Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

How cute are corgi pups?! I don't envy your decision - they're all far too adorable!

FD26, he's such a gorgeous little guy! Joker's a brilliant name. I hope he gets used to his crate - we're not using one, but I know the headache inducing cries of an unhappy puppy who you just want to sleep :laugh:

JaxD, I've tried his dry food, carrot and peanut butter (boy, that was fun to try and clean out when he decided he wouldn't bother with it) in his Kong. He really loves his chicken wing and I've heard some people put chicken in their Kongs, but I'm hesitant to as he's a messy little grub. I have to keep evicting him to the verandah because he likes to take his wing out of the bowl and plonk it down on his rug in the living room. Hosing out the garage after a chicken Kong doesn't sound fun. Putting some of his mince + cream cheese might be a slightly cleaner option. He's really getting into his frozen brussel sprouts as well. Not eating them, but pouncing on them as they roll away :laugh: Love the cheese suggestion - I'd forgotten cheese. I'll have to try it tomorrow.

Good luck with the clickering, Oakeydoak! That's great that she responds well to praise!

As for favourite game, he loves chasing/capturing/killing his stuffed duck. And trying to chew on me.

He made a mad bolt for the door halfway through his dinner and raced to the grass for a poo when I let him out. Progress :laugh:

Good morning fellow new puppy owners and nearly new puppy owners!

FD26, how did your first night go?

Niques, Congrats on the toilet training breakthrough! :laugh: Hope it lasts.. Badger's run out a few times but just when I start to trust him, he reminds me not to.. :cry:

How are all the new pups doing today? Didles, how's Winston coping?

Lets have some more pics..

Badger is incredibly difficult to photograph.. He just never pauses long enough for a pic except when he's sleeping.. Now I'm asking hubby for a new camera! First I wanted a puppy, now a camera.. Will it ever end? :D

This is Badger's "wondering what she's doing?" look..

DSC02106.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

My daughter enjoying a rare quiet moment with Badge...

DSC02114.jpg

Morning All,

Badger pics are cute as. Hope the newbies from yesterday all settled in well.

Lola is being good. She had an accident last night after my daughter took her outside. She wasnt out there long enough. She had a good sleep though so that was good. I will try and get some new pics up today.

Our night was chaos lol. I'm wishing I didn't have an interview today because I feel like death warmed up, my poor OH has training today and said on his way to work "I hope I don't blow my arm off" :cry: he's tired as anything.

Joker was insistent on sleeping around 6pm, and we tried to keep him up but felt bad because he'd had such a long flight and a big day - what a mistake that was! He went into bed in his crate at about 9:30 with no fuss at all he was so knackered, but woke up at 2:30am!!! OH took him outside - nothing, I got up and took him out at 3:30am when he was crying again, nothing. Then at about 4:30am after an hour of Staffy screaming :( OH decided to let him out, only to find after cuddling him that he was covered in poo! We think he'd pooed in his crate before 2:30am and that's why he was cying so much, poor guy. At that stage I said "you deal with it" and went and slept on the lounge for another hour before I had to drive OH to work lol. Keeping in mind I didn't get to sleep until about 11pm, I'm exhausted!!! I enlisted my son to come out and mind him until I got back, and I was so grumpy at him...but just as I was leaving he perched up at the back door and he looked so cute I just thought "ahh, how can you be angry?" lol :D

After getting back from dropping OH I gave Joker a good bath and I'm in the process of soaking/washing his blankets to get his crate cleaned up. We've had another two wees in the house this morning, and lots on the back verandah lol...but I don't blame him because it's been raining this morning.

He's getting used to the car pretty well, we went for our third drive this morning to drop my son at school and he was pretty relaxed, yesterday he was terrified lol. I'm using a harness for him and it's so funny on him because he's soooo small! lol

Jax - I know what you mean about not sitting still for photos! I can't seem to pin Joker down either. I might try again this afternoon if I'm still awake :D we'll see.

He's going pretty good inside though, our last pup tried to destroy EVERYTHING in sight lol, but Joker's been good..only playing with the things we give him so far. :laugh:

Hope everyone else is getting some rest :(

Ah no, FD26! What a nightmare! Being covered in poo is never fun but especially in the middle of the night.. Your poor OH!.. Here's hoping your second night will be better.. :laugh:

littlehoot.. So Lola is showing up all these big, bad boys by being a little angel? :cry: How did she go when you left her for your appointment?

Lola was well behaved and asleep when we got back. I was gone for 3 hours. She hadnt had a sleep that morning which I think made the difference.

I have also been using a crate cover at night so that she knows its time to sleep.

Badger is so cute!! Love the pic with your daughter!

I am so glad a researched a breed that would fit well with my family, having 5 children and being busy already, the idea of a breed that was pretty lazy has been a blessing :cry:

She plays for 15-45mins max then sleeps for at least 3hrs. Even playtime doesn't involve much running around, just stalking her toys and bouncing on them, rolling onto her back and chewing, then spending a few minutes trying to get back up (little turtle! :laugh: ). She also wanders around the house checking everything out, sitting every 2mins to rest. Gotta love my lazy bubba!! :(

Nights have been going pretty well, she has been sleeping with me (as hubby is away for work). Last night she slept from 9.30 till 2.30 when she woke me up with kisses and went out to pee and poop. Then up at 6.30. Toilet training is going ok...excellent for poos with no accidents, but wees we are working on. I take her out after every sleep, after meals when I think she looks like she is about to pee, but it is so confusing. This rain doesn't help because I feel so bad if I get the signals wrong and stick her out in the rain for nothing. But she is great and goes straight out onto the grass even in the rain, no accidents on the cement at all. It's only the first week so I can't expect perfection :D but wouldn't it be nice!!

It's hard to keep up with this thread! :laugh:

Red Ruby - Ruby is just toooooo cute! I don't know how you can handle not eating her all up!

JaxD - Badger is so cute! Especially in that last photo awww

Those corgi pups are just (can't think of a cute enough word so just sqweals)!

Not much going on with me puppy wise. He is still just a twinkle in his daddys eye for the moment *sigh*

Hi Everyone

We picked up our beautiful ESS puppy FLYNN on Friday. He is just wonderful.

He is settling really well. He was the first to leave his 10 brothers and sisters, so a little homsick the first night, but is getting better each night.

Isn't this monsoon rain just fantastic!!.......wonderful for the dams and the farmers but not for new inexperienced dog owners!! We are learning the art of juggling poop bag, umberrella, puppy, and torch in our PJs at 2.30am to a fine art!! Glad we bought our winter rain coats from the UK with us. They haven't seen the light of day for the last 3 years, but they are coming in very handy at the moment!!

Am not sure how to download a pic of Flynn, so any help would be appreciated.

Badger and Joker are very handsome young men.

Edited by Jules46

OH decided to let him out, only to find after cuddling him that he was covered in poo!

I'm sorry, I had to laugh at that image :cry: Sorry your first night was disruptive and here's hoping tonight will be much, much easier :D

Badger is absolutely adorable. He's so tiny! He has such a handsome, wise face I forgot how little he is!

Red Ruby, you sound like you've got youreself a lovely little girl! Love the turtle comment :laugh: I envy the laziness! James is prone is bursts of insanity in the evenings.

It's been raining on and off (more on than off today) for a couple of days now and it's becoming increasingly unpleasant to toilet him. The grass has become a mucky paddling pool, particularly in the areas in both the front and back yard that he likes to use for his poos as they're both heavily shaded and thus have sparser grass growth. So I'm standing there in the pouring rain, slipping around in a mushy pile of mud and grass whilst he dives into the garden to have a lie down out of the rain, under a tree.

We've been having accidents galore today. He's still only had the one misplaced poo since we've had him, but he's weeing left, right and centre! One was because he was eating his leash as I tried to take him out, so I was ignoring him til he calmed down. So he wandered off to have a wee whilst my back was turned. That'll teach me.

MAD, I've forgotten if you've already mentioned, sorry - do you already have a breeder/parents for your pup lined up?t

I'm glad to hear Flynn's settling in well, Jules! Can't wait to see pics! If you've already taken them off your camera and have them on your computer, you can add them to your post using the list "Attachments" section that's just under the text box where you type your post.

Isn't this monsoon rain just fantastic!!.......wonderful for the dams and the farmers but not for new inexperienced dog owners!! We are learning the art of juggling poop bag, umberrella, puppy, and torch in our PJs at 2.30am to a fine art!!

:laugh: I know the feeling! I think it was the second night we had James, two of our neighbours were having separate parties - loads of people about -and I was out at 11pm wandering the lawn, in the rain, in my PJs, torch in hand, following a dog (who meandered all around the front lawn, no less!) so he could do a wee.

Isn't this monsoon rain just fantastic!!.......wonderful for the dams and the farmers but not for new inexperienced dog owners!! We are learning the art of juggling poop bag, umberrella, puppy, and torch in our PJs at 2.30am to a fine art!!

:laugh: I know the feeling! I think it was the second night we had James, two of our neighbours were having separate parties - loads of people about -and I was out at 11pm wandering the lawn, in the rain, in my PJs, torch in hand, following a dog (who meandered all around the front lawn, no less!) so he could do a wee.

It's just shocking isn't it!! Last night at 2.30am I was standing in the rain, feet in mud while Ruby was pouncing on little palm fronds in the garden, and growling at a little piece of bark. She is great and wees straight away, changes position then poos...but then likes to wander about pouncing on random things in the garden when I try everything to get her back out of the rain. She glances up at me desperately trying to get her out of the garden with this look like "When I'm ready mum!".

I'm really enjoying everyone's updates today.. Glad I'm not the only one who was standing in the rain in the middle of the night.. although I'm usually too lazy to put on my jacket and end up shivering in my nightie... :laugh:

MAD and Jules, nice to have you back.. Jules, can't wait to see some pics!

I read in another thread about favourite toys and a lot of dogs seem to love things like plastic bottles and toilet rolls. Well, the toilet rolls we've already discovered and I use them often in the morning to distract Badge while I get dressed but I tried a plastic bottle this morning filled with dry pasta.. It was HILARIOUS! He jumped around it, barking and play bowing for about 20 minutes without ever getting close to it! Was SO funny.. I managed to get a few pics. They're not brilliant, I know, but its just a point and press camera and PLEASE excuse the state of my carpet.. I have been vacuuming but with all the rain and the running in and out to the garden, I'm fighting a losing battle..

DSC02124.jpg

DSC02131.jpg

DSC02128.jpg

DSC02134.jpg

Am not sure how to download a pic of Flynn, so any help would be appreciated.

Jules, in the Forum Help/ Suggestions discussion forum, there's a pinned thread at the top called "Adding an image to your post". Troy tells you how to do it there through Photobucket which is what I use. I know you can just add them from your computer (Click 'Choose File' at the bottom of the message box and browse your computer) but you must just make sure you've resized them before adding them so they're not huge, just like you would if you were emailing a pic to someone.. Hope that helps..

Badger's pouncing pose is too cute!

We've put off buying a proper bed for James until he's old enough to not chew it to pieces, so he's had a cardboard box nicely set up for him. A cardboard box that he has made a point of not using, prefering to sleep on the floor. So on a whim this arvo, I pulled out a crate-like container that I put together just before he came (and abandoned before attaching a door as it occured that he'd be far too big for it), and even before I've stuck towels in to make it comfortable, he was wandering inside of his own volition. Come his next nap, I find this:

post-33159-1267510206_thumb.jpg

Am thinking that maybe crate training would have really suited him. But, at least he has a proper bed now.

Wow such great puppy pics, I love to see them, but they make me want my pup so much more :laugh:

I have been keeping busy:

CrateCover1.jpg

I was going to put a door flap on but thought the pup might like to see whats going on, so I left it off. I am going to make some dog coats now. I have some cut out they just need sewing, my favourite is the cow print one :laugh: I love cows.

I can't wait for my puppy..... :laugh:

BF

Edited by Bluefairy