Walking The Dog Log

Daisy

I have 3 dogs, plus my son's dog that he is leaving with me when he goes off to join the Navy next week. I also usually have a foster or two. But I don't walk them all that often :D I do have a large back yard and they get lots of attention, but I know they would be happier if they got more walks - even though my own dogs (greyhounds and a whippet) are very laid back and don't go stir crazy, they would still enjoy getting out more. AND I have put on a lot of weight, so walking would be of benefit to me too.

So I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who doesn't walk their dogs a lot either, and would like to join me in this thread to encourage each other to get out and walk more. I always have good intentions, but then I am too tired, my feet hurt, too busy etc etc (or just too engrossed in DOL :D :) :) )

So I thought this thread would be a way of holding myself accountable, kind of like a weight loss or quitting smoking thread or something like that.

Anyway, here goes:

Day 1: walked Hugo (foster) for half an hour this morning, then took Clyde (greyhound) for a short amble as he is an older guy and doesn't really like long walks.

ETA if you want to have a go at me or others for not walking their dogs enough, or if you want to point out self-righteously how often you walk your dog, please start another thread so we can keep this one positive and encouraging!

Dog-loggers :(

Daisy

SBT123

Trishm

Mr R and NR

Saxonpup

SparkyTansy

Miss Monster

jettyjet

Pepper & Jax

KOUKLI

Mother Moocher

MTD

Asari

Cuchulain

Crazy Daisy

pip1981

Teebs

tez

BMP

Kelpiepupmum

Casima

mutt lover (honorary member)

Trisven13

mish13

manlynau

Edited by Daisy

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I',m a bit slack this time of the year, it is so hot :) , so it is walking either early in the morning or later in the evening, and by then I am usually pooped and don't want to go out.

My greyhound, who is 10, is happy with a little trot around the block, and 2 of my whippies are 14 and 12, so they don't really enjoy long walks when it is so warm, even my boy who is 6 gets lazy in the heat..............they just laze around in the aircon, but I do feel guilty because they do love to get out and have a sniff etc.

So I will join you as I need to lose weight too................ :(

Trish

Good on you Daisy, a good idea. I looked at my two the other day and can see the weight creeping on because in this weather they simply don't get enough exercise, I HATE the heat. I have been getting up in the morning early to take them before work. As much as I hate the thought of it, once I am up and out it is really nice. I only have two dogs and they can go together but you have 4+ :)

Good luck :(

Day 1: walked Hugo (foster) for half an hour this morning, then took Clyde (greyhound) for a short amble as he is an older guy and doesn't really like long walks.

Fantastic start Daisy, half hour+ on day one! My excuse is that Saxon's been too young for much walking, but he's six months now (and totally full of energy) so I really don't have an excuse for not doing 30 mins per day. And I could definitely benefit from the exercise too!

well done Daisy!!

I am on day two of my morning walks... except day one happened about a week ago!! this morning i was up at 5am and took Ari for a walk/run and got back at around 6.15am... covered some training, retrieving and a little jogging (for me!)...

I really lack motivation, and i can guarantee unless i have someone else there to motivate me to get up and about, I will allow this new regime to taper to nothing. OH and i go for walks at night, and we are pretty consistent, but mornings i am NOT...

so, i'll join!!

Yes I need this... wish the weather would clear up - it's been raining/cloudy every day since Christmas eve!

Mine don't go stir crazy either but I know they love it. I've got the flu at the moment (hence being at home on dol mid day) but starting next week I'll check in!

My problem is last walk I did was 2.6km - by the end Meish was lagging and Bakari still did zoomies when we got home! :champagne:

Edited by Miss Monster

I am afraid I am in the same boat as MM. I have the flu atm too, sucky weather for it. But I am hoping I will be over it by next week and I will be happy to do it too. My plan was to get in a routine when I got back to work. I wanted to walk Jet in the morning before work for 30 minutes but the flu stopped me.

I've been meaning to get Jasmine out for a 30min-45min walk in the morning before work instead of every second evening or so.

I even have the alarm set to allow me heaps of time to do this but the snooze button is really great in the morning :champagne:

I cant take her tommrow since shes fasting the night for her desexing op tommorow and probably wont walk her until I know she has healed which I'm hoping is going to be Mondayish. From next week (sometime) I WILL walk Jasmine in the mornings! lol

Oh lordy - how I can relate. I've had some virus for nearly 4 weeks, and it is sooooo hot, even the thought of going out has me just about expiring, and don't mention the WEIGHT. Even my brother who is notorious for not noticing anything about people, suggested I should try to lose some weight.

I have seven dogs at the moment: 3 of my own and 4 fosters, so I really have to psych myself up to get out. They really should have two walks a day and I certainly have the time as I am retired, but a lot of the time neither the mind nor the flesh is willing :champagne::thumbsup: .

But, boy, do I feel good when I have taken them all out. They love it so much and knowing I have done the right thing makes me feel so much better.

Today is much cooler so I had absolutely no excuse whatsoever. And now they are all quiet and happily flaked out on their beds.

Me.. Me.. Me..

Poor Maggie , since luring stopped for summer I have been so slack. Took her for a run last weekend and it nearly killed us both . Need to get back into walking ( running for her ).

ok im guilty the furkids havent been out for months due to work and yes i know thats noooo excuse but an finding the motivation part is hiding somewere that i cant find it. Ilook at Maya that put on 2 1/2 kg due to a phantom before xmas and think to myself how the hell am i going to get her weight of before the next season if i dont get or find the energy to walk her.I think i need a kick in the behind.

So here goes nothing :thumbsup: im in and tonight im getting out the front door with kids in hand . Ill be back to let you know how i got on. :champagne:

Yes please, sign me up! Although I can't walk Max long as he is still too young I do need the motivation to get my bum into gear and do it at least once a day. The weather here has been really foul since before Christmas. It's either blazing hot at 05:00 or there's a howling gale! :rofl: Thanks for the motivation, I think it's a great idea.

I'll join too.

I'm slack, I go to the gym most days and then come home and think "I've already done my exercise for the day". So I shut the front gate and let the dogs have a run around the acre. I know they need stimulation and to go to more places than around the block or dog training.

I did take Ruff and Daisy for an hour walk yesterday but after 45mins I had to carry Daisy home up a large hill as she was pooped. So I vow to work on her fitness and get rid of the few extra pounds that have crept on her.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

I don't know how this thread has managed to motivate me, but it has!!

Dakota gets a lot of stimulation/exercise simply from the games we play (and the spethal games she plays all on her own), and she's very petite, but deep down, i do know she needs to walk, and we don't walk nearly enough.

And I'm putting on weight like no tomorrow! I don't see myself finding the motivation to stop eating junk anytime very soon, so I should at least attempt to shift some weight with exercise!

I'm going right now! It's about time I tried out the new martingale collar anyway...

I'll report in later :rofl:

Edited by pip1981

I have been really good the last few weeks, I normally walk so many other dogs, that i just dont wanna walk mine when I get home!

I only walk Kaos, At sometimes gets a walk around the block, but at the moment his arthritis is playing up so much he doesnt even want to walk inside :)

So far, since the 2nd, i have walked for between an hour, and 1.5 hours each night with kaos. It has only been a few days, but i have already noticed a difference in myself, my pants fit a bit better :rofl:

I'm back already, but at least I went! It is still fairly warm outside here, I didn't realise this while sitting in my air-conditioned living room, lol.

Ok, I think the martingale is more effective than the harness, but I really need to start doing some obedience with her I think, she just doesn't take me seriously, even when I really mean it, the spoilt brat took me for a walk.

On the up side, I wasn't the only one being taken for a walk! I got to meet another Samoyed in my housing estate (whom I've never seen, kinda proves I don't walk Dakota enough huh?), and a Sibe, taking their humans for a walk. I think the big male Sammy would have been ok meeting Dakota on his own, but I think he kinda fed off the female Sibe's vibes, and he scared my little wussy girl, so that meeting was short-lived.

Sorry, went a bit OT.

So, Day 1. Easy walk 30 mins max.

I aim to walk fairly late tomorrow night, as it's gonna be a stinker here, then probably no walk on Saturday, even hotter. Sunday we have the Melbourne social dog meet at Kepala, so she will get plenty of exercise, I'll just have to run with the dogs too..lol.

p.s Good on you Teebs, I'd love my pants to fit better...

My favorite part of the day is walking my 2 doggies.

I used to think of it as another 'household chore'and now I have turned it into a highlight of my day. I got sick of being angry cause they wanted to go for a walk and I didn't (just finished work , tired, stressed, grumpy) and now when i get home i cant even have a drink cause they know we are going out for a walk. their tails wagging does it to me everytime ..... Unconditional Love

Good luck Daisy and everyone else.

Remember it is a highlight not a chore, Pleasure not Pain