Advert In Supermarket For Registered Pups

Sagittarian

One of the kids wanted to look at an advert for an x box or similar on the community board in our local Coles. Noticed one posted there with a pic of some really cute pups. They are for sale, are VCA reg with all vet checks etc.

I guess it is no different from advertising in the paper - but am interested in other people's points of view on this. Normally the pups for sale on these kinds of boards are mixes or BYB.

Sags

Edited by Sagittarian

Couldn't agree more with everyone so far.

I saw a similar one in a local non-puppy/kitten sale petshop. And was very pleased this ad, mentioned sales would be to approved homes. Thus indicating it was not just a case of passing money over.

Also saw another info ad from a registered breeder, where she also spelled out....in plain English....what being a registered breeder meant. And how a code of ethics was involved. And how matching with good homes was her major aim. I actually contacted this breeder to congratulate her because her info ad was actually educational, in the nicest way, for the average pet owner.

Edited by mita

This is great. See it quite a bit around the semi rural areas I sometimes shop in.

Homes are more likely to be found locally & can be checked easier.

People know they are there & may be pleasantly suprised to see they are available.

Not everyone knows where to find a registered breeder, buys dog mags & knows where to look on the net. Some don't even know there are kennel clubs in every state.

Couldn't agree more with everyone so far.

I saw a similar one in a local non-puppy/kitten sale petshop. And was very pleased this ad, mentioned sales would be to approved homes. Thus indicating it was not just a case of passing money over.

Also saw another info ad from a registered breeder, where she also spelled out....in plain English....what being a registered breeder meant. And how a code of ethics was involved. And how matching with good homes was her major aim. I actually contacted this breeder to congratulate her because her info ad was actually educational, in the nicest way, for the average pet owner.

Yes, I like this too. :thumbsup::(

Interesting - in the past a lot of people have been very anti the idea of breeders using papers or various online resources.

It certainly is one thing to provide a lot of great info, a well written advert that clearly outlines the breeder's thinking. What though about the breeder who can't sell their litter, perhaps has bred without having any waiting homes, and then find they have no outlet other than the local supermarket? I think what surprised me was that the adverts I see for "blue" staffies (rare of course), mixes, oodles etc are generally handwritten, ready-to-go-for-cash and this particular advert was the same.

There was no name attached, no prefix, guarantee, information about parentage or back up service. Just a pic and handwritten info about the basics. Yes, it is nice they are VCA registered. But is a supermarket the best place to promote a litter from anyone, let alone a VCA registered breeder, unless there is a whole lot more information available?

Sags

We are assuming that the breeder is ethical and the general consensus is more ethical breeders should be advertising in direct competition with the shoddier ones.

Could have been a spur of the moment thing, I suppose, and sounds like the advert doesn't really differentiate (sp?) from the "rare" blue staffy breeders etc. which is a shame.

OT but out of curiosity, what area are you in?? (Picking my brains for breeder :thumbsup::(:rofl: )

I spotted a poster from a registered breeder in our local vet clinic. It had various pics of the puppies doing puppy stuff, and both the parents. Said they would go to approved homes only etc.

I thought it was nice......made a nice change to see that there instead of the BYB stuff.

I think if registered breeders get their info "out there" it de-mystifies it a lot, and the more the general public get used to seeing the info, the more normal it will become, instead of being seen as somehting "elitist" getting a pup from a registered breeder will seem attainable to Joe Public.

Interesting - in the past a lot of people have been very anti the idea of breeders using papers or various online resources.

It certainly is one thing to provide a lot of great info, a well written advert that clearly outlines the breeder's thinking. What though about the breeder who can't sell their litter, perhaps has bred without having any waiting homes, and then find they have no outlet other than the local supermarket? I think what surprised me was that the adverts I see for "blue" staffies (rare of course), mixes, oodles etc are generally handwritten, ready-to-go-for-cash and this particular advert was the same.

There was no name attached, no prefix, guarantee, information about parentage or back up service. Just a pic and handwritten info about the basics. Yes, it is nice they are VCA registered. But is a supermarket the best place to promote a litter from anyone, let alone a VCA registered breeder, unless there is a whole lot more information available?

Sags

Who is going to stop at the supermarket and read an a4 page of what is largely (to many memebers of the public) gobbledegook?? Not knowing who this breeder is, whether they are ethical or not, it is entirely possible that when someone contacts them for more details, the breeder will go through the usual screening process.

Also, the litter may have been larger than expected or not enough of a particular gender or color to satisfy their puppy list. Many variables (or they could of course just be a registered BYBer *shrug* )

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. Even though it only gave the basic information who is to know (unless you rung) whether or not this person was going to be thorough in chosing a good home for their pups?

Also as far as waiting until you have a waiting list for a litter.. I would have never bred a litter and having a waiting list means little as I've found that sometimes people pull out once you notify them of the litter birth anyway.

Edited by ~Midniara~

I spotted a poster from a registered breeder in our local vet clinic. It had various pics of the puppies doing puppy stuff, and both the parents. Said they would go to approved homes only etc.

I thought it was nice......made a nice change to see that there instead of the BYB stuff.

Agree - this sounds really good and a vet clinic would be a good place to promote a litter.

We get asked constantly for referrals for litters of all breeds, so it is really clear to us that the average buyer still can't easily find a reputable breeder.

Good to see such positive responses. :-)

Sags

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. Even though it only gave the basic information who is to know (unless you rung) whether or not this person was going to be thorough in chosing a good home for their pups?

That's true. The breeder more than likely vet enquiries the same way regardless of the source. I don't know any breeders of that breed in the area (not that I know everyone lol) and it was only a mobile number and no name.

And I'm wondering if this is normal for where we live, as I just saw a similar advert for Labs! That had a bit about the hips and elbows of the parents.

Maybe I've just never read community notice boards closely enough?? :eek:

Sags