Bad Behaviour Around New Boyfriend

peigirl

Congrats on getting a BF.

I know Raf can be prone to stress so rather than a crate why not checkout ebay and find one of the kids gates. Easier than a playpen as you dont have to step over it but has a little gate that opens and closes. We have them all over the house when Jack was here so girls were separated at night. He had a bad habit of putting a cold wet nose on Daisy in the middle of the nights.

My girls are fine with being patted while sleeping and I quite often check on them if I get up during the night and give them a pat. Other dogs that have stayed here are not so easy going.

Can BF do some obedience training with them both, even if its a few sits and drops while in front of the TV?? Give them some treats each time they are good.

Also have a chat with AMS if Stephanie is busy as she is wonderful with that type of doggy behaviour

The Crate Games dvd by Susan Garrett is probably the best way you can introduce them for Raf if you wanted to. But I can see why you would want to steer clear of them.

A pen would probably be fine, I would drape some sheets over the surrounds and perhaps re-position it so it's not so close to BF's side if that's possible. Raf may just be going through a settling in period with him, but if he's touchy about the dark or resource guarding then BF should be told not to touch the dog in the night! :)

Just be wary of resource guarding behaviour during the day towards your BF- you'd want to get some Behaviourist advice if it is escalating.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Just get out of bed and let your dog know it is wrong....

For fooks sake your dog isn't angel glass....

If your dog snaps,,,,get out of bed and correct your dog..

I have a pit and she knows her place....it is not rocket science.....

Maybe go back to square one...obviously your dog has no idea....

Time to make your dog realise she is acting incorrectly,,,,(no trainer needed) you think packs call a trainer in all the time????

Get out of bed and correct your dog,,,,not too hard....rouse,,put her outside,,,who cares....your choice

Guest Kate_Summer

Sounds like Raf is running the house, he needs to know that is place in the pack isnt as a leader but as* a follower.

Edited by Kate_Summer

As a matter of interest, how do you reckon BF feels about having dogs in the bedroom ?

Clearly, he needs to love what you love :) --- I just wonder if considering having them sleep elsewhere is an option ?

just asking --- and this is from someone who lets doggie sleep on our bed when OH is away

BF is a dog person and trying very hard, came equipped with toys and treats when he met them.

Without suggesting professional opinion is not required (that's your judgement call and I cannot responsibly suggest to you it is not needed), I think one of the things your BF could do is to stop trying so hard for Raf to like him.

Edited by Erny

Sounds like Raf is running the house, he needs to know that is place in the pack isnt as a leader but as* a follower.

I think so too! Do you do the NILF program with him at all (nothing in life is free)? I brought my girl up on that basis and she definitely knows whos boss. We still do these things every day, make her wait for food and watch me before she eats, we go through doorways first, make her sit to go in and out, basically she has to do something to gain something all the time and it helps her know her place ;)

Your dogs are very cute!

BF is a dog person and trying very hard, came equipped with toys and treats when he met them.

Without suggesting professional opinion is not required (that's your judgement call and I cannot responsibly suggest to you it is not needed), I think one of the things your BF could do is to stop trying so hard for Raf to like him.

This could be so :(

I have no 'training' or Pei experience so you are welcome to ignore my post :D

However, I do have experience of this nature.

My daughter's partner has a dog and we have had this dog on and off for 7 years and he is super duper adorable and gorgeous and extremely well trained, to the point that BF can go and leave him(dog) and the dog will not move (ie. he took a neighbours dog home recently as it was roaming, and his dog stayed in the driveway for 20 mins in a sit whilst he was up the road!)

however, Boss can be trouble as anything of BFs is protected, even silly things, EVERYTHING. Sometimes I could not get to my back door as the dog was protecting the WINDOW where the kids were ;)

I quickly learnt the commands to deal with this dog (we are BEST friends ;) ) and meanwhile we put things in order like nothing of BFs was allowed to lay around etc. and BF was fantastic and if there was an issue, dealt with it immediately. The dog soon learnt that I was 'family' and poor thing also had to come to terms with 4 cats and our 2 dogs.

This dog is very very strongwilled etc. and devoted to his master, really devoted!! and needs a strong owner who he respects (which he has). If anyone is 'weak' (me!) he can be a handful. So although I do kiss :) and cuddle him , I also let him know the boundaries and re enforce my 'strength' all the time. The BF also shows him that I am 'important' by telling the dog 'away' or 'lay' etc. when we are close to each other. THis is a dog who is even like this with the BFs brothers!! not the parents though, and Boss has mellowed these days.

I wish you all the best and of course a pei person would be the one to speak too, I have 2 down the road and they wont walk past me?? when I visit. I have to move away?? They are really lovely dogs :)

PS. We use NILIF etc., but with Boss, he was perfect for his owner, but not for anyone else, so it's not a 'cure all' for this behaviour. If it's too difficult, a behaviourist is the best idea. We were lucky that Boss was very well trained, but I had to learn new behaviours!!! I had to be tougher.

The culprit!IMG_2262.jpg

the BC, not the viz.

you are a female, Raf is a male. Now a new male has stepped into his spot in the house and he is trying to take it back. Him trying to 'beg' for Rafs attention is egging him on. He doesnt have to be harsh with Raf at all, just ignore him a bit more and you have to get a little more control over the dog. THe times he actually hurt the dog accidentally, well OK he deserved that :D, but the other times he should just ignore the dog.

If Raf is the possessive type, a crate is not always a great idea as it can up the possessive behavior. Let him have his own bed in the bedroom, if he misbehaves then out of the bedroom for a while and he can 'earn' his way back in. As soon as you wake up as well, all dogs out sleep time is over.

You just need to work on him a bit, I dont see this out of the ordinary for a male Pei with a female owner (or most other breeds, very common actually)

I'll leave others with more experience to comment on the behavioural issues, however just wanted to add that I also crate trained my two when they were adults (around 5 years old).

It can be done and it really does come in handy.