Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Lindainfa - what a beautiful little puppy!

I think I am more excited than the kids. I keep telling myself this is the kids dog, and I know they will love having a dog, but I'm the one who's all excited. I guess they are too young to stay excited about something for 6 months. Yes, Brittanies are beautiful dogs, and while temperament, size and coat type were the reasons I chose the Brittany breed, I could never have chosen a dog who I didn't love the look of. I just fell in love with them. The whippet was highly reccommended to me as being suitable for our family, and on paper, I'd say, yes, it would be an excellent choice, but I just didn't fall in love with them like I did the Brittany.

Yes, another countdown. This buying a pedigreed purebred puppy is a lesson in patience for me! I'm sure it is going to be very worth while.

S

Mumof3 - I agree about the lesson in patience and I've discovered I'm not good at it at all!!

Magstar - Our puppy is due around about that time - I don't have a date yet - the breeder said between 8 and 9 weeks.

Lindainfa ~ OMG your puppy is gorgeous ;)

Well poor Zoe was rushed to the vet yesterday, she had a bleed in her eye. The white part of her right eye, on the inside was brilliant red. All I could think about was she has damaged the eye and she might lose it.....I was so worried and so scared too. The vet checked her cornea, the back of the eye, and everywhere in between, but no damage. It seems likely she has banged her head (she does this a lot when she does the zoomies) and it burst the main blood vessel in the eye. The vet gave us some ointment AB's to apply twice a day just in case of infection, but she said it should start to get better in 2 days.....today is is pink, so the blood has started to disappear..... :eek:

It took me, a vet nurse and the vet to hold Zoe down while she examined the eye, and it takes me and my two girls to hold her down while we put the ointment on, though I can get this done in seconds now. Then silly Zoe spends the next 5-10 minutes trying to lick it off.....her tongue is not quite that long, but you can't tell her off for trying :angel:

If she does this again I will have to pad all the legs of the chairs and tables.....she just never concentrates when she runs, she will even run into us if we get up and get in her way. So now when she does the zoomies we stay perfectly still until it stops. She hasn't hit her head since.....I wonder if it knocked some sense into her :p probably not :cry:

BF

BF - The dog trainer in puppy school told us that pug has the worst eyesight of all dog breeds so that might explain why she always knock onto stuff. Oreo's eyes are always red and we asked the vet why and she said there is nothing wrong with his eyes. Its just that his eyeball is smaller so we could see the red on the white part of the eyes.

ETA: Photos! :thumbsup:

post-33443-1273244055_thumb.jpg

post-33443-1273244125_thumb.jpg

post-33443-1273244209_thumb.jpg

post-33443-1273244260_thumb.jpg

Edited by nicolatu

Wow look at Oreo, he's gorgeous. His feet look massive compared to Georgia's.

We're off to our second class of dog obedience today, it should be good as long as the rain stays away. The club has the motto, we train, rain, hail or shine. :thumbsup: Georgia and I could be very soggy before getting home.

This was taken yesterday, Georgia is 4 1/2 months old.

post-22362-1273267680_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michelleva

Nic ~ I can believe that about the eye sight thing, Zoe is always bumping into things. She ran into the foot of the recliner last night and made the light pink of her eye go bright red again. This morning you can see it is getting a little lighter, so its slowly healing.

She is getting so much better with 3 of us holding her down, she is so still now, I think it has more to do with the schmacko's she gets after than being good :thumbsup:

Love the pictures of Oreo and Georgia, so cute.

BF

Michelle - Well Oreo is 8kg at least so he is huge. The shop attendants in the pet shop say he is going to be a big Border Collie because he got a robust build. I went to a dog park and saw a tri-colour sheltie. It was small compared to Oreo. Haha You took that picture while Georgia is sleeping? She's got the "who is looking at me?" look. Haha she is lovely.

BF - Poor Zoe. Considering there is so many things that she could knock into, it would be hard to heal. Did you get any suggestions from the vet on how to prevent her from knocking into stuff?

Magstar - Thanks.

Oreo loves everyone and everyone loves him. My gf's aunties and one of my friends love him so much that they are thinking of buying dogs as well. Haha =P

I couldn't dissuade my friend from buying from an accidental pregnancy. I told her that she could get health guarantees and it comes with pedigree papers. I also told her that she will be able to know what her puppy is going to grow up into. But she is convinced that she likes the look of maltese x shih tsu and talking to breeders is so troublesome. Yesterday her boyfriend, her, my gf and I went to choose a puppy. My gf and I helped with choosing a puppy. We did not choose a dominant puppy and a shy puppy. They went for a male puppy and they were very happy. But what I think is that we are happy with the dog we buy and we love the dog. That is good enough.

Nic

Nic ~ No idea how to stop her, and no hints from the vet. I don't think they thought she would be doing it again. Other than crating her, which I don't want to do, I have been getting my girls and I to have her sit with them, so she rests and doesn't try and play.....there's not much else I can think of, besides padding the furniture :eek:

Its scary now that we know the bad side of buying an unregistered BYB pup....so many people have no idea what they are getting into.... :mad

My oldest daughter has 2 Australian Terrier pups, both sisters. One was rushed to the vet last night with problems breathing, Sasha was making weird noises and was so lethargic, and her sister Miley wouldn't have a bar of her huh? The vet had no idea what was wrong, but thinking she may have been bitten or stung by something gave her a Antihistamine injection. My daughter brought her home and she was again rushed to the vets and they ended up putting her to sleep. Her trachea was likely perforated and was so swollen she wouldn't have lasted much longer.....she was only 6mths old. I think maybe Miley knew she was going to die and ignored her....poor thing.

BF

Bluefairy - that must have frightened the daylights out of you! Poor Zoe. Hopefully it heals quickly. Hugs for Zoe :eek:

Nic - lovely photos of Oreo - he's growing so quickly.

Michelle - beautiful picture of Georgia - she certainly looks as if she has made herself at home.

Bluefairy - oh no - that is terrible. How very sad. Your poor daughter has had so much bad luck recently. My thoughts go out to your family. Poor little Sasha. As for Miley's reaction - it really makes you wonder whether she knew what was going to happen.

Nic - Georgia weighs 5kg now, and will only get to about 8kg when she's fully grown. At obedience today another puppy in our class wanted to play with her, but he was this huge thing, he put his paw playfully on Georgia's head and she looked at me as if to say "what was that?" She wasn't scared though, so thats good. I think Oreo is going to be a big boofa when he's grown up.

BF- That is terrible news about your daughters puppy, to have that at only 6 months old is heartbreaking. Was the pup bought from a registered breeder? Did the vets have any idea why it happened, is it hereditary or more like she got hurt somehow? Thats just a terrible thing to go through. Hugs to you all. RIP Sweet Sasha

Lily123 - Georgia made herself at home within the first hour. Its only been two weeks but it feels like forever, in a good way. :eek:

BF - condolences to your daughter. Hope that at least they know what had caused her death. Yeah nowadays Oreo sleeps outside his crate. But in the morning, he keeps licking my gf's face so he have to go into his crate. Haha

Lily123 - thanks.

Michelle - yeah he is going to be huge. He is weird though. He is afraid of small dogs. When the other small dogs was smelling his butt, he ran away. When he see a big dog, he will go for him. I still have to teach him manners when with other dogs.

Michelle - yeah he is going to be huge. He is weird though. He is afraid of small dogs. When the other small dogs was smelling his butt, he ran away. When he see a big dog, he will go for him. I still have to teach him manners when with other dogs.

Ava was 8kg when she came home at 12 weeks :thumbsup: She's now 5 months old and 15kg. The German Shepherd puppy at our puppy school was 25kg at just under 5 months old, and there are a lot of breeds who are bigger than that :love:

Awww, here's Zoe who only weighs 3.8kg :) she is 15 weeks. You all have big heifers :(

I think Sasha and Miley was from a BYB, the pups didn't come with papers, though they are definitely purebred, the breeder had both mother and father there. The vets have no idea what happened or what caused this to happen, unless they do an autopsy thing....which would be too expensive. Miley is moping around, but I told my daughter she will get used to not having her sister with her in a few weeks. Poor Miley. I told her to show her more play and hug time.

Zoe's eye is back to being pink, so I have my fingers crossed it fades to white, and she doesn't do anything else to it.

BF

Hope all the puppies and families are enjoying life together we should all post a pic when theyrre like a yeear old and show a before meets after photo :(

My BC is doing well.... the neighbour asked me yesterday is she was 9 months old! She's not even four! she has just sprouted up though!

Edited by Poppyx

Bf - does Zoe just walk around and knock into stuff or she knocks when playing around?

Poppyx - how big is ur girl? I just weigh my boy and he is 8.5kg. He is 14 weeks and 2 days old. Did you teach your girl a lot tricks to occupy her?

I need to teach my boy more tricks. He mastered most of the tricks in 1 day (although he still have to practice in many places). Anyone know where I can find website that teaches tricks to dogs?