• Dog steals food
    • Dog barks constantly
    • Dog Digs holes and is yard destructive
    • Dog is dog agressive
    • Dog is people agressive
    • Dog esacapes confinement
    • Dog has other undesirable behaviour
    • None of the above, my dog is perfect
  2. 2. Are you prepared to alter the current behaviour?

• Yes, myself
    • Yes, with a trainer
    • No, I'm over it and tried with help
    • No, cant afford help
    • No dont want help, dont have time
    • No, feel like giving the dog up
    • Dont need to alter due to perfect dog
  3. 3. Do you think you have bitten off more than you can chew with your breed

• Yes
    • No

At 11 months, Jane has well and truly entered her 'teenage' phase. She dosen't normally jump up on us but visitors are another matter so she is on lead then to help curb her enthusiasim!

Her worst undesirable behaviour (at the moment) is lying down when we go for a walk. If she sees someone (anyone) coming toward or behind us she immediately plonks herself down and dosen't budge until the person walks past. She would love them to say hello. Most people assume she is tired and needing a rest but hell no, she just stubborn!

Recall...it was great when she was younger but is shocking now! I have yet to find anything that frightens or scares Jane AT ALL so she does not have a worry in the world! Not a nasty bone in her body thank god but a tiny weeny bit of caution might be handy in order to curb her independant streak! Did she miss her 'Fear' phase of development????

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I chose "other undesirable behaviour" - being that Ahsoka gets too excited when other dogs are nearby (only single dogs when we're at the park. She is fine with dogs in great numbers). It's slowly decreasing with the training I'm doing with her. She does also have a bit of an issue with lead walking (gentle pulling) but this is also improving significantly.

My other dog has absolutely no undesirable behaviours. :)

I chose "other undesirable behaviour" - being that Ahsoka gets too excited when other dogs are nearby (only single dogs when we're at the park. She is fine with dogs in great numbers). It's slowly decreasing with the training I'm doing with her. She does also have a bit of an issue with lead walking (gentle pulling) but this is also improving significantly.

My other dog has absolutely no undesirable behaviours. :)

You've just described Jenna exactly, which is why I ticked "other undesireable behaviour" too.

I also ticked "No recall", which isn't strictly true. She has great recall, unless another dog is nearby. My "Really reliable recall" dvd arrived yesterday so I'm hoping to be able to achieve a better recall soon.

Zeus is pretty well behaved but he can get a bit nasty with other dogs. Though its usually them that want to go him and he has a go back ..? He also wont get off the ute when I ask him (visitors car). It was weird, he just loves going for a ride and flat out would NOT do what he was told (get off the ute)

I have successfully taught him not to do some of the naughty things mentioned and other things he doesn't do because its just not a trait of his breed - and that was just good planning - not my *cough* awesome training skills. lol.

I would completely lose it if my dog wouldnt come when I called it, like some have mentioned. hats off to you, dont know how u do it. :)

Bambi has no real issues besides barking at the door when someone's there (they both do it, but scared away a guy that stalked me a few times so i don't tell them off and they stop when i tell them to), and Tucker's only issue is that i'm too soft to train him properly. They both jump but have gotten SO much better over the past year, and both know to sit if they want a pat. Tucker pulls on the lead a little, but he knows the heel command, and when we're just out having a stroll i take him on the retractable, as he enjoys being a dog, stopping, starting, sniffing & peeing, and i don't particularly want to rob him of that little pleasure.

Her recall is great, his is crap but i don't mind. If i think he's going to be in a situation where he won't listen to me, i'll put him back on the lead. Simple. :)

Great poll Chewy!! :)

My only real issue is with recall. I have read everything, sought help with excellent well known trainers and practice every day when we are out.

The damn dog will recall the first few times, then just seems to get bored and takes off and does his own thing. These days I judge where and when I let him off lead for his sake and the other users of wherever we are. If people have food, then he just can't be let off lead, or I have to watch him like a hawk and get there before he does.

So many people have told me that recall with rescue dogs is often difficult (all my dogs have been pound hounds bar one little miss) and none of them have had good recall. I have managed to teach all other manner of tricks and behaviours but recall has been the least successful (and yet probably the easiest to actually teach!)

My next dog will be a puppy and will have the pants trained off him from a very early age.

I chose the following:

Jumping up on people: this used to be a big problem with my goldy (Genie) but we have been working on it and it has significantly reduced. Now she does it probably once or twice a month.

Stealing food: Since my dogs have access to the kitchen during the day when we aren't there, and Genie can reach the kitchen counters easily, we can't keep any food, plastic containers etc outside.

Recall: Genie has good recall, but Odin doesn't. We are working on it and it has improved.

Edited by Odin-Genie

I chose the following:

Jumping up on people: this used to be a big problem with my goldy (Genie) but we have been working on it and it has significantly reduced. Now she does it probably once or twice a month.

Stealing food: Since my dogs have access to the kitchen during the day when we aren't there, and Genie can reach the kitchen counters easily, we can't keep any food, plastic containers etc outside.

Recall: Genie has good recall, but Odin doesn't. We are working on it and it has improved.

well the jump up seems to be the biggest problem so far! Need a jumping up support thread and diary!!

So many people have told me that recall with rescue dogs is often difficult (all my dogs have been pound hounds bar one little miss) and none of them have had good recall. I have managed to teach all other manner of tricks and behaviours but recall has been the least successful (and yet probably the easiest to actually teach!)

Interesting... The biggest issue I have with Honey is recall (mostly she is reliable just not perfectly so) and yep, not only is she also a goldie but she is also a rescue dog. However, I think that I do need to take responsibilty for not dealing with it. :thumbsup:

Generally speaking she such a pleasure to have around, and after having such a hard time with my last dog I have just been enjoying her. Its nice not to live in permanent bootcamp. I know I am spoiling her (The OH has told me so! :laugh: .) Even so she is still beautifully behaved. Mostly.

I know that were I to get tough and try harder in training her I could fix any niggling bad behaviours.

The fact that she is not the sharpest tool in the shed ( :thumbsup:) and is not as responsive to training makes me a little bit lazy too.

New years resolution #543- get training!!!

My beagle, Jodie is terrible for jumping up at the kitchen bench and trying to steal food. Its a habit we are slowly breaking but is a constant struggle.

If I left a piece of bacon on the kitchen counter my cocker spaniel would even notice. My beagle however would be on the bench eating it.

I got to vote "pefect" but only because Timmy is very submissive / shy / lacking in confidence with other dogs. So I will get a trainer in (we worked with one at his puppyhood) to help me learn to help him have more confidence.

Both Henschke and Jindi have no recall...but only because I haven't trained them! (Boy I'm slack!)

One of the behaviours we're working on is jumping up on people...I have a behaviourist coming to help me with Jindi's shyness/fear of people and will get her to help us with the jumping problem too.

I chose the following:

well the jump up seems to be the biggest problem so far! Need a jumping up support thread and diary!!

Ha ha I noticed that too. My goldy is now mostly under control (she will be two next month) so I guess it was a lot of puppy excitement too. Issue is I absolutely love dogs jumping on me, I love the hugs. So I do miss that!!

Well, Tess is just perfect !! Seriously, she has no problems at all except for barking at small yappy fluffy things that have the audacity to walk past her front door. I have no issue with that !!

Fleming is 99.9% perfect. The only problem I have with him is if he sees a cat then it's shoulder dislocation time (mine, not his). I don't think that any self-respecting dog could walk past a cat without wanting to chase it so agin, not an issue.

I am such a proud mum :laugh:

I picked the following:

Jumps on people - It's something I definitely need to work on because when you have a 25kg dog jumping at you, it can hurt! Its only when people come to the house really, and I dont get a lot of visitors, so I might have to enlist some people to door knock for me to practice :laugh:

Rushes Doors - He doesnt really rush unless he is extremely excited (or someone comes over) and I am not consistent with him, so thats my fault. He does know how to give me space at the door most of the time.

Escapes confinement - Bosco is the houdini of the dog world. Nothing keeps him in except his roofed, solid floored, four walled run! He can jump 6+ foot fences, and if he cant go over, he eats through it, which is why I cant leave him in the house alone... He has already gone through an internal door and destroyed carpet. Its mostly due to his seperation anxiety, which I still need to work on because I have been slack with that.

Other undesireable behaviour - He is not a barker, but when someone comes over, I cant shut him up! Definitely something I want to try to work on. I dont necessarily want to stop him from barking if someone comes into the yard/door, because I live on my own, but it would be nice if he stopped when I asked him too. :thumbsup:

Other than that, he is a pretty good boy. :thumbsup:

Edited by lokelani