"time To Eat The Dog?"

MarieC

I just heard a BBC report on this book which somebody gave me for Xmas ... hmmm ..

My first reaction was to smile while deciding to toss it in the recycle bin later :( ... but maybe I might read it if I'm ever really bored.

http://tinyurl.com/y9zfv9j

Ever wonder who’s doing the most damage to the environment? Try checking the doghouse.

According to a new book entitled "Time to Eat the Dog: The Real Guide to Sustainable Living," by Robert and Brenda Vale, a medium-sized dog has a larger carbon footprint that an SUV.

NewScientist.com reports that, since dogs and cats usually eat meat exclusively, they have a higher carbon footprint than a human being who eats a mixture of fruits, vegetables, meats and grains. The Vales estimate that dogs eat about 361.5 pounds of meat each year. If it takes 1.67 miles to farm just 2.2 pounds of chicken, it’s not difficult to see how domesticated pets can put a serious drain on the environment.

Anyway, has anybody here read this book?

I see the authors already have some fans :)

http://tinyurl.com/yeozxdw

(language warning)

Edited by MarieC

Yeah, it has been big news here in NZ. There are so many 'holes' in their research though. Anyway, I don't drive a SUV, I buy and support local farmers and producers, use environmentally friendly house/laundry/dog products, so that little damage is done.

I think that makes up for three dogs - otherwise tough! :(

Edited by NZVizsla

Well said NZV! My three westies all have veggies with their meat every night so they only have a light carbon footprint - otherwise tough here too :(

Yeah, it has been big news here in NZ. There are so many 'holes' in their research though. Anyway, I don't drive a SUV, I buy and support local farmers and producers, use environmentally friendly house/laundry/dog products, so that little damage is done.

I think that makes up for three dogs - otherwise tough! :)

I haven't read it, but would be interested to. Whilst I probably wont agree with all of it, I think it highlights to people that there are so many things adding to global warming - its not just the big things people usually think of like cars, industry etc, but that everything right down to a Chihuahua leaves a carbon footprint (or pawprint!)

I too have heard the medium sized dog = SUV, whilst I think the comparison with a car is a little ridiculous, It is just a fact that carnivores make a larger impact upon the environment. You simply cannot argue with that.

Yep I own a dog and a cat, and I am very concerned about reducing my carbon footprint.

I figure i just have to be aware and try to do everything in my power to minimise my impact. Its not mutually exclusive.

Hmm, looks like I'm stuffed. I drive an SUV and have 2 Great Danes (the car is for the dogs) :(

And, to top it off, I work in the aviation industry. We still use leaded fuel.

Note to self..........................must plant more trees :)

That they say that dogs usually eat meat exclusively automatically tells me they don't know what they are talking about... Dogs are omnivores like humans, not carnivores.

I agree. They don't seem to know much about dogs at all. It sounds like someone just wants to make a little money with a lame idea. :D Dogs ate animals in the wild and didn't cause global warming. They don't buy cars, set up farms, log rain-forests etc. They are not responsible for the behaviour of humans or for messing up the environment.

I'd chuck it in the bin. :(

My lot don't eat a lot of meat anyway - and actually I'm vegetarian so what they do eat I make up for.... or vice versa or somthing :heart::)

pffft what a load of crap.

Dogs are not the only animals who eat meat. So what should we do? get rid of them all??

My dog eats roo... It's wild, free-range , whatever you want to call it. But definitely NOT farmed :heart: I doubt all those chicken carcusses and necks my dog eats were farmed especially for him either -they're left overs from the HUMAN food industry. Or do the writers of the book think that there are specific chicken neck and frame farms out there, shipping thier purposely bred chickens out to the dog food factory :(

What about a book about how to chose an environmentally friendly brand of dog food? I think THAT would be more useful :)

Chuck it in the bin I say :D

I'm an ecological hazard then - drive a 4wd (in the city) and have 1 (it will be 2 in 12 sleeps time) large breed dog/s - however my boy do (and will) eat veggies and fruit as well as meat oh and yes I have a cat too .....

Oh and I refuse to buy recycled toilet paper! (ugh!)

but we try to reduce our carbon footprint in other ways (shopping for locally produced fruit and veg, recycling, green power etc) - besides there's not much meat on a GSP so it wouldn't sustain anyone very long :(

Edited by FionaC

Dogs are omnivores like humans, not carnivores.

I am very curious where is this coming from? When I was studying the dogs were carnivores. Anything I read since showed that dental, anatomical and physiological features place dogs within carnivores. Not to mention belonging to the order Carnivora. Dogs kept as pets don't have a choice about their food, but I really doubt they would choose anyhthing but meat if it was up to them.

Edited by felix

Wild dogs, wolves etc etc while carnivores - will eat the intestinal tract and organs of a kill first. Watch a dog if you ever see one catch a rabbit, kill and eat it - they are so very efficient and quick to show their primal origins. They will also eat the intestinal tract and organs - then skin the rabbit and then settle down to enjoy the carcass. So technically this means they will eat vegetation - through that of the kill they make if given the chance. On average this would make a natural diet for a canine 60 % bone, 30 % meat and 10% vegetation - the perfect Barf diet :laugh:.