Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Nic ~ Zoe is going well. She has learnt to sit on the top of her steps (the one I got her so she can get on the lounge) and just moan and cry when she see's us eating snacks in the lounge.....its kinda of heartbreaking, but she isn't getting any :laugh: She knows she will get a snack like a schmacko's when we are not eating. Plus now as soon as you put her food on the stand she sits automatically and waits to be told to "go". Its so cute. I keep forgetting to bring the camera inside to take more pictures of my little heifer....she has gained weight and size... :thumbsup:

Oh and Zoe averages going to the toilet every 3-4hrs and she is 19 weeks. At night she can wait it out about 6hrs, but she doesn't have a water bowl to make her go.

Borderfan ~ I hope this 'friend' is willing to take responsibility if this pup attacks someone else....ghee what a nightmare. I'm glad they aren't your real friends, so you can distance yourself. If it was my dog I'd be too worried about the dog attacking the new owners or their children....I have an idea they didn't reveal all to them either :) Its scary to even think about it.

BF

Borderfan - I'd find out exactly what happened first - did the dog bite the owners specifically or did their hands get in the way whilst it was attacking the rabbit and it bit them as part of this? was the child (who was holding the rabbit at the time) attacked in any way? - there is a BIG difference between being HA (human aggressive) and DA (dog aggressive) or animal aggressive - they don't necessarily translate to each other - ie just cause a dog is aggressive towards other animals is no indication it will attach humans and DA dogs can live quite happily in 1 animal households with responsible owners ... if the dog attacked the humans then this is different and I wouldn't be rehoming if it was me ....

Anyway for everyone else I wanted to remind you of this forum and specifically of this item up for auction http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=197143 - its a new puppy kit and the money is going to the MDBA Pacers account for a DOL'er called Jed who has lost her house and several of her dogs in a house fire a few weeks back - she is currently hospitalised and in a serious condition .... its a great cause and I thought some here may like to bid for the puppy pack?

Borderfan - I'd find out exactly what happened first - did the dog bite the owners specifically or did their hands get in the way whilst it was attacking the rabbit and it bit them as part of this? was the child (who was holding the rabbit at the time) attacked in any way? - there is a BIG difference between being HA (human aggressive) and DA (dog aggressive) or animal aggressive - they don't necessarily translate to each other - ie just cause a dog is aggressive towards other animals is no indication it will attach humans and DA dogs can live quite happily in 1 animal households with responsible owners ... if the dog attacked the humans then this is different and I wouldn't be rehoming if it was me ....

Agree, my big boy would eat a bunny no matter who was holding it. He's a big softie but bunnies are completely different to people :) I've also seen plenty of owners bitten when they try to break up dog fights, it doesn't mean the dog is necessarily aggressive towards humans. If it actually attacked a human, that's different.

Thanks guys, Ringo seems to be ok with her, still a little unsure..... hopefully in time they will become best friends.

There are some pics of him and Nandi in the general dog section. :)

I dont know the full story. I was talking to someone else about it at work and the version they were told was similar but different. I am kind of annoyed that I tried to help find the dog a new home when she wasnt entirely honest. I think the owner was bitten as they tried to drag the dog away from the rabbit carcass, I believe the kids were not harmed (physically anyway, pyschologically they saw their pet killed in front of them). She was peeved when I said I couldnt take the dog to my place, I was like I'm not risking my new Bailey boy with anything!

Clastic - I can see a small pic of Pepper in your ticker but I wanna see BIG pics of both your kids!!!

Im still slowly counting!!!!

Hehehe, sorry.. got a handful over here! Princess Pepper kept us up last night with her crying...!

Have taken sooooo many pics, but a couple I like are....

post-10515-1275222188_thumb.jpg

Mars is getting used to 'sharing' with his little sister. Whatever she has... he wants!

Clastic - Pepper is sooooooooooooooo cute. Sorry you were kept up with the crying - I hope she settles soon. Elbie screamed, howled, yowled and barked for three nights - it was awful. He was unrelenting. I always thought that having a second dog like Mars around would have meant that the new puppy doesn't cry! I hope she settles tonight :cry:

And another :thumbsup:

post-10515-1275222421_thumb.jpg

Will try and get a few more nice pics of the both of them together, when they actually sit still! Most are of them playing tug-o-war or attempting to each each others faces! :cry:

Edited by Clastic

Clastic - Pepper is sooooooooooooooo cute. Sorry you were kept up with the crying - I hope she settles soon. Elbie screamed, howled, yowled and barked for three nights - it was awful. He was unrelenting. I always thought that having a second dog like Mars around would have meant that the new puppy doesn't cry! I hope she settles tonight ;)

Thanks! ktb! :eek:

Hehe.. yeh.. the crying, we've all had to deal with it. I hardly heard anything out of Mars when he was young, jumped up on the gate a few times.. then gave up and slept! LOL

The first night with Pepper I didn't put them in together for bed, only cause they had just met a couple of hours earlier.. and I wanted to make sure Mars was OK with her. She was in the ensuite blocked off with a baby gate, so she could still see out and Mars had his bed next to it to keep her company.

Last night though, Mars was being a very good big brother and stayed with Pepper for the night :rofl: Didn't hear a thing out of her, glad that Mars didn't complain about being locked up!! So a nice peaceful sleep for all in this household! :(

Everyones pups are just so darn cute! I love see photos.

We are still having problems with Jager when we leave him alone. I have explained it all in the tread "puppies - when left alone" will it ever get better?

Other than that, he is going from strength to strength. He has grown quicker than i thought he would. Toileting is getting better. 8 out of 10 times he will go onto the pet loo to go (100% if he is in his pen) out of the 2 of 10, half the time he will go back his play pen and just pee on the floor. The other times he just goes where ever he is if we dont catch him in time. But we are really proud of him and he is doing much better than we expected at this stage. He has 'sit' mastered, he sits when told, sits when he gets his dinner, sits to get let out of the pen. Havent tried anything else, now that he is getting better at jumping on the lounge i think 'down' will be the next one :p He will be allowed to be on the lounge but we would also like to be able to tell him to get down when told as well.

Still sleeps like a pro at night. Barks once when he needs to go to the toilet (usually twice a night). One the weekends he starts to cry around the time that we would usually get up so i just put my hand down the side of the bed (between the crate and the bed) and he just drifts back to sleep in a few minutes or just chews on his toy. This weekend we slept in til 10 on saturday (we both had a late night though) and until 8.30 on sunday.

He is such a great little dog, we are so happy that he has joined our lives.

10 weeks old today. Will have to take some more photos and post for you guys.

Clastic - Pepper is so lovely. How are they getting along? Was it chaotic in your house? I am very tempted to buy another dog but it won't be another Border Collie though. I am looking at a dog that is about the size of Shetland Sheepdog. I am just afraid that Oreo will be too energetic for it.

Nushie - You seem to be going well. Oreo also sleeps through the night from 12am till we wake up. He don't sleep during the day though. He could sleep with us till about 12pm during the weekend.

I am approaching my exam period and I need to study so I am thinking of getting a toy which could keep Oreo company. Anyone know any toy that a dog could chase and food will drop out? I was taking a look at Buster Cube and it seems pretty good. We will continue with his 2 x 30 minswalks a day though.

ETA: I already got 2 kongs.

Edited by nicolatu

Nic, by 17 weeks your pup should be sleeping through all night.. My puppy slept through from 9 weeks.

Tuckerballs are also good as are maze balls but they aren't the strongest of toys. I would also get Oreo fully trained and life more settled before considering another puppy.

I'm loving all the puppy pics and wishing my boy was that small again!!

Nic, by 17 weeks your pup should be sleeping through all night.. My puppy slept through from 9 weeks.

Tuckerballs are also good as are maze balls but they aren't the strongest of toys. I would also get Oreo fully trained and life more settled before considering another puppy.

I'm loving all the puppy pics and wishing my boy was that small again!!

Thanks for that. I will buy another puppy in a year or 2. When I graduate from my university and also when Oreo gets older and more mature. I am just researching.

I just went to the pet shop just now and got him a training treat ball and a soft toy with a bouncy ball inside.

borderfan - Yeh.. if only I were in Sydney! Bummer! :thumbsup: We do travel to Sydney sometimes.. so maybe will just have to arrange for a trip once Bailey arrives! :) I think Pepper would enjoy it! :thumbsup:

nicolau - Suprisingly it hasn't been that chaotic over here, it has only been a couple of days with her though. She's a ball of energy and Mars is loving that he's got someone to play with. When she is a bit older, thats when the chaos will start!

Just got my new K9+ crate today and had a practice at putting it up. I couldnt find my 2 year old at bedtime and when I found him he was curled up asleep inside the dog crate with his pillow and teddy, sooo cute :thumbsup:

16 days now!!! :thumbsup:

nicolau - Suprisingly it hasn't been that chaotic over here, it has only been a couple of days with her though. She's a ball of energy and Mars is loving that he's got someone to play with. When she is a bit older, thats when the chaos will start!

Oh a ball of energy, will she rival Ava do you think? :thumbsup: