Breeders, How Would You Respond To An Email Like This?

rastus_froggy

Do you realise though that many rescues can recieve in excess of 50 emails a day. Sorry, but there is no way I would spend time and energy on each email enquiry in order to do some 'serious grilling'. We are talking about the initial contact and the response. I always respond, I am always polite regardless of their writing skills, but I do not spend a great deal of time in the response unless I have loads of time ...which I normally don't.

Oh well Anne, I'd miss out on the dogs you have available for rehoming.

BTW I DO realise how difficult it is with the rescue stuff. Especially coordinating things - been there, done that, and miss it terribly these days.

You are obviously a much better person than I am - you are still involved in rescue :o

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think lots of people are being very judgemental of how and to whom breeders sell their pedigree puppies. Just look at the big picture.....very few purebred pedigree dogs end up in shelters, pounds and rescue so the vast majority of breeders must be selling their pups to quality homes.

Do you realise though that many rescues can recieve in excess of 50 emails a day. Sorry, but there is no way I would spend time and energy on each email enquiry in order to do some 'serious grilling'. We are talking about the initial contact and the response. I always respond, I am always polite regardless of their writing skills, but I do not spend a great deal of time in the response unless I have loads of time ...which I normally don't.

Oh well Anne, I'd miss out on the dogs you have available for rehoming.

BTW I DO realise how difficult it is with the rescue stuff. Especially coordinating things - been there, done that, and miss it terribly these days.

You are obviously a much better person than I am - you are still involved in rescue :rofl:

I am not rescuing anymore. :rofl:

I also took the line that if they were really interested, they would continue the discussion. I had more people wanting to adopt than Pugs available so I was easy either way. They were always advised to complete an application form or given an opening to continue dialogue. If they didn't choose to do either, it didn't matter and I hadn't wasted too much time on a potential 'query only' email.

The point i was making thugh was that you can not tell if someone is ethical or not simply by a reply email. Sometimes, there are circumstances that lead to an email that may not meet an individual's expectations.

Edited by ~Anne~

I remember once a upon a time we could sell pups on main registration and those who did not want to breed did the right thing and had their animals desexed. Unfortunately not any more.

Some breeders still sell on main register in my breed and advertise the fact. Some nice dogs here and their in their pedigrees and in many cases, pity the people selling are colour breeders.

Others I have known have changed their stance from all on limit to main when pups are not moving. Nice flashy website, comes on DOL all ethical like, claims to show and other sports, but doesn't but has ethics like a sieve.

Likewise, like puppy buyers, some have come across all proper, asked the questions, answered the questions and later you find out they are the worst scum and you would not even give them a pet rock.

But as far as the email goes.. IF someone asks me the basic questions: What's left, How much and when are they ready. The answer they get is pretty much answers to those questions. If they come back and ask more questions, then I will start the screening process. Why spend hours of time drafting an email screening them, if the person is not serious in the first place. I have better things to do with my time than waste it on window shoppers.

If someone sends me a bit of information about themselves and spends the time composing their email, then I will respond in kind.

I do not believe in jumping down potential buyers throats on their first email contact. To me that is one sure fire way to send them off to a BYB or pet store. Sometimes you have to remember that the email enquiry may be their first dog they are buying, and may not be aware of the protocols/screenings breeders go through. Sometimes you just have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It becomes fairly clear soon enough who are serious and who aren't.

But the bit about "Phone me ASAP as they are going quick" well, yeah I would run too. In saying this, I have had it where I have had a number of people interested in one puppy, all whom I would not have had an issue selling to (after a screening process). I am honest enough to say there are other interests in XYZ puppy. Generally though I offer it first in first served, to try and be fair to all concerned.

It works both ways, the breeder really should, and I feel is obligated to find out where his/her pups are going to. At the same time, I don't like to be pressured to come and have a look quickly because you might miss out. That puts me off completely. In the breed I have, miniature schnauzers, there are rarely any to be rehomed because most breeders check out the prospective buyers and that can't be a bad thing.

I remember once a upon a time we could sell pups on main registration and those who did not want to breed did the right thing and had their animals desexed. Unfortunately not any more.

Some breeders still sell on main register in my breed and advertise the fact. Some nice dogs here and their in their pedigrees and in many cases, pity the people selling are colour breeders.

Others I have known have changed their stance from all on limit to main when pups are not moving. Nice flashy website, comes on DOL all ethical like, claims to show and other sports, but doesn't but has ethics like a sieve.

Likewise, like puppy buyers, some have come across all proper, asked the questions, answered the questions and later you find out they are the worst scum and you would not even give them a pet rock.

But as far as the email goes.. IF someone asks me the basic questions: What's left, How much and when are they ready. The answer they get is pretty much answers to those questions. If they come back and ask more questions, then I will start the screening process. Why spend hours of time drafting an email screening them, if the person is not serious in the first place. I have better things to do with my time than waste it on window shoppers.

If someone sends me a bit of information about themselves and spends the time composing their email, then I will respond in kind.

I do not believe in jumping down potential buyers throats on their first email contact. To me that is one sure fire way to send them off to a BYB or pet store. Sometimes you have to remember that the email enquiry may be their first dog they are buying, and may not be aware of the protocols/screenings breeders go through. Sometimes you just have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But the bit about "Phone me ASAP as they are going quick" well, yeah I would run too. In saying this, I have had it where I have had a number of people interested in one puppy, all whom I would not have had an issue selling to (after a screening process). I am honest enough to say there are other interests in XYZ puppy. Generally though I offer it first in first served, to try and be fair to all concerned.

It works both ways, the breeder really should, and I feel is obligated to find out where his/her pups are going to. At the same time, I don't like to be pressured to come and have a look quickly because you might miss out. That puts me off completely. In the breed I have, miniature schnauzers, there are rarely any to be rehomed because most breeders check out the prospective buyers and that can't be a bad thing.

there are not an endless supply of pedigree pups, many may have to wait 1-2 years. I would advise people to come and take a look asap also, rathere that than tell them it will be another year or 2, so the buyer goes to PP and gets one from there.

"How much are your pups? Do you have any left out of the litter shown on here? And if you do how soon could I pick one up?"

I'm afraid emails of this nature are usually deleted by me.

I used to take lots of time to send positive, educational emails with breed club contacts, polite requests for further info to help them in their puppy quest, ect. or at the very least a copy/paste response with similar information.

And NOT one of those types of email folk ever replied, not even to thank me for my reply.

So unless they show some kind of basic manners / introduction ect. I just don't have the enthusiasm to reply.

fifi

I figure most emails which read like that are from wheel spinners (or nosy people, like Rastus Froggy :rofl: ) but I do answer them, but not at any length. Like you, I used to, and then it became obvious that few of them were serious. To that email, I would respond with the truth - ie, price, yes, I do have some left. Are you seeking male or female pup? Do you want a pet, or a show puppy?

And leave it there. If they get back to me, I am happy to continue the dicussion. If not, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life.

However, I am aware that both my breeds have far more buyers than pups, and for all I know the person who sent me the email might have made 49 unsuccessful enquiries prior to contacting me, so I don't want to dishearten them further if they are genuine.

And I don't bother with the bamboo skewers under the fingersnals or the 40,0000 w lights until I am reasonably sure that the enquirer is serious - which is NOT at the first response. I might turn over 6 peoiple to find the right home, and I don't want to give false hope to the unsuitable.

Sometimes, strange enquiries lead to excellent lifetime homes, so I always allow for that when I respond.

As far as main register is concerned - the puppy farmers don't care which register it is on, if any, as long as it has fur and genitals. Fur is usually optional with them too.

I ascertain, via secret breeders' means, whether they are genuine or not, and if they are genuine, the pup might as well be on main, because they wont do anything wrong with it. Although the pets do go on limited.

there are not an endless supply of pedigree pups, many may have to wait 1-2 years. I would advise people to come and take a look asap also, rathere that than tell them it will be another year or 2, so the buyer goes to PP and gets one from there.

Well, somehow, I got the feeling that I was being pressured, and I wasn't asked if I knew anything about the breed as most of the other breeders I spoke to did. I waited almost 2 years for my first miniature schnauzer, and all I wanted was a companion. This breeder that suggested I come asap is known for this pressuring, and I am grateful that I stuck to my gut instinct. She advertised 1 puppy that she wanted to but decided not to keep because of space restrictions, and when I 'phoned to find out the sex of the puppy, I was told I could have my pick of either and there were several to choose from. The alarm bells went off then!!!! No doubt she has no trouble shifting her puppies and good luck to her, but when I buy a puppy I want to know that I will get support in the years to come, and I didn't have that feeling with this one.

The other day there was a thread about someone after a staffy pup and they were originally deciding between 2 registered breeders, one seemed quite dodgy after looking at their website so I shot them off an email just to see what sort of response I would get, this is my email to them in it's entirity:

"How much are your pups? Do you have any left out of the litter shown on here? And if you do how soon could I pick one up?"

and unfortunately I got a very positive response, they were more than willing to sell me a pup.

Ethical breeders look far more into who they sell pups to aren't they? Please tell me they are.

I find it very sad that people like this can become registered breeders but I do understand it must be very hard for the canine council to monitor these sorts of things.

Depending on what mood I am in :rofl:

if a puppy enquiry sends me a one liner email (like yours above)

I'm likely to send a one liner back.

Mostly because I figure either a)

they're not really serious; or

b) if they are genuine, then they have a bit more information to share with me before I'll consider them seriously for a puppy;

c) if neither of the above, then they are probably not a puppy home but someone fishing for information.

:rofl:

Edited by lilli

Id rather one liners so I can answer back quickly the same way.

either with "sorry none available at this time - next litter due in 6 months"

or " some pups still not spoken for and the price and they are welcome to phone me."

I get hundreds of puppy enquiries a week - there's no way I can write an essay to each one and it wouldnt make any difference anyway because I dont sell puppies via email and I dont remember what is said after I repsond and delete them.

Its good for first contact but if you want to get serious you do it in person or over the phone.

Twodoggies:

Do not get me wrong, I do screen my potential puppy buyers. At the moment on DOL there are 38 border collie litters advertised. So there is no shortage of BC pups going. (Not that I have a litter now.) Earlier this year when I did have a litter to sell there were about 32 BC litters advertised on DOL.

Those one liner emails: I reply in kind. I am not going to spend an hour composing an email back to them scruitinizing their knowledge, and conditions etc. If a person is interested in what you have, they will get back to you. If they don't there is another enquiry following it. So far, I never had any problems moving my pups on. All mine have always been sold by 8 weeks. I DO CARE where they go and the scruitinizing comes later, not on that first email contact.

I may include in my first reply, that all pups are sold on Limit Registration (and its definition) as many new pet buyers do not know what it is. The parents are all health tested etc. If there is someone else looking at a pup they are interested in, I will do them the courtesy of telling them there is someone ahead of them interested in that particular puppy.

The puppy buyer may only want a female and I may only have males left or vice versa. So why bother going into a lengthy email if you do not have what they want? They may not be able to afford to buy your puppy. Some phone calls I get, they say, "Oh that much", not realising how much pedigree puppies from health tested parents cost.

You see on DOL people posting how hard they are on some new puppy buyers. Sometimes I think they are over the top. Some of these puppy buyers do not know our ways and you may be their first contact with a pedigree breeder. They may not know about DOL and never had a pedigree dog before. This may be their first pet and they made the right choice to approach a pedigree breeder in the first instance. So many variables. How would you feel if a breeder jumped down your throat when you first made contact??? You would go WTF????

As I said, I like to do my scruitinizing after that first email enquiry. I encourage them to ask questions and I ask them questions about where the pup is going to live and their situation. If they prove to be a dick, then I just say, I have nothing suitable for them. Ultimately I have the right of refusal, same as the puppy buyer.

Twodoggies:

Do not get me wrong, I do screen my potential puppy buyers. At the moment on DOL there are 38 border collie litters advertised. So there is no shortage of BC pups going. (Not that I have a litter now.) Earlier this year when I did have a litter to sell there were about 32 BC litters advertised on DOL.

Those one liner emails: I reply in kind. I am not going to spend an hour composing an email back to them scruitinizing their knowledge, and conditions etc. If a person is interested in what you have, they will get back to you. If they don't there is another enquiry following it. So far, I never had any problems moving my pups on. All mine have always been sold by 8 weeks. I DO CARE where they go and the scruitinizing comes later, not on that first email contact.

I may include in my first reply, that all pups are sold on Limit Registration (and its definition) as many new pet buyers do not know what it is. The parents are all health tested etc. If there is someone else looking at a pup they are interested in, I will do them the courtesy of telling them there is someone ahead of them interested in that particular puppy.

The puppy buyer may only want a female and I may only have males left or vice versa. So why bother going into a lengthy email if you do not have what they want? They may not be able to afford to buy your puppy. Some phone calls I get, they say, "Oh that much", not realising how much pedigree puppies from health tested parents cost.

You see on DOL people posting how hard they are on some new puppy buyers. Sometimes I think they are over the top. Some of these puppy buyers do not know our ways and you may be their first contact with a pedigree breeder. They may not know about DOL and never had a pedigree dog before. This may be their first pet and they made the right choice to approach a pedigree breeder in the first instance. So many variables. How would you feel if a breeder jumped down your throat when you first made contact??? You would go WTF????

As I said, I like to do my scruitinizing after that first email enquiry. I encourage them to ask questions and I ask them questions about where the pup is going to live and their situation. If they prove to be a dick, then I just say, I have nothing suitable for them. Ultimately I have the right of refusal, same as the puppy buyer.

I'm so happy that you do eventually scrutinize the potential buyers, and that's the way it should be. In the long run, if more 'breeders' did this there would be less unwanted dogs around for re homing. It would seem that there are some out there looking only for the dollar, and I am dead against that. As I said in my previous post about 1 puppy advertised and then there were more. This pup was advertised on DOL. Obviously they just wanted to move the pups asap, and on 'phone contact I wasn't even asked if I knew how to care for a miniature schnauzer. I have met a couple of people who have bought a puppy from this breeder and the after sales service, so to speak has been lacking. I would expect a breeder to at least have an ongoing interest in the puppy sold if the buyer so wishes. If I were interested in having a BC pup, you would be one of the first breeders I would contact.

Twodoggies:

Go back to my first post in this thread on page one and you will see I have written:

If they get back to me then I will start to add in the screening questions. If that makes sense.

I just don't believe in jumping down their throats on their first email contact. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for ignorance on their first and maybe second email contact. After that, well, it depends on what they come back at me with. Judge each buyer on the merit at the time.

In my breed, as I said, there is no shortage of pups. If I think they are a dick, let them go to someone else and waste their time.