Please Make Sure Your Dogs Are Okay In The Heat

InspectorRex

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The news on 9 has just ammended melbournes temp to 45c.

No I feel extra guilty about not leaving the air con on.

dont feel guilty. they will be fine.

Its not going to get below 30c tonight until maybe 6 in the morning. When you get home, If you have a few fans, chuck them on first and move the hot air around before you stick the AC on, cool air doesnt move, just sinks.

Youll be right :thumbsup:

Supposed to top at 43 today but it's there an hour ago, don't think I'll check BOM again, just pretend it's not getting hotter.

I'm another who is a bit scared of a clam shell in the yard attracting snakes which we get enough of. Abby would love one I'm sure, Mick reckons water's only for drinking, but she has to manage with the following in the kitchen -

post-654-1263177366_thumb.jpg

Enough water over the floor from that, I can imagine what a clam shell would shed.

wish my neighbours behind me were home

their poor dogs outside and the wind in stifling here

yes they have shade and water bowls

but the heat even in the shade is terrible

Could you throw some wet blankets/towels/old stuf over the fence for them? Poor dogs :thumbsup:

the wet stuff will be cooking after a few minutes, I'd be more inclined to spray the bushes soil grass etc in the shady spots every hour or so, we do that out the back for the birds possums and lizards on these disgusting days. We have had a few possums die from heat stress over the last few years and this preventative was recommended by Help for Wildlife in VIC

Great pics as usual grumpette. :thumbsup:

Well, I feel very lucky that I work from home, so I can keep an eye on things.

Around 11.30am when my yard started hotting up, mine all came in are now sitting under the air-cond in my bedroom.

Before they came in they had a dip in their clam shell. They will be let out intermittently during the day to empty and drink and come straight back in again. Although their garage is quite cool as it is insulated and all set up specifically for them, once it hit about 36 it gets pretty warm out there also.

If I was still working full time away from home as I used to, they would be outside, plenty of water and shelter and their Polar Pads, and I am sure they would have been fine. I have never had any problems with dogs expiring when I used to have to leave them out. Generally most healthy, non-geriatric dogs handle the heat quite well, I have found.

If I can I will get a pic latr of jag in his clam shell too Grumpette. :thumbsup:

I just checked the Bom website and near where i live its meant to be 43... i just checked my weather station which is in the shade and it has just peaked at 44.5 :thumbsup:

Thank dog i work nights so my dogs are never outside in the hot sun.... Max my cockatiel loves being outside so he can chirp to the other birds but i have him inside today and by dog he is loud! he is driving me nuts :thumbsup:

Edited by LongWhiteCloud

Could you throw some wet blankets/towels/old stuf over the fence for them? Poor dogs :thumbsup:

No good doing that as the dogs would start running around ripping them to shreds

they were in the shade of the backyard when I looked before

( a L shaped house so the shade is in the middle of the L shape under a veranda )

I'd be more inclined to spray the bushes soil grass etc in the shady spots every hour or so

and nope cant do that

if you sprayed the bushes in this heat you will end up killing the bushes by cooking them when so hot

and the soil / lawn is in the sun so only would encourage the dogs out to play in sun

love the pics of dogs in their pools and tubs :thumbsup:

Wow Grumpette - Zephyr is so grown up already!!

Evie, much to her disgust, is in her soft pen under a ceiling fan, with the evap on her. Well, she likes the cool, just not being inside. Would rather be under a tree but she turns 10 in a few days and I'm not about to leave her out there!

Sags

Could you throw some wet blankets/towels/old stuf over the fence for them? Poor dogs :rofl:

No good doing that as the dogs would start running around ripping them to shreds

they were in the shade of the backyard when I looked before

( a L shaped house so the shade is in the middle of the L shape under a veranda )

I'd be more inclined to spray the bushes soil grass etc in the shady spots every hour or so

and nope cant do that

if you sprayed the bushes in this heat you will end up killing the bushes by cooking them when so hot

and the soil / lawn is in the sun so only would encourage the dogs out to play in sun

love the pics of dogs in their pools and tubs :rofl:

thats why I said spray in the shady spots. Ours have never cooked in the shade.

As to the DOLer who enquired about the horse, it has been moved (before 9.15am when I went past it ).

RSPCA Senior Inspector was out first thing this morning and they have been inundated with calls from locals, the Police etc for several days and were warned that it would get taken to media if not moved.

5pm news just said 43 degrees and now tomorrow is going to be 36 degrees :rofl: before we get a cool change.

Please take care, everyone.