• Dog steals food
    • Dog barks constantly
    • Dog Digs holes and is yard destructive
    • Dog is dog agressive
    • Dog is people agressive
    • Dog esacapes confinement
    • Dog has other undesirable behaviour
    • None of the above, my dog is perfect
  2. 2. Are you prepared to alter the current behaviour?

• Yes, myself
    • Yes, with a trainer
    • No, I'm over it and tried with help
    • No, cant afford help
    • No dont want help, dont have time
    • No, feel like giving the dog up
    • Dont need to alter due to perfect dog
  3. 3. Do you think you have bitten off more than you can chew with your breed

• Yes
    • No

I feel better after this poll, hehe. With a 35kg German Sheperd, I'm glad that she doesn't jump on people (she did but once she's got a gentle knee in the chest twice she's learnt her lesson) and she doesnt pull on leash. Only problems are really Recall, which we're working on, and digging up the yard and destroying anything in sight - although I was prepared for this when we got her, so i'm not really surprised.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My beagle, Jodie is terrible for jumping up at the kitchen bench and trying to steal food. Its a habit we are slowly breaking but is a constant struggle.

If I left a piece of bacon on the kitchen counter my cocker spaniel would even notice. My beagle however would be on the bench eating it.

Change Cocker to Kelpie x and beagle to Viz puppy and that's this house..

Although, he hasn't tried again since he stole the leftover roast chook and got sin binned four times over it :laugh:

Busters only real issue is his DA, I want to work on it with myself and a trainer.

I don't think I bit off more than I can chew with his breed/mix, I just think he had a rough start and had I known then what I know now the DA would have probably been nipped in the bud before it became such an issue. Live and learn.

He jumps up on me everytime he greets me but I like it and he will stay down if I ask. He very occasionally jumps on strangers if they get him overexcited but its not what I'd call a problem, they pretty much have to be asking for it.

Edited by busterlove

My 3 are terrible jumpers when I have visitors. One has excellent recall, one is OK and one can never be let off the lead - I'd never see her again - she is also DA and pulls on the lead. Fortunately she's only a small terrier. We've been to Steve at K9Force and I really tried to put his methods into practice, but it just got so hard because I couldn't see any change in her. Working full time and having two other dogs got in the way of her training. She's an excellent house dog and I still insist on walking her with the other two - I just put up with her bad behavour.

i have just realised how lucky i am, my dogs don't do anything bad :laugh:

except my new bully, who can't go offlead as he just decides when he wants to go home he will, and his walks consist's of ambling 2 doors down and then just stopping to look around :cry:

hard trying to get him leaner when he won't move :D

post-3531-1264047543_thumb.jpg

Need an option to show the dogs was like that, but has come good with training.

My newf rescue was dog /people aggressive, not potty trained, pulled like a horse, jumped on furniture/benches. But she made it and is great, both socially and at home. She is only just a little shy with some men still, but no aggression anymore.

If you put in the time and effort you can be lucky and come out the other side with the perfect dog......My Sweet Annabelle

Zedley is a pretty good dog, except he is a runner. He does know recall, but if he sees something interesting then he is off. I have tried and given up (he is a Wire HF Terrier) and keep him on lead or confined dog areas, or on a long line. He does escape from time to time. I must get my gates dropped a few inches as he has commandos under them and goes to visit with the ngihbours :laugh:

Cruise was taught manners from word go, and was a perfect student.

Roxy was adopted by us when she was about 18months, she had some manners, but needed to learn to behave on a lead (we think she was a farm dog to start) and not to barge through doors. We have her walking on a lead nicely, and even at the point where she goes to the in laws, where the goldies rule the roost, and knock you over when they barge thru the door, and Roxy will still wait to be invited in!

I chose:

Escapes confinement - luckly Gypsy is very well behaved inside so when we go out she gets locking in the house.

Other undesireable behaviour - she is a kissy dog. Everytime she goes near someone she licks, it's almost like she can't help herself. She gets told No licks when she does it, and if she keeps going a light tap on the nose usually stops her... but not for long. I've pretty much accepted that this probably isn't going to change any time soon, but considerring the things she could be doing wrong, this is fairly mild so doesn't really worry me too much.

I've picked the Fauves....

They jump on people BUT not normally on lead - only when they walk into our yard so I manage it. I suppose I will be honest and admit that I excuse it because they aren't very tall and it is easier for me to pat them when they do it. I don't encourage them to do it to others and they know not to do it whilst they're on lead.

They go through doors ahead of me - really doesn't bother me. Normally I'm opening the door to let them out so I want them to go ahead of me.

They have poor recall though I will admit to never having tested it. They're a scenthound - my view is, why risk it? In saying this I have thought that with my next Fauve I will work harder on recall as a pup. For the last 11 years I've owned breeds that are either not recommended for off-lead walking OR are notorious for poor recall - JRT, greyhound, deerhound & Fauves so off-lead walking is just not something I do.

They would steal food if it was out but they're scenthounds. Isn't that what all scenthounds do?

They can and have dug holes and been yard destructive but we're working on that at the moment. Talking to people in the UK it does seem to be a breed trait - they will dig down for insects etc who burrow in the lawn or garden, its not just a case of digging a hole for the sake of it, they're chasing something. Most breeders in the UK seem to consider that a nice garden doesn't co-exist with the breed - I'm trying to prove them wrong :curtsey:

I'm working on fixing the above things but their good points far exceed their bad so I will admit to not being overly fussed by what they do.

This poll has jinxed me, I usually have perfect dogs considering that the oldies are 19 and 18 ( there too old to have any issues) and my 5 year old Flat Coat is a very good girl. So I smugly ticked out the perfect dog boxes.

Last night my good girl chewed up a pillow from my bed :) white fluffy stuff every where.