When A Judge Does Not Examine Your Exhibit

Jumabaar

Why does so many people want or more to the point NEED the judge to touch your dog???

A good judge, in most cases, shouldn't need to touch your dog.......and I think far too many do unnecessarily, and wasting time, because of this ideal exhibitors seem to have!

If they can see right off as you enter the ring that your dog has for example, poor hind angulation or light eyes or not enough forechest, why waste everyone's time if to that particular judge, the winner is obvious?

Why go through the motions when there is no need?

Doesn't everyone want to get home earlier rather than later?

Surely a judge can, in most cases be able to see angles, substance, bone etc without the need to go all over your dog???....... the exception may be in some coated breeds obviously.

sorry I am a little confused!!!

If I'm paying approx $12 + per entry (not including my time, petrol, city link passes and crappy food from the canteen), he/she better go over my dog.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm paying approx $12 + per entry (not including my time, petrol, city link passes and crappy food from the canteen), he/she better go over my dog.

If a judge didn't go over my dog once, I'd not be spending money on another entry under him/her. I'd not make a fuss but I'd never give them another one.

At NSW Puppy of the Year on sat night, one of the judges only gave my dog a very cursory going over on the table (teeth and a pat). When we moved, that judge *turned his back* for the whole time :laugh: . These were the only chances we had to be judged. Entry fee was $35 and I was mighty cross that one judge (who presumably doesn't like Toys :laugh: ) chose to disregard my dog before *any* examination had taken place.

(and no, he did not have a chance to see the dogs at any other time)

Not happy Jan, and would never give that judge an entry again.

At NSW Puppy of the Year on sat night, one of the judges only gave my dog a very cursory going over on the table (teeth and a pat). When we moved, that judge *turned his back* for the whole time :laugh: . These were the only chances we had to be judged. Entry fee was $35 and I was mighty cross that one judge (who presumably doesn't like Toys :laugh: ) chose to disregard my dog before *any* examination had taken place.

That is horrible!!! We get a few judges in both our breeds that seem very uninterested. it makes you feel as though you are wasting their time :laugh:: Borders are an early breed so you can't use the judge has had a long day excuse!

At NSW Puppy of the Year on sat night, one of the judges only gave my dog a very cursory going over on the table (teeth and a pat). When we moved, that judge *turned his back* for the whole time :( . These were the only chances we had to be judged. Entry fee was $35 and I was mighty cross that one judge (who presumably doesn't like Toys :mad ) chose to disregard my dog before *any* examination had taken place.

I had a judge examine my baby puppy at one show but she refused to mouth her. said to me"oh she is only a baby"

I should of said to her....

"excuse me, but I paid $10.00 for you to judge my baby!" By the way she has a beautiful mouth if you only care to look".

But I didnt.

From now on I will.

I have had enough of judges only giving a glance to some breeds but more of a look to others.

By the way.....if a judge doesnt look at your dog when you are going around the ring(always check as you start off.... then stop and wait for them until they do.

Actually I wouldn't be that concerned if a judge didn't want to see the mouth on a baby puppy. It could be that they are showing some knowledge of how a mishandled mouth as a baby can cause ongoing show temperament issues that can be very hard to deal with later.

I'd be far more concerned if they didn't touch the rest of the dog.

Actually I wouldn't be that concerned if a judge didn't want to see the mouth on a baby puppy. It could be that they are showing some knowledge of how a mishandled mouth as a baby can cause ongoing show temperament issues that can be very hard to deal with later.

I'd be far more concerned if they didn't touch the rest of the dog.

I agree with that and speaking from experience, I actually prefer it when they say it's not worth looking at the mouth. I have a Schipperke bitch that is 8 months old and she had a bad experience in baby class with a Judge who "attacked" her mouth. She nearly jumped off the table as the handling was so harsh. It then took me 3 months of patiently explaining to Judges that my puppy does NOT have a temperament problem but had a Judge who was rough with her mouth. I was lucky that they were ALL prepared to spend time calming her down and being very gentle with her, to the point that now you wouldn't even know she had had a problem.

I had a judge ask me if my puppy was teething and I honestly answered yes and the judge said simply well we'll leave the mouth today no use making it any more uncomfortable. since getting out of baby stage though every judge has opened his mouth since but all kindly :mad

Agree with the above.....I was very lucky that Dashiel stayed in the ring after a judge RIPPED HIS TOOTH OUT when she snatched the lead to hurry him in baby sweepies.

Luckily the breed judge saw the whole thing and was soooo sweet & gentle with him.

I will also stop & wait for the judge to turn back to me before proceeding.

a friend's husband was so peeved with the judge looking at the other ring while he was running the dog - he stopped in the middle of his circle and said to the judge........"you ready" ?!!

fifi

Yep it wouldnt worry me if a judge didnt mouth a baby & generally speaking i find most dont or they run there finger quickly for a feel like most flat faced are judged.

Its a baby with baby mouth ,often no teeth & things change,once in CC line up then yes.

a friend's husband was so peeved with the judge looking at the other ring while he was running the dog - he stopped in the middle of his circle and said to the judge........"you ready"

That happen to me once many moons ago so i left the ring.Judge was watching there breed in the ring next door.

Sat outside ,after awhile the penny dropped & the judge realised he hadnt finished judging me or awarded me.

I didnt bother going back in as i didnt see the point but a very embarrassed judge & hopefully a lesson learnt

Havasneeze, I went through the same (sort of experience) with my Min Pin Clancy.

His first Members Comp, the judge was so rough with him and went straight to his head with both of his hands that it freaked him out, he started to get really aggro and wouldn't let him near him (The judge that night told me to get the dog under control or else)! It was even worse for the in show award when another judge was visibly frightened of Clancy that he just gotten worse!

But was really thankful that Lisa (Who also shows Min Pins as well) was there that night, she gave me some invaluable advice on how to handle Min Pins correctly! :mad

It left me in utter confusion as to how he went from being so arrogant and playful to this! I've even been told that Min Pins will embarrass you and even just recently saw other DVD's where other Min Pins embarrassing their poor owners!

Even when I attended a show training lesson with Ashley Reid, Clancy wasn't even very nice to him that day! :(

Now he is 10 months, I usually hold his head to check his teeth, but when the judge starts handling his body, I just let him go and stand in front of him with 100% of trust in him!

I think with a lot of handling, in and out of the shows, he managed to be able to trust many judges after that and all! Many of the judges I've had recently was fantastic, and the judge at Lang Lang was drinking her bottle of water and he got a little concerned that she may hurt him, but he just completely let his guard down after the initial pat.

I have found many judge to be different, some judge are very friendly, others just treat judging as part of a job, and some that probably don't have any interest.

That member's comp has completely rattled my poor Min Pin ;), so that is why I've never been back and now just prefer judges at Champ shows to handle him as I feel that if they did get their license to judge, they must have had some experience with Min Pins and know how to handle them properly as well as many breeds.

I personally think when it comes to puppies stages that the judges should be very understanding and positive towards them and allow them to be able to be comfortable and enjoy the show! Puppies shouldn't have to feel frightened or terrified, you'd want them to walk out of the ring with their head held high and tails wagging!

So to the Netherlands judge who did the judging for Group 2 on Saturday Australia Day show at Bulla, a :( for trying to help that poor staffy who didn't want to be handled! ;)

I agree, thumbsup to the Netherlands judge :) many times he got on the ground and gave the babies a big cuddle and a pat, so it was a pleasant experience for them :thumbsup: he judged group 5 today! two enthusiastic thumbs up for this judge, made showing a much more enjoyable time :)

I guess mouthing a baby puppy is a catch 22 situation really, it is good to get babies used to having their mouth checked, but then again a teething baby can be quite put off and have a daunting experience with someone poking around their mouth (however in saying that most judges just want to see that the baby has a correct scissor bite).

Sometimes its not worth pushing it if the baby refuses as it can create a long horrible experience for the puppy, once the pup goes into minor then it should be expected that the mouth can be checked :)

I guess mouthing a baby puppy is a catch 22 situation really, it is good to get babies used to having their mouth checked, but then again a teething baby can be quite put off and have a daunting experience with someone poking around their mouth (however in saying that most judges just want to see that the baby has a correct scissor bite).

Sometimes its not worth pushing it if the baby refuses as it can create a long horrible experience for the puppy, once the pup goes into minor then it should be expected that the mouth can be checked :)

My Schipp actually had no problem with getting her mouth checked until she was handled roughly. The Judge was also taken aback at her reaction and didn't seem to even comprehend what she had done.

I have had a few judges offer to leave the mouth on a baby, if this happens, I have actually asked them to just feel the teeth and all have obliged :) IMO even just gently putting a finger under the lip is good enough for a baby puppy to associate good things.