new shows, move the indoor show outside and have them running once or twice a day not every hr!!!

There was nothing to buy... and nothing was on special...

DISSAPOINTMENT!!

The breed stalls were good but i wish they were all there! were was the dobes and rotties and gundogs club... i could go on for days...

I got to see a friend who got CC for Leonbergers which gave her the Ch title!! yay!! GO MIMI!! Congrats Jenny :)

How boring is it this year, far out I would be VERY unhappy if I payd to get in..I didnt even buy anything at all...

I felt the same but didn't want to say anything in case it was just me! :)

I was telling my best friend last night how much it has changed and I have attended lots of them, even the very first one at the old Exhibition Buildings.

I would be surprised if it runs next year- don't get me wrong the volunteers all do a great job and it is very hard work being there all three days- but the trade stands each year just keep on dwindling.

I was happy to grab some Aussiedog spare parts and to see that Studio Sebastian was back but we went back in to try to find Aussie Pet Health Treats and they were a no-show, listed on the info but MIA!

I believe the problem started when the stall-holder fees went up dramatically. I enjoyed the first couple of years that I went as well. There were so many stall-holders and you would come away with many free samples/show bags. You needed to allow at least 2 or more hours to get around to view all the stall holders.

Then the stall-holder fees went up. Some stall-holders stopped going. Most stopped providing the free samples, and if they did have any they had to charge a fee for them. I also noticed that the prices they sold their wares for (which in the early years were cheaper than what you could purchase retail from them at other times and there were some really good bargains) were no cheaper than you would normally pay at any other time. Some of the stall-holders who were there initially were people who didn't have a shop front, so it was a great opportunity to 'see before you buy', when you visited their stall. But I noticed that most of those stopped going when there was a fee hike too, which really killed some of the advantage in it for me.

They also put the public entry fees up. Couple that fact with the above, and I no longer saw the worth in going any more. I stopped going about 4 years ago, I think. Although I visited once, but that was only because there was something specific that I wanted. Turned out the stall holder who sold the item that I wanted, also has stopped going.

I think the management are killing it with their charges, especially to the stall holders.

I know that one stall holder, a few years back, said the rent for the stall space (not a huge area either) was something like $4000.00. That's a lot of money for the privilege of promotion.

ETA: I see Studio Sebastian is back? THAT is who I went to find last year, only to find out they weren't there. I seriously want another of their big terracotta dog drinking bowls. Phooey that I missed them, but perhaps if they are back again next year I can get someone to get it for me.

Edited by Erny

As for the breed stands, the co-ordinator for the Gundog Club was unable to co-ordinate for this year unfortunately. As for the others I don't know, but it's bl**dy hard work (I have done one myself). You are watching your dog all day, trying to speak postively of the breed whilst also somewhat controlling the general publics interactions with your dog.

The breed clubs need to be big enough that people can work in shifts and for a lot of clubs that is difficult. You also need the right type of dogs for the job.

You also need people who are willing to travel and give up their time for nothing even if the weather's hot and many people don't live in the South East.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller