Two Mothers

sandgrubber

That is just gorgeous! It sure makes things easier doesn't it? Does the other one toilet the pups as well?

With a litter I had a while ago, the mum didn't take to mothering all that well to begin with, so the pups grandmother jumped in the box and let them suckle and began to make milk immediately. She toileted them and gave the affection the mum wasn't doing for the first few days. On about the 5th day though, the mum 'came good', and decided she liked her babies after all, so Grandma was relieved of her motherly duties and went back to being a grandmother again.

The photo is amazing!

My Tibetan Terrier has helped raise the last 3 litters whelped here - first litter, she had never had her own pups and she cleaned and protected and came into full milk! :rofl:

Now she just has to look at a baby puppy and starts milking up :hug:

Very handy except she is still cleaning the 12 week old pups now whereas the Mother told them to bugger off weeks ago! :rofl:

It's GREAT to have a helper! :rofl:

I had the care of my sister's goldie litter a few years ago. My pointer girl decided the GR mum wasn't doing a good job and she took over the litter... she was right. The GR was a horrible mother. :rofl:

I also had a litter that was cleaned and toileted by a six month old male puppy who would jump in the box with the mum of the pups there and just start cleaning them. When he was finished he'd jump out again. That was about 5 years ago. The photos are somewhere in DOL archives by now.

Great photo :hug:

How gorgeous!!

One of my girls was always helping the whelping box and would even give the real mum the evil eye if she wanted to come in with her babies while she was in there cleaning. Photo of her attached with Lara's litter & giving Lara the evil eye for coming back.

The other photo is of my male Kuga with his mum & her litter. :hug:

post-21722-1263601644_thumb.jpg

post-21722-1263601804_thumb.jpg

post-21722-1263601817_thumb.jpg