If One More Person Asks Me...... Grrrr

pixie_meg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it just happens... learn to expect that people won't know what he is and use it as an opportunity to educate someone about the breed.

I have had many who think my English setters are dally cross, or educate me on what an Irish setter should look like. Ask me if my weimaraners are greyhounds because they are grey and slim, and call my setters girls probably cos they have long hair and look "pretty"... my wei, the short coated breed, is often a boy for the opposite reason... The most classic is the look on peoples faces when you tell them you have a WEI-MAR-AN-ER and their attempts to pronounce it afterwards...

I get asked ll the time if my curly coated retriever is a labradoodle. When I say shes a ccr they look like I've made that breed up, so I follow on with she's an Australian Champion and give a brief history on the breed. I love it when someone gets her breed right.

I get asked ll the time if my curly coated retriever is a labradoodle. When I say shes a ccr they look like I've made that breed up, so I follow on with she's an Australian Champion and give a brief history on the breed. I love it when someone gets her breed right.

this happened to someone at a pet expo once also with their Irish Water Spaniels... it was announced as they came on the stage that they were some lovely labradoodles, only to be sharply corrected by their owner... it was just after I gave the same guy a dirty look for calling my English Setter a Dally X! but really, how many people out there are going to know about CCRs, IWS and English Setters, the difference between a puppy borzoi and a whippet... it's all the more reason we need to educate and talk about our breeds with pride!!

I always adored walking Tammy the Portuguese Water Dog in show clip, to be told that she can't be a Poodle because she is too big. (Like I was pretending she was a Poodle? :rofl:)

No one ever guessed LabxPoodle except at a dog show where someone came up and deliberately walked around the back before proclaiming "well it can't be a Labradoodle in that clip" :rofl: ETA: but they still weren't game enough to guess what she might be.

Edited by Sandra777

but really, how many people out there are going to know about CCRs, IWS and English Setters, the difference between a puppy borzoi and a whippet... it's all the more reason we need to educate and talk about our breeds with pride!!

:rofl: :rofl:

Yep, get them out there, show them off and educate people with a friendly tone and a smile! Most of the people I have come across have been keen to learn about my breed.

Your Borzoi is "wery lufly darlink"! LOL

I must admit I'm a bit stupid about breeds sometimes and I've been a dog fancier ALL my life. I just get confused sometimes, particulary breeds I'm not around much. True it would be better I suppose to ASK rather than GUESS or ASSUME but the English language is very clumsy and doesn't alway work in the most sensible ways!

Funnily enough your young dog (whos markings are beautiful by the way) does slightly resemble a "Whippet X Collie" that I once knew, and cared for, strange that. I'm sure the resemblance will pass as he matures.

He is a very striking dog and will attract attention.

I saw a lady get all cut up at the vets once because someone called her Italian Greyhound a Whippet.

I think we need to be a bit more tolerant. There are a lot of breeds out there and enless combinations thereof.

I always adored walking Tammy the Portuguese Water Dog in show clip, to be told that she can't be a Poodle because she is too big. (Like I was pretending she was a Poodle? :rofl:)

No one ever guessed LabxPoodle except at a dog show where someone came up and deliberately walked around the back before proclaiming "well it can't be a Labradoodle in that clip" :) ETA: but they still weren't game enough to guess what she might be.

Were they expecting to find a labradoodle at a dog show????? :rofl:

Yep, get them out there, show them off and educate people with a friendly tone and a smile! Most of the people I have come across have been keen to learn about my breed.

Hold that good thought! If you were out walking & met this dog, what would you say she is?

post-3304-1263186074_thumb.jpg

Before I came on DOL there are so many breeds I had never heard of.

Because I was interested in learing about different breeds I was that person that asked people what their dog was.

Im sure I was way off many times but never meant to offend anyone.

Use it as an opportunity to talk about your beloved breed and dont take it to heart :rofl:

Story of my life! :)

Conversations usually go like this ....

Person 1 whispering to person 2 with great authority - "that's a Siberian Husky/Alaskan Malamute/Border Collie" (take your pick)

Person 2 to me - "what breed is that?"

Me - "s/he's a Finnish Lapphund."

Person 2 - "a what?!?"

Me (a little slower) - "a Finnish Lapphund."

Person 2 - "oh."

Person 2 whispering to person 1 - "what did she say?"

Person 1 - "what breed did you say again?"

Me - "a Finnish Lapphund"

Person 1 - "is that like a Husky."

Me - "no, they are a spitz breed, but no they're a different breed to the Siberian Husky"

Person 1 - "is it crossed with a Husky."

Me - "no, it is a Finnish Lapphund, that's the breed."

Person 2 - "what country is that from?"

Me (with eyebrows raised ever so slightly) - "from Finland"

Person 2 - "oh ... oh yeah"

They turn away. Whisper whisper. Then turn back.

Person 1 - "how did you say that breed name again?"

:rofl: of course, generally I am a bit more helpful and keen with information, but when you've been through the same conversation repeated times in the same day ..... :rofl:

Is he a whippet?! He doesn't look a thing like a whippet (apart from typical skinny sighthound traits). I love whippets but my boy doesn't look like one. If i'm unsure about what breed someones dog is i just ask them what it is. I guess sometimes but only when pretty sure.

So when i tell them he's a borzoi, they look at me like i've made the breed up. I get that they're a little rare but i own the dog, you'd think they'd just believe me. if it was a once off i wouldn't care but i'd say for every outing we have at least 2 people ask if he's a whippet.

maybe i'm just being too sensitive but its getting annoying.

and a whippet

To the public he would look like a long haired whippet maybe a cross.

Your breed isn't popular, I guess that's what comes with having an "unusual" breed

Before I came on DOL there are so many breeds I had never heard of.

Because I was interested in learing about different breeds I was that person that asked people what their dog was.

Im sure I was way off many times but never meant to offend anyone.

Use it as an opportunity to talk about your beloved breed and dont take it to heart :rofl:

i don't mind people asking what he is at all. if i was in their situation i'd just say what a lovely dog. What breed is he? Rather than stating questionably that he's a whippet.

Mita, thats the thing, if i'm not fairly certain i wouldn't just guess. so much easier to just ask the question.

Guest Kate_Summer

I would have said short hair collie cross something. BUT I never seen a Borzoi in real life :rofl: I didn't know they had different color coat & YES I'm a total ignorant of the breed itself, I know it exist & thats about it :rofl:

Story of my life! :)

Conversations usually go like this ....

Person 1 whispering to person 2 with great authority - "that's a Siberian Husky/Alaskan Malamute/Border Collie" (take your pick)

Person 2 to me - "what breed is that?"

Me - "s/he's a Finnish Lapphund."

Person 2 - "a what?!?"

Me (a little slower) - "a Finnish Lapphund."

Person 2 - "oh."

Person 2 whispering to person 1 - "what did she say?"

Person 1 - "what breed did you say again?"

Me - "a Finnish Lapphund"

Person 1 - "is that like a Husky."

Me - "no, they are a spitz breed, but no they're a different breed to the Siberian Husky"

Person 1 - "is it crossed with a Husky."

Me - "no, it is a Finnish Lapphund, that's the breed."

Person 2 - "what country is that from?"

Me (with eyebrows raised ever so slightly) - "from Finland"

Person 2 - "oh ... oh yeah"

They turn away. Whisper whisper. Then turn back.

Person 1 - "how did you say that breed name again?"

:rofl: of course, generally I am a bit more helpful and keen with information, but when you've been through the same conversation repeated times in the same day ..... :rofl:

sounds just like the conversations i've had. just substitute collie and whippet and greyhound in there.

If you were out walking & met this dog, what would you say she is?

post-3304-1263186074_thumb.jpg

I say she is very cute!

Don't worry pixie-meg, he'll soon outgrow the whippet references and be a greyhound cross, and you'll start getting the collie cross references again as well (it's the head I think).

I don't mind except when they argue with you - I even had a vet nurse insist that 'Borzoi' was a made up name :rofl:. She was quite happy that labradoodle was a 'proper' breed though :rofl:

Edited by Diva