• Dog steals food
    • Dog barks constantly
    • Dog Digs holes and is yard destructive
    • Dog is dog agressive
    • Dog is people agressive
    • Dog esacapes confinement
    • Dog has other undesirable behaviour
    • None of the above, my dog is perfect
  2. 2. Are you prepared to alter the current behaviour?

• Yes, myself
    • Yes, with a trainer
    • No, I'm over it and tried with help
    • No, cant afford help
    • No dont want help, dont have time
    • No, feel like giving the dog up
    • Dont need to alter due to perfect dog
  3. 3. Do you think you have bitten off more than you can chew with your breed

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to have a choice for "I'm too lazy to fix Bella's jumping up when they come through the door" :) She doesn't jump on the people, just does a little dance to say hello and then shoves her nose up their crotch. Hmm, maybe you should have nose to crotch option, too.

You need to have a choice for "I'm too lazy to fix Bella's jumping up when they come through the door" ;) She doesn't jump on the people, just does a little dance to say hello and then shoves her nose up their crotch. Hmm, maybe you should have nose to crotch option, too.

well the nose is jumping up in to out of bounds territory, cant be arsed fixing it, toooo tired.

Quite funny though, Id leave that one but make it on command :)

Edited by Chewbacca

My dog is frightened of many everyday things because he was in a cast from 9 weeks to 5months so he was not socialized properly. He is timid of strangers and is terrified of bikes and cars.

And he is especially frightened of horses ;) .

thats really sad for the both of you :)

I said no I hadn't bitten off more than I could chew with my breed, BUT when I got her, was I prepared for all that comes with a one year old staffy from the pound HELL NO!!

Froggy came into my life pre DOL, and she was the first Staffy I had owned. It was a huge learning curve for both of us, I could totally see why someone who really didn't give a hoot about putting any time into training had dumped her.

In the past 6 and 1/2 years she has taught my so much about dogs, myself and patients. After having owning the most gentle, obliging well mannered Rotty for the 13years prior this it was a real shock to the system :)

What I need in the second one is " I have accepted the problem, it's so minor I just live with it" LOL

Having an Afghan Hound means almost no chance of recall (the odd few do). My boy will never be offlead in public, but it is such a common thing with them being a sighthound. My solution = on lead unless home! :)

I only have one at the moment who has decided after being here for years, that there's some urgency to rush in the back door. It doesn't apply to going out the front or back doors or coming in the front way. We've gone back to the basics again where the door is concerned.

I have no aggression or recall issues which is one thing that I am both very proud of and happy with.

What I need in the second one is " I have accepted the problem, it's so minor I just live with it" LOL

Having an Afghan Hound means almost no chance of recall (the odd few do). My boy will never be offlead in public, but it is such a common thing with them being a sighthound. My solution = on lead unless home! :)

Have you seen Leslie Nelson's 'Really Reliable Recall' DVD? She teaches her Afghans and other sight hounds to recall.

My 'problem' dog, is my almost 12 month old Aussie Shepherd.

I chose

Jumping up on People

Pulling my arm out of its socket

However, they are getting better and better with more training, and I also chose I would get a trainer (if needed)

We also used to have a problem with yard destruction and hole digging until we built him a giant sandpit in the yard.. Now the problem is getting him out!

I'm with Sir WJ. on lead walkies only.

I ticked other undesirable because I have three that MUST meet you at the door as you walk in and create a bottle neck.

When I can actually be bothered doing some full one on one marking work with them then we should be right as rain.

Boo is such a good boy bar the "doesn't so much walk on lead as pull like a steam train" :) we are joining an obedience club this year and this will be our main issue, aside from that he rarely ever has a short "woof", sits, drops, sit/stays and recalls very very well.

Have you seen Leslie Nelson's 'Really Reliable Recall' DVD? She teaches her Afghans and other sight hounds to recall.

No I haven't seen it. Sounds like a good one to watch though. Thanks

To be honest, I'm not really phased about no recall with him. He just stays on the lead when we are off our land. My two whippets are great off lead, fantastic recall.

My greyhound I used to own (Phoebe RIP) also had excellent recall. She would heal even when the kangaroos were within 50m of us.

:)

No I haven't seen it. Sounds like a good one to watch though. Thanks

To be honest, I'm not really phased about no recall with him. He just stays on the lead when we are off our land. My two whippets are great off lead, fantastic recall.

My greyhound I used to own (Phoebe RIP) also had excellent recall. She would heal even when the kangaroos were within 50m of us.

:)

my whippet is the same, can even call her off a scent. Not my doing, just her not so independent personality. She does steal though. The Shepherd is learning heaps faster than the whippet did, doesnt really test the waters either.

With 4 weeks til my baby is due, I need to get the Shep out of the doorway rush, but hell Ive had her less than 3 weeks (here) and the amount of things she has learnt is amazing, even with a name change!! Formal obedience will start in around 2 months

Charlie is a near perfect dog... :)

Biggest work with him was picky eating... things were going well, then he got sick. And, it was important that he had to eat with medicine, so for a while I had to handfeed him. But, I don't do that anymore and it's easier because he loves his BARF and all high calcium diet He still won't eat dry food for the bowl. It still get scattered on the floor for him to eat it.

I got great advice from people on DOL with that issues. Thanks. ;)

Some of the things other people consider behaviour problems I just see as behaviours, I've done little to curb them so I can't really call them a problem can I? ;) The only behaviour I've actively tried to alter is the offlead reliability and I found that the task was way too consuming so I redefined my idea of what 'good behaviour' is, he is very well behaved for a perfectly normal sibe with limited training :)