A Poo Question Or Two

My dog is healthy but he's always been a strange poo'er. :)

After dropping a stool or two he moves around, has a sniff and does more. He can reposition himself up to 5 times for one poo!

Most dogs I observe don't move this much and usually do it all in one go. Is it possible my dog has some kind of blockage? He doesnt seem to be forcing anything. He's been like this since a puppy.

The other thing is I have noticed he does mushy poos on hot days. I'm guessing this is because of all the extra water he is drinking?

Thanks for any insights.

Gertrude runs along sniffing the ground, then circles for some time, poos, then bolts off as though she is being chased. It takes her quite a few minutes to complete her ritual. It's about the only time I see her really move.

Only on DOL would the intricacies of dog poo and dogs pooing be discussed in detail. :)

In my experience some dogs stay in one spot, some do the walk around which if you're bagging makes it interesting, some back up to bushes. But if he looks like he's straining (you can usually see muscles contracting around the rear - although you've got a fluffy so a little harder to see) you might want to consider what he's eating and looking at his diet as he may need something to help him get it all out in one go! Are his stools firm and dry or soft??? (OMG I don't believe I just asked that question! :) )

Only on DOL would the intricacies of dog poo and dogs pooing be discussed in detail. :)

In my experience some dogs stay in one spot, some do the walk around which if you're bagging makes it interesting, some back up to bushes. But if he looks like he's straining (you can usually see muscles contracting around the rear - although you've got a fluffy so a little harder to see) you might want to consider what he's eating and looking at his diet as he may need something to help him get it all out in one go! Are his stools firm and dry or soft??? (OMG I don't believe I just asked that question! :) )

Yes his poo is usually firm and dry (except on hot days as explained above). Only other time he goes mushy is if I suddenly change his diet.

I feed him a combination of Royal Canine, cooked vegetables and raw pet-grade chicken mince from a chicken shop. This is all parts of the chicken minced up (bone included) after the good mince is taken out for humans.

He has this combination about 5-6 times a week. I'm wondering if all the bone in this mince might be blocking him a bit, but looking at it the amount of bone in the mince isn't huge and its in small pieces he chews on and munches up.

Both mine are wierdos!! Wandy the kelpie must walk and poo.............luckily we have enough space for her to do that :laugh:

Zola however is a pain in the bum when it comes to poo-time. First we must find the ideal spot - this can take quite some time, 'specially when Im in a hurry! Then we need to check if it is indeed the right spot :laugh: Perhaps theres a better spot here under this small prickly shrub!!

Then and only then will we poo, and please dont watch mum - it makes me nervous :) .. She is also easily distracted - oh look, theres something over there that needs sniffing, hmmm, what was I doing???

Makes for interesting afternoon walks, me commanding the dog to poo, she pretty much doing whatever the hell she wants. Must sound wonderful to any neighbours that are in earshot :laugh::cry:

Rat

Yes, both mine do it... although, seemingly for different reasons.

Chloe's movements seem to be quite calculated and deliberate :laugh: Like it's a game of hide-the-poo, and I think she takes great pleasure in it!!

Sasha, bless her cotton socks, takes forever to find the perfect spot - then seems to forget that's what she was doing, or focus is re-directed elsewhere, and she moves along, still in 'position'.

It always makes me laugh though! Sometimes I yell out the window to Sasha - STOP AND FINISH! And she gives me a look that says 'oh yeah that's right!' :laugh: Chloe will just give me a knowing smirk :laugh:

:scared::eek: What a topic!

My Kody is a walker too! As a puppy I thought that he may have been having trouble, however he is now 18 months old and still does it.

I also note that some days his stools can be a little softer than usual, even though he eats the same food each day. I have not been too concerned by this however, as he seems to be healthy and happy.

LOL this is an interesting topic indeed :scared:

Humphrey takes his time finding his 'poo spot' and has been known to do the 'up the tree poo' lol. Scarlett is much faster, which is good :eek:

How many stools do your dogs do each day?

I have actually wanted to ask that question many times and the 'right' topic has never happened, lol

Humhrey does two poo's a day and Scarlett does three mostly. They are on dry food and chicken wings atm. Is this the 'right' amount of poo? I have always wondered :cheer:

Molly squats to poo then while still squatting starts to waddle forward resulting in a poo in a nice straight line. I can tell which dog pooped by whether its a row of poo or a little pile. Oh and at the dog beach she always poops about 3 feet out in the water so I have to wade in to scoop it. Aghh

Occy walks around while doing it, Max just stays in one spot.

My childhood dog hated being watched while pooing. She would turn her back on you. If you walked around so you were in front of her, she would turn around, but she didn't move away from her spot. Made for some very interesting Mr Whippy shaped piles :)

:cry: Thank God mine isn't the only poo-walker!! Chestnut is only 12 weeks old, he does about 4 poos a day depending on whether he finishes the poo before getting distracted (like many before him by the sounds of it!). He sniffs for a while to get the right spot, and seeing as we've got a square of fake grass for him, about 50cm x 40 cm, so I'm very grateful whenever he does hit the right spot! He does the running away thing once he's finished, more often just before he's finished so the 'result' ends up off the porch... :( But we're getting there! I have realised he doesn't like to do it with us watching too closely either :mad

Guest belgian.blue

My dog is boring, she stands still and does it, then as soon as the last bit comes out she sprints back to the house with the biggest grin on her face :(

I DID A POOH MUM!!!!

Though I get in to the habit of checking her rear end as it's so hairy to make sure it's clean, seeing as she's always on my bed. We sometimes have to wash the area when she has the runs :cry: But she knows and lets me clean it with the most saddest look on her face.