Amazing Vet

MooBoo

People always complain how expensive vets are, my OH is a big one for this and hates it when I run to the vet whenever something doesn't seem right. We have always had a running joke at our vets that our 3 babies have kept them in business.

We have just left the vets, after picking up Bella who had to have her second knee operation in 3months. Our amazing vet, knowing that we don't have much money but will always find it from somewhere, gave us the run down on her medication and when she had to go back then went off to his next consult, I went to pay, dreading the bill, knowing how much was available on the credit card and hoping it wasn't going to be more than that.

$341.15! :hug:

I just looked at the recieptionst gobsmacked. I asked for an invoice and discovered that he had given us a discount of $1405.50! :rofl:

I walked out to OH who had taken Bell to the car shaking my head. He started carrying on about how much was it this time blah, blah, blah. I gave him the invoice. He didn't understand until I explained it to him and we both just sat there and had a cry.

I just cannot believe it. Our vet is on holidays for the next week but we want to get him something to say the biggest thankyou we can, we were thinking wine or something like that, any other ideas? I have to repay him in some way.

People always complain how expensive vets are, my OH is a big one for this and hates it when I run to the vet whenever something doesn't seem right. We have always had a running joke at our vets that our 3 babies have kept them in business.

We have just left the vets, after picking up Bella who had to have her second knee operation in 3months. Our amazing vet, knowing that we don't have much money but will always find it from somewhere, gave us the run down on her medication and when she had to go back then went off to his next consult, I went to pay, dreading the bill, knowing how much was available on the credit card and hoping it wasn't going to be more than that.

$341.15! :rofl:

I just looked at the recieptionst gobsmacked. I asked for an invoice and discovered that he had given us a discount of $1405.50! :rofl:

I walked out to OH who had taken Bell to the car shaking my head. He started carrying on about how much was it this time blah, blah, blah. I gave him the invoice. He didn't understand until I explained it to him and we both just sat there and had a cry.

I just cannot believe it. Our vet is on holidays for the next week but we want to get him something to say the biggest thankyou we can, we were thinking wine or something like that, any other ideas? I have to repay him in some way.

I just hope that who ever wrote in that other topic that Vets are just in it for money reads your post!!!!!!!!! :hug::rofl::rofl:

A gift is a lovely idea, but i reckon the biggest gift you could give him is your continued business, and telling everyone you meet to use him & how awesome he is (maybe don't tell them how much discount he gave you, in case everyone expects it though!!!)

What a lovely thing to do!

Wonderful!!

My vet is the same. I swear I don't know how he makes money!!

eg. My spin had ear issues, her canals are huge! so drops were costing about $45 every 2 days. We ended up on special mixed frozen stuff, anyway, they stopped charging me in the second week and this went on for 6 weeks, pathology went to the states, not charged. Any PTS, they come to the house, and don't charge even for the PTS!! There are many other instances. They sent all our meds to Darwin for us all last year, wholesale price and no postage!

I can ring any time day or night, and they come. Must say, my own doc is the same :thumbsup::laugh: I am very very lucky!!

There is a huge range in the caring vs money thing. I found it particularly clear when I called my old vet (who I had long suspected was overcharging me) in tears enquiring about euthanasia and costs. They quoted me $350 for the basic service- I was shocked. :thumbsup:

It wasnt just the money that I had a problem with, I was prepared to pay whatever it cost in order to be there, but the taking advantage of people in their time of grief. I thought that was truly appalling. :laugh:

To confirm my suspicions, I called up a new local vet who only charged me the cost of the injection ($75), held my hand (I bawled from the moment I walked in) and was so kind throughout. I felt here was someone who really cared about the service he provided.

I have since heard other wonderful stories and would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

I love my vet, I ended up in Sydney when I burnt my arm, couldn't pay bills as I didn't have my cheque book as was only going to be in Sydney for a week to10 days,ended up being there for 2 months. Ring my vet to tell him what is going on and he said don't worry about the bill it will be fine pay it when you come back.

Than on another occasion Smooch suffered a spinal stroke, rushed him to the vet in tears, he saw me come in and left the customer he was with to attend to Smooch, (Customer was a vaccination), than organized for Smooch to go to Sydney etc. I was in no state to do anything. My vet has just been fantastic and I would highly recommended him to anyone.

Thats wonderful to hear and does deserve some visible thanks!

How about a BIG bunch of flowers for the reception (can be from a garden,just so long as they are lovely and showy) with a BIG visible card saying some thing like:

"THANKYOU! To the worlds greatest vet,(or his name)in appreciation from..."

We also have a couple of terrific vets,it great that there are such caring people still.

A gift is a lovely idea, but i reckon the biggest gift you could give him is your continued business, and telling everyone you meet to use him & how awesome he is (maybe don't tell them how much discount he gave you, in case everyone expects it though!!!)

What a lovely idea (including the bit about leaving out the discount part!). I'd write all that down....& sign it with your name and paw print of your dog. Then pop it into a gift box, tied with yellow ribbon to show you'll never forget that kindness.

I agree your story is a great reminder that any generalisation about vets just being in it for the money....is not true.

We used to take our pets to our present vet.....way back, over 12 years ago. And because, she moved to another suburb, in the interim we went to other other local vets. With some very unacceptable results, including the death of one of our dogs from a medication stuff-up thro' ignoring my feedback about side-effects.

Now we travel to our original vet....who, god help me, could remember our pets from 12 years back. She's proven again to be brilliant. Excellent care & she impresses me how she's like a good physician for humans (great surgical skills, too). I, too, continue to be gob-smacked at how reasonable the bills are. I keep thinking she must have made a mistake.

My way of thanking her.....is that both our pet-loving neighbours have switched to her. And found her a breath of fresh air....& skill.

She's right on the north-western suburb border in Brisbane.

Edited by mita

Vet clinics are often busy places where the staff quite often don't get to stop for lunch but usually manage to grab something (often unhealthy) to eat on the run.

Why not make a fruit platter for them and attach a card so all the staff can enjoy, remember it took more than just the vet to operate on your pet.

As you said money is tight and this can be an inexpensive way of saying thankyou and I'm sure they will all appreciate your generosity.

I often do this at our clinic and I just cut lots of different types of fruit into small pieces and leave it on our back bench near the door. Everyone that walks past will take a piece.

SOunds like a very compassionate vet and hospital

We had a couple of lovely people who did things like that. Homemade scones Jam and cream - Yum. A yummy chocolate cake, but some of the best were bags of fresh apricots, plums and otehr fruits. I agree with a fruit, cheese and kabana type platter. Something for everyone.

A very lovely memory for me was being presented with two beautiful handmade Matinee jackets for my baby as I was pregnant and leaving a few weeks later. I still have them and both my kids wore them.

I have just moved into the Quakers Hill area of NSW so if anyone knows of an awesome vet in this area it would be a great help so that I know where to take our Rotti if she ever needs a vet. Thank you in advance! :thumbsup:

Vet clinics are often busy places where the staff quite often don't get to stop for lunch but usually manage to grab something (often unhealthy) to eat on the run.

Why not make a fruit platter for them and attach a card so all the staff can enjoy, remember it took more than just the vet to operate on your pet.

As you said money is tight and this can be an inexpensive way of saying thankyou and I'm sure they will all appreciate your generosity.

I often do this at our clinic and I just cut lots of different types of fruit into small pieces and leave it on our back bench near the door. Everyone that walks past will take a piece.

This is a great idea :thumbsup: And oh so true - we've been so busy lately, I have only had a proper lunch about 3 or 4 times since before Christmas - the rest of the time I've just been eating the Wholesaler lollies and chocolates to keep me going.

I think a simple card thanking them, to acknowledge what they have done for you, would be really appreciated. We love getting thank you cards from clients, even if its just for something really small - to have what you have done recognised makes you feel great about what you do and makes you want to keep doing it where you can.

This is a great idea, thanks!

I absolutely love everyone at the clinic and want to thank them all.

I was also thinking of making a card or photobook of our babies to give as well.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

After the fires, someone posted a list of vet supplies that was needed. I approached my vet to see if I could get things through him at wholesale prices. Not only did he get things he matched what I purchased. They also gave me heaps of collars, leads and things that reps had dropped off. :thumbsup: