Puppy Enquires

Sue

I got a puppy enquiry today so did what I normally do and searched the web for the person’s name and email address. It came up with a bebo page that was very interesting. The Potential Puppy Purchaser was a 21 year old psychology student who was “happiest when getting off my face with my mates” and she wanted to “F... over the person who stole her weed and ipod .”

I did reply to her telling her why she would not be on a waiting list and gave her the helpful hint that she should carefully consider what she posts as prospective employers do search the internet for such information when a person applies for a job.

Oh the joys of puppy enquiries. But thank god for the internet and stupid people!

Do other breeders search the web for instances of the email addresses and names of potential puppy buyers or am I just a cynical soul? :rofl:

Do other breeders search the web for instances of the email addresses and names of potential puppy buyers or am I just a cynical soul? :rofl:

I do, I also google earth there house to see what fences they have, see what vets they have in the area, ask what car they drive to see if a Dane will fit etc.

Yes I do google most. HOWEVER I am after criminal records etc. EVERY 21 year old would say (publicly) what your person said. This is the 'front' in a whole new social environment and sometimes (more often than you may think) those mingling atthe WWW party act as they think they should.

In almost all cases I take the time to try and meet the 'real' person rather then the www personna.

Never have done that...always have based my decisions on more tangible sources such as extensive chats and meetings with the actual person instead of what may have been put on an internet site.

Have been selling/breeding long before the world wide web and in all that time have made only two mistakes in selling a pup...all without the aid of google!

Never have done that...always have based my decisions on more tangible sources such as extensive chats and meetings with the actual person instead of what may have been put on an internet site.

Have been selling/breeding long before the world wide web and in all that time have made only two mistakes in selling a pup...all without the aid of google!

totally agree

I did reply to her telling her why she would not be on a waiting list and gave her the helpful hint that she should carefully consider what she posts as prospective employers do search the internet for such information when a person applies for a job.

wow that was uppity -

you never know for what or why reasons she wrote the things that she wrote (notwithstanding they are the communications of a 21yo to her peers)

Edited by lilli

I wouldn't have thought that web info would really be reliable - considering that part of cyber bullying can be setting up false pages / facebook sites to spite people etc etc

Perhaps you should do a search on your own name and see what comes up :thumbsup: - shocking and interesting.

I would much rather deal with people who will take the time to meet us and our dogs prior to the bitch even being mated and every single puppy prospect has either bought us photos of all prior dogs - their house etc etc or have invited us to inspect their home as well. The real world is where the dog will live and thats what I am interested in.

I would much rather deal with people who will take the time to meet us and our dogs prior to the bitch even being mated and every single puppy prospect has either bought us photos of all prior dogs - their house etc etc or have invited us to inspect their home as well. The real world is where the dog will live and thats what I am interested in.

Thats the way i do it ,we had several owners stop in when the pups were 2 weeks old,2 from qld!!

Ones that take the time to ring me when i ask them too from the original enquiry go onto the shorter list to start,the ones that keep ringing me,emailing,sending vet reports,refs etc go to the top and i work with those ones.

I think it is actually a little invasive to look at peoples houses via the internet,i can understand why some do it however,just not for me.I will no longer walk around feeding the dogs in a g-string,thongs and singlet,i'm paranoid one of you guys may see it now via satellite or something:laugh:

You are always going to have some that dont turn out ideal,minimising the chances is all you can do.

I think i heard it right ,someone (a puppy enquirer) for some breed was asked by the breeder for their last tax return???To me thats just going way over the top.

I am in 2 minds over checks. Also would not have sold this person the puppy.

Some checking is advisable its just how far & invasive is ok ?

While doing a google search & looking at their facebook is fine I feel that earth googling their house is a bit much, but it is there so people are entitled to use it.

Police checks are not really relevant. Many crooks love their animals & are good to them.

When I first set up my website a few years ago I put on it that registered breeders can apply for a pup or kitten but a home check would be done by myself or another if interstate. Some breeders did say this was intrusive.

Due to the crap way some are kept, more so cats IMO, I felt this was fair enough & would not mind if it was done to me.

It shows the person cares.

Its a matter of what you feel you need to do for peace of mind really.

I figure if new technology helps give peace of mind - why not use it? Everyone who I have 'google earthed' knows I have done it - I haven't been underhanded as I don't expect buyers to be. I google earth for a couple of reasons - check the name against the address to make absolutely sure I'm not being led up the garden path, make sure it is okay for a standard poodle (though I have already questioned prospective buyers as to their knowledge of the breed and it's requirements for a happy and healthy life) and, because I love all my pups I like to be able to picture where they are, just as I like to be able to picture where my children and grandchildren live overseas (thank-you SKYPE).

I can also think of an instance not so long ago that had experienced folk believing that a person lived on a property capable of housing various breeds for showing on lease arrangments. It ended up being a nightmare for more than one person and, if that property had beed google earthed, it would have been seen to be a small block on a main highway with no facilities.

Anything up front and honest that helps make sure our pups are going to good homes can't be bad.

While doing a google search & looking at their facebook is fine I feel that earth googling their house is a bit much, but it is there so people are entitled to use it.

I see it the opposite way - far more intrusive to go snooping into someone's personal business on FB than checking the area of their yard via Google maps. Though I'm not silly enough to leave my FB public, so I'm safe from intrusive breeders. :hug:

When I googled my name, it came up with a story of a person with the same name murdering her mother...

How do you even know you have the right person when you google them?

Sorry but :thumbsup: Never even thought of something like that. Seriously not good though.

When I googled my name, it came up with a story of a person with the same name murdering her mother...

I agree - there are dozens of people out there with the same names etc its easy to confuse who is who???

My darling sister searched for me on facebook and found my so called profile - once accepted she found out her innocent younger sister was in fact a stripper etc - LOL!!!!

She rang me all confused and I patiently explained to her that I am not on face book - god it be funny if people did a search on me to find I am a stripper - you kinda start thinking of centitout feeding her dogs in a g-string - imagine a stripper!

Sorry but :thumbsup: Never even thought of something like that. Seriously not good though.

Trust me i didn't laugh!! the story was horrific, and the girl who committed the crime actually did look a little like me!! I probably would have laughed if the story wasn't so awful and sad.

I also google earth there house to see what fences they have,

I google the address to see the size of the yard etc, but I also ask the buyer to supply photos of their yard as well. Some times it isn't always possible to do a site visit.