If One More Person Asks Me...... Grrrr

pixie_meg

Is he a whippet?! He doesn't look a thing like a whippet (apart from typical skinny sighthound traits). I love whippets but my boy doesn't look like one. If i'm unsure about what breed someones dog is i just ask them what it is. I guess sometimes but only when pretty sure.

So when i tell them he's a borzoi, they look at me like i've made the breed up. I get that they're a little rare but i own the dog, you'd think they'd just believe me. if it was a once off i wouldn't care but i'd say for every outing we have at least 2 people ask if he's a whippet.

maybe i'm just being too sensitive but its getting annoying.

DSC_1700.jpg

and a whippet

whippet437x_1191991464500.jpg

Edited by pixie_meg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm interesting looking Whippet :thumbsup:

When he is fully grown they will probably ask you if you have a saddle for him or something!

It probably deosn't help he doesn't have much coat at the moment (although much more than a Whippet!)

Make up a flyer and smile sweetly and distribute it when asked.

Having said that no matter what the breed you will get some sort of comment, mine is look at that skinny dog - even though Rommi was a little porky at that stage. Or look at the baby greyhound.

He looks like a long haired whippet to me :thumbsup::laugh:

It's just one of those things with a rare breed, I've lost count of the times people have asked about my 'Dobermann puppy' but I don't mind and I don't expect anyone to know what she is, it gives me a chance to tell them about the Manchester Terrier and educate them a bit :thumbsup:

Some do the good thing and ask what breed she is first.

On Saturday I took her out and she was correctly identified as a Manchester Terrier by two different people, I was very impressed :laugh: But one owns Min Pins and English Toy Terriers so doesn't really count :eek:

Is he a whippet?! He doesn't look a thing like a whippet (apart from typical skinny sighthound traits). I love whippets but my boy doesn't look like one. If i'm unsure about what breed someones dog is i just ask them what it is. I guess sometimes but only when pretty sure.

So when i tell them he's a borzoi, they look at me like i've made the breed up. I get that they're a little rare but i own the dog, you'd think they'd just believe me. if it was a once off i wouldn't care but i'd say for every outing we have at least 2 people ask if he's a whippet.

maybe i'm just being too sensitive but its getting annoying.

and a whippet

Does it matter? Surely an opportunity to stop and show off your breed. I'm always asked if mine are related--four rescue dogs of different ages or whether our slightly larger dog is the mother to the other three. Nice to have a chance to stop, talk dogs. meet the neighbours and promote rescue.

Di

He looks like a long haired whippet to me :thumbsup::laugh:

It's just one of those things with a rare breed, I've lost count of the times people have asked about my 'Dobermann puppy' but I don't mind and I don't expect anyone to know what she is, it gives me a chance to tell them about the Manchester Terrier and educate them a bit :thumbsup:

Some do the good thing and ask what breed she is first.

On Saturday I took her out and she was correctly identified as a Manchester Terrier by two different people, I was very impressed :laugh: But one owns Min Pins and English Toy Terriers so doesn't really count :eek:

oh i love telling people about the breed and that shock horror he is only 17 weeks old(that really catches them off guard) but its the looks i get when they think i've made up his breed. Just glad no one asks if he's a collie pup anymore.

It doesn't matter if your breed is rare or not.

I've lost count of the number of people who've told me I've got a lovely male Labrador :thumbsup: The people who guess Golden Retriever are in the minority, and I think only two people have correctly said female, despite her being a very feminine dog.

Oh, or a long haired Labrador, I get that too. Maybe you have a long haired Whippet? :thumbsup:

So many people have zilch idea.

I have an adult Golden retriever who we adopted recently- I thought they would have been one of the most common breeds around, but every other day I get someone asking me what breed she is! :thumbsup: That or they tell me GRs are just long haired Labs! :thumbsup:

Oops, Serket got in before me!! :laugh: just proves how insidious it is.

Edited by ✽deelee

It doesn't matter if your breed is rare or not.

I've lost count of the number of people who've told me I've got a lovely male Labrador :thumbsup: The people who guess Golden Retriever are in the minority, and I think only two people have correctly said female, despite her being a very feminine dog.

Oh, or a long haired Labrador, I get that too. Maybe you have a long haired Whippet? :thumbsup:

oh and they call him a girl which i don't mind really but you correct them politely and they still call him a girl. lol.

I guess i'll just wait for him to be fully grown and then he'll be called a long haired greyhound instead.

I get the baby greyhound or whippet query with my iggy all the time. Most people haven't heard of an italian greyhound before.

Just have to say though that Oberon is just gorgeous :thumbsup:

Does it matter? Surely an opportunity to stop and show off your breed. I'm always asked if mine are related--four rescue dogs of different ages or whether our slightly larger dog is the mother to the other three. Nice to have a chance to stop, talk dogs. meet the neighbours and promote rescue.

Yes, PM, maybe looking at it as an opportunity might overcome the annoyance.

I understand the kind of reactions you get...I'm forever being asked by people if my tibbies are pekes.

Only problem I have, is the danger of collapsing from shock, whenever a stranger DOES say, 'They're tibetan spaniels!' Usually turns out, one of their rellies or friends has a tibbie. And then they go on about what a lovely dog it is. I can enjoy listening to that. :thumbsup:

Edited by mita

Guest belgian.blue

I know the feeling :thumbsup:

I have Belgian Shepherd .. black in colour.

German Shepherd cross? Black Lassie? Lassie cross?

Most think she's a cross with something :thumbsup: And it makes me oh so happy when someone actually knows what she is .. like yesterday!!

oh and they call him a girl which i don't mind really but you correct them politely and they still call him a girl. lol.

If it makes you feel better, my girl got called a boy a few times the other day, and she was wearing a bright pink collar with diamantes on it :thumbsup:

Yep, one of the good things about having a rare breed is the joy you feel when someone correctly identifies your breed! You start to appreciate small things like that :thumbsup:

Yep, one of the good things about having a rare breed is the joy you feel when someone correctly identifies your breed! You start to appreciate small things like that :thumbsup:

oh i love it when it happens. gives me warm fuzzies.

Belgian.blue, i love seeing belgians. Saw a black one at the dog park on Saturday, just gorgeous.

You should be flattered!

:thumbsup:

Beagles are pretty common and most people easily identify them, but not Daisy - I get asked what she is all the time, even though tan and whites are pretty common in the breed. Recently I was at the park and there was another (tri coloured) beagle nearby and a person pointed it out and said - "Now I know that one's a beagle, but I don't know what that is (points to Daisy)". Poor Daisy, she always gets asked if she's a crossbreed :thumbsup:

I've also been asked if my grey and white Siberian is a GSD, on more than one occasion!