Breed Identification Test

ness

I just had an email/newsleter come through from a vet clinic which I have taken my youngster to once. Any way I had a quick skim over its contents and noticed they are offering a breed identification service for $145 a shot. My two are both purebreds with no doubt as to what breed they are but I wonder how accurate these tests really are. What are people's views on them - are they really that accurate or are they just a money making exercise.

http://www.adelaidevet.com.au/breed-identification

:thumbsup: if I had a spare $145 I'd play with one of mine just to see what they came up with. Too funny if they came up with anything other than a Border Collie. Interesting though they require the dog to attend the clinic for an appointment and I wonder what information they might also include when they take the swab such as appearance of dog. Would seriously spoil the fun if it wasn't a "blind" test. Edited by ness

I had to have this done with my pit.

Actually you would be amazed with how many people with "supposed" purebred/registered/papered dogs actually find a smidgen of something else floating around in their far background.

"and I wonder what information they might also include when they take the swab such as appearance of dog"

Nothing. They just swab..no guessing is done,,,unless you bring it up and ask about what they think.

I am in two minds of whether I would fork out to have it done on any other dogs.

One,, if it does pull up "restricted breed" lines (which were unnoticeable to the eye) then the owners could find themselves facing BSL.

What if they add extra breeds to BSL later on?? You would be right in the middle with no way to back out.

I would want a "legal" guarantee that all results would be "forever" confidential and that by no way/means could any Government Authority/ Court or anyone ever get hold of them.

It is good for people with dogs commonly misidentified as "restricted". Could save an dogs life!!

It is good for people wanting to breed. Knowing for sure if there are any little slip ups from 100years ago. Knowing any genetic problems etc.

It is just like DNA testing for people. They can match dogs to parents, grandparents etc

ALSO to poop and bites which is another reason it was brought in.

IF there is an attack DNA from the bite can pinpoint the dog who done it (even if the victims cannot identify the dog)

LOL VIC was the first to get a DNA kit in for those reasons,,,and to identify dog poop to fine the owners..(No idea why they never seemed to use it) Probably because it is too expensive...BUT if everyone paid to have their own dog done????

Sorry I wasn't arguing about the positive uses for such a test (I have a science and law background so understand why it might be useful) but more a case of the marketing talk that was attached to it :banghead: . I can understand why breeders would find it useful to DNA test and profile their breeding stock for example but this wasn't marketed as being that - it was marketed as being a find out what breed your dog might have in it and how that might relate to his behavior. It was clearly aimed at a "pet" market. Particularly if you look at the information provided on the website under benefits or what will the results include. There was no suggestion it was anything other than a gimic.

I can imagine some backlash on breeders HYPOTHETICALLY lets say my pure breed dog got swabbed and came back as a cross, now I complain to the breeder and have my DNA RESULTS as proof, as I have paid $x for a purebred dog with papers. Under Consumer law would I be entitled to a refund as it is not the "item" I paid for? Would the DNA results be considered as evidence? Would the breeder have to DNA test their dogs to challenge it? What are their accuracy percentages? I think a lot of people could get very disappointed in these "results".

I have no inclination to get these tests done at all, but to me I think advertising it as a common service will open up a can of worms.

I think that is what a lot of people in the US were finding - pure bred dogs were being tested and coming back as various mixes and with options and none of which were the breed (in this case it was border collies). To me it was just a marketing scam and I don't think would provide any credit to a vet practice offering the service (well in the context they were offering and advertising it in).

ETA. Pete if I had a mixed breed/rescue dog that had no real definite breed look to it and I had a spare $145 I would probably do it but take the results with a grain of salt and would certainly be more than likely to have a bit of fun then I would with a dog who I know to be pedigree and who's breed is not in question.

Edited by ness

I had my dog done, everyone thinks he is a stafford x probably kelpie.

He came back as about 11% stafford and about 18% border collie, rest unknown (well possibly a bit of weimeraner but probably only about 7% so not statistically significant).

I do find myself struggling to find the border collie in his expressions at times!

So I kinda got the results I expected except I was thinking kelpie and much more stafford influence. But I guess people can take after their grandparents so maybe that holds true in the dog world too and a grandparent was a stafford with strong genes!! :)

Ruthless had here stafford x done and it came back as stafford x unknown! ;)

Edited by Quickasyoucan

Ruthless had here stafford x done and it came back as stafford x unknown! ;)

It was actually more conclusive than that! Chopper is exactly 50% SBT, but the other 50% is an unknown cross breed :)

If you search for Chopper+Bitsa it'll bring up the thread. The photo's missing, but he's in my sig.

I really want to get Pete done, cause he's an unusual looking pound rescue and I'm a curious person. But from what I've read I'll probably just end up with a $140 peice of paper saying "true mutt" :)

Me too, if they gave a refund for "no results" I think I'd do it, because that is what I expect! ;)

i am not surprised that 'pure bred'dogs can come up as having something else in them as initially they are made breeds....

it is only relatively recently genetically speaking that pure breeds have become so popular and regulated.

H

ed you'd think i would be able to spell "dog" by now sigh

Edited by dogbesotted

• 4 weeks later...

I had my dog Charlie done last year. I didn't send a photo and the results came back as Shih tzu / Maltese - but distant (in the second level I think, don't have the results in front of me). Which from the look of Charlie seems pretty accurate - he looks like an oversized Maltese x.

I think I paid $125 for it at the time and I note on the BITSA site they donate 20% of all BITSA tests purchased to Lort Smith. I suspect your vet is just a distributor for BITSA so if you want to get it done maybe call BITSA direct and check their current price.

Honestly, if you have a cross breed and a spare $140 it is kinda fun to see what might be in him. And who knows, maybe that Dane does have a mini poodle great grandpa!!!