Dear Old Rachel

KKDD

My dear old weimeraner girl Rachel went to sleep for the last time yesterday. Her cancer was making life difficult for her and just being 16 years old held its own challenges for her poor old body.

Rachel we will miss your gentle presence in the house, the way you always had your head on the table when we were trying to have dinner, your huge booming bark when I was trying to get the baby to sleep, your big velvet ears and your beautiful green eyes. The shredded screen doors will remind me of you, and the couch looks and empty without you stretched across it, snoring and farting. You were my shadow round the house, too proud to be an overtly affectionate dog, but wanting to be by my side always. My big dopey baby, who wanted to follow me everywhere even when your old legs kept letting you down.

Your head was in my lap and I whispered to you how much I love you, as you closed your eyes and slipped away.

We will scatter your ashes in the bushland behind the house where you used to outrun Andrew on his mountain bike. And some of your ashes will go into the chook yard - since it was always your ambition to get in there....

We will always love you big silver girl. You have been a magnificent presence in our home and out lives and there will never be another one like you.

KKDD i am so sorry for your loss... Your post for her was beautiful. You have just described every weimaraner I have ever owned and those words bring back both fond and sad memories for me.

My beloved Sparky and Tansy will meet Rachel at the bridge and show her the best screen doors to shred until you meet her again one day.

*gentle hugs* to you. I feel your pain.

That was beautiful and really moving. A real life account of your girl in her later years. Made me shed a few tears for you both again.......

Hopefully despite the pain and feelings of loss you are feeling some relief now in your decision.......

She went in peace and dignity with you loving by her side (as you know something I wish I could have done for mine), the best gift you could have given her.......and you will always remember her and how she touched your lives.

It will probably hurt for a while, but it does get better with time.........

We are thinking of you. A shame Boo and her didn't get to meet - that would have been very sweet. Two old buggers - lazying and farting together...........hope they find each other whereever they are...........

Edited by Just Andrea