Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

I hope your girl arrives well today Poppy.

I had a question about nail clippers. What sort have you all bought? I searched on here and found these, which sound interesting. http://www.mytoolstore.com.au/products/Dre...ooming-kit.html

I cut the cats nails regularly, but am just using human clippers. They won't work on a puppy. I've asked the breeder for recommendations too.

Poppyx ~ ARGH!!! isn't it maddening when they do this, surely they would have left an inanimate object behind and took a live animal instead....its not like they can just stack it away for later.....I hope they are taking her out the crate for toilet breaks and feeding her? Hopefully she is now on her way.

Mich & Jake ~ I used to trim the nails of my dogs, until I cut too close to the quick....I have never heard a dog cry to loudly and for so long. I thought I had killed her, I rang the vet and they told me to put vaseline in the nail and it will stop bleeding soon....it did but its been 15 years and I have never touched a nail clipper again. I just take the dogs to the vets, and get it done, free, when they have their boosters or when they need to go in for something else. Even they have cut too close.....I cringe when I think of it, its a horrible experience.....

Fiona ~ Sorry I can't help, as I have never brought from them. I got my crate from Ebay for $36 for the crate and $20 registered post Australia wide. Its an excellent crate and came with a divider, very good quality. The ebay seller is ozdirectsell, I bid on it in an auction, not a Buy It Now one. Great value for money.

Ok back to the books.....I keep saying that don't I.....oooops after I vote I mean :o

BF

Fiona ~ Sorry I can't help, as I have never brought from them. I got my crate from Ebay for $36 for the crate and $20 registered post Australia wide. Its an excellent crate and came with a divider, very good quality. The ebay seller is ozdirectsell, I bid on it in an auction, not a Buy It Now one. Great value for money.

:confused: thats ok Bluefairy, I don't need help finding a crate, I was answering a question from someone else .... :o

OK, so more questions on the crate. I'm just wondering for those who have crate trained... did you just use it through the puppy phase? Because I'm thinking once Maggie is house trained, I'll probably get her to sleep on a dog bed rather than the crate? Or once you start up the crate, do you keep it up forever?!

I'm only wondering because, if I just use the crate to toilet train Maggie, hopefully that won't take too long - and in saying that I wont need the XL crate (which is for a fully grown GR). So I'm wondering if I should buy a smaller crate, so that I don't have to buy the XL crate and section it off for her puppy sized body!?

Does this make any sense?!! haha It's hard to explain, but I hope you know what I'm getting at!

Edited by Lauren Golden

OK, so more questions on the crate. I'm just wondering for those who have crate trained... did you just use it through the puppy phase? Because I'm thinking once Maggie is house trained, I'll probably get her to sleep on a dog bed rather than the crate? Or once you start up the crate, do you keep it up forever?!

I'm only wondering because, if I just use the crate to toilet train Maggie, hopefully that won't take too long - and in saying that I wont need the XL crate (which is for a fully grown GR). So I'm wondering if I should buy a smaller crate, so that I don't have to buy the XL crate and section it off for her puppy sized body!?

Does this make any sense?!! haha It's hard to explain, but I hope you know what I'm getting at!

are you planning on taking her away with you anywhere? competing in Obedience, Showinging, Agility, Tracking - going camping or having her stay with you in a pet friendly hotel or resort? if you are then you're best to use a crate to keep her safe and secure...

Many people don't use crates and use beds and thats fine - its whatever you want to do - we want to trial in Obedience and Agility and being able to keep our boys secure and safe in the gazebo is paramount ... they see their crates as their beds, their space and they love them .....

Lauren,

I know what your getting at :confused:

I'll say what I am using the crate for, but really its an individual thing for you and your dog. I need the crate, as I keep my cat in the laundry at night, I used to keep my last dog in there too, dog on the lower section, cat on the upper section (washing machine, table and freezer). But the cat would wake the pup up and she would cry until we got up....drove us mad. It wasn't just for wanting to go outside either.

So I am using the crate for the dog in the lounge to sleep in mainly (for when she is a pup and adult) she may sleep on the beds later, but I still haven't made up my mind yet. As I have 4 grandchildren, I want to be able to have the dog in the lounge, but not bothered by the kids poking, prodding or trying to pick up the dog, so its more of a safety zone for the dog. Also there have been times when we have had workers come and do work in the house (plumber, electrician) and it would be nice to have a place to put the dog while they are walking in and out the house, and she won't get tripped over or hurt. As being put outside isn't always a good option (too cold, too hot, raining etc).

I want the crate to be more a safe zone, quiet time kind of thing for the dog. I do have a larger than needed size crate, so it will do her nicely as an adult.

If you only think you will only ever use it for toilet training, and not use it as they get older, then just get the smaller puppy size. But if you think you might be able to use it later, for maybe some of the reasons I have suggested then get the larger adult size. I think a crate might always come in handy at sometime in the dogs life...I have know a dog that was injured and needed restricted movement, other than the odd time out, the dog was kept confined in the crate for 2 weeks until it was better. You can also use it if you have lots of kids over and you don't want your dog jumping up (this gets me when I go to peoples places) you can crate them until they have calmed down enough (with the crate where ever all the action is of course) so they can be let out.

But like I said it depends on what you want to use it for and if you can see a use for it later. As they fold down into a large briefcase size, they are easy to store away under a bed. But just knowing you have it is a blessing in itself sometimes.

BF

Thanks BF and Fiona,

You've made some good points! I think perhaps I might get the adult size crate, so that I can keep it for whatever reason might come up! I guess I'll have t get a wire crate then, and get a divider for the first part!

I was looking at the fabric crates on Vebo, at they looked much more homely, but I don't think you are able to section them off?

Me and my OH just need to get used to the idea that it is a safe/happy place, rather than a prison like it looks! - That's why we liked the fabric ones better. Maybe we'll just get one of the 'pretty' covers for the wire crate to make it look a little happier!

Also, do you guys have any idea what my pup might travel in on the plane? Because if that's a crate, does that mean you keep it, or does it stay with the airline? I have no idea as yet what airline/freight company she is coming on.