Dogs And Baited Mice

Ceilidh

Most poisons available now are one feed one kill or double dose. They will cause secondary poisoning especially in medium/small dogs. Boss just lost a cat to Tomcat II blocks, only took one mouse.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys - secondary poisoning definitely does happen! We have been having on average 1-2 dogs a day affected with poisoning and around half of those have no direct access to the baits.

The zinc phosphide baits are horrible! If your dog or cat gets a tiny piece of this they can die, and there isn't a heap us vets can do to help - often they don't even make it into the vet clinic after eating it. And there is not a heap known about the secondary poisoning form this - I wouldn't risk it though, it is just too dangerous. And you are right - this poison is only registered for rural use and should not be used in town or even around sheds/buildings.

It is doing a great job of killing of the wildlife here, all the poor birds are eating the baited grain!

dont forget too products like Pindone are also flying off the shelves. We've sold a rediculous amount in the past couple of weeks. Non selective, will kill anything that eats it so dont let your dogs pick up dead birds, rabbits or rodents in rural areas. If you cannot control your dogs reflexes put a plastic muzzle on it.

It is doing a great job of killing of the wildlife here, all the poor birds are eating the baited grain!

:( :( :(

I know its absolutely terrible. My life seems to revolve around rat bait at the moment and I must say I am way more than over it. I can't wait until this plague comes under control. :(

I know its absolutely terrible. My life seems to revolve around rat bait at the moment and I must say I am way more than over it. I can't wait until this plague comes under control. :(

Who'd have thought there was an upside to being in drought.

My Toy Poodle told me this morning that we've got little furry house guests again.

The traps will be going out again tonight.

I'll have a chuckle now :laugh:

We bait the ceiling when we have them, never had a smelly dead mouse up there but the mice are nowhere to be seen. We've not had any for at least two years now. I'm sure they'll move back in this year, given the numbers about

Another mouse caught last night. Total catch now since March is 6 in traps and 1 by dog - and there's more around. :(

Another mouse caught last night. Total catch now since March is 6 in traps and 1 by dog - and there's more around. :(

only 6? you're lucky, the co-worker I mentioned before lives northside ACT and caught 5 over the weekend. I live not too far away and caught 13 from March to mid April. :eek: nasty little critters.

• 3 weeks later...

seen an article today about the mice plague where a farmer actually had mice gnawing at his live pigs,any way his preventative was coating the pigs with engine oil (not for dogs perhaps) and his cost effective bait was icing sugar mixed with cement dust...any comments on this as far as the secondary poisoning subject goes???

I recall the mouse plague we had when I was a teenager. It was so bad that I'd load 6 or 10 traps in the horse feed shed and then saw no point in leaving because by the time the last trap was loaded, the first then the second etc. needed emptying and re-loading again. I used to spend a while just waiting. Any extra's, I'd slam a brick down on them. It was nothing to collect 30 dead mice from the traps inside 20 minutes.

After the mouse plague, came the rat plague.

The mice and rats in plague form were quite pretty, as it is then that they come out in various colours other than just plain mousey brown.

Edited by Erny

This is my problem, I have rats and mice, Rats in the ceiling and mice in my cupboards.

I also have owls and a Brown Falcon that visit my garden.

Plus someones cat and other animals and birds I like and dont want to kill.

Haveing prey driven dogs, makes it hard as well.

Maybe I will try Raccumin.

I have heard of people in my area catching anything from twenty to sixty mice a night. Lots of people seems to have converted drums into mouse traps with ramps leading up and water sprinkled with chaff inside.

Good idea. I used to catch lots of mice and rats in my 44 gallon drums of feed (before I put heavy metal covers on them).

To answer the OP, I wouldn't like my dog eating any dead animal whose stomach was filled with cement.

mac'ella, feeding rodents cement is incredibly cruel. Pest or not, that is just horrific.

so is bleeding to death slowly over a period of days ... so is being caught by a cat .

We`have used the plaster or cement mixed with gravox or icing sugar or cocoa it seemed to work .. but I certainly didn't go looking for bodies .

What happens is the mice eat.. go to a water source,drink... and the stuff swells in their stomach... and they die a painful, but fairly fast death. I still think it's better than glue traps ..or even drowning.

I prefer instant death for them.. but when there are hundreds,and they are chewing peoples' hair while they sleep , etc . ,and there is a real risk of secondary poisoning for wildlife/pets ..what do you do? :(

I just found the blurb for racumin ... HERE - as some good information on general pest rodent behaviour/ID etc.

mac'ella, feeding rodents cement is incredibly cruel. Pest or not, that is just horrific.

I think all the poisons cause the mice to suffer as do traps (if not a clean kill).This was an article I read.I have no intention of using it,I was thinking more of whether the effects on a dog eating a mouse that has eaten this would be less than a toxic bait.Its possible that the icing sugar would dissolve after a period leaving a passable crumbly pellet of cement but my worry is whether this could cause harm to the dog.I dont get many around but when there is I have been using the Ketchall trap and gassing the mice with car exhaust which appears painless, others may disagree?