Moron At The Vet Clinic

Guest Willow

I have never seen anyone enter a vets with a dog off lead. I am agog that people do this!!

They surely do, loose dogs and cats, always makes for a colourful morning.

:mad:(:( especially what I call 'cat trees', the fool that walks in the door with a loose cat in their arms, cat smells the clinic or sees a dog, and tears up the owner like a tree - usual results are:

*lost cat if the door was still ajar

*nurse swabbing owner with betadine from arms to face

*owner & nurse looking like idiots trying to catch loose cat in car park

*loose cat in clinic & usual chaos

*stern lecture to client on methods of containing cats

If someone makes a cat appointment, I always ask if they have a carry cage & offer a loaner if needed.

fifi

efs

Edited by fifi

I regularly get the ones who waltz in with their offlead dog, it lifts its leg on the counter / chair / door, before I can slap a lead on it, and the owner has a good belly laugh & says..."he always does that when we get here".......

I would be handing the owner the mop! :mad

Whilst accidents can happen, I'm mortified on the rare occasions a dog of mine makes a mess.

I ASK for the mop.

:-) no one minds a genuine accident - hell, mine have made a swimming pool in some wait rooms on a rare occasion when sick or in pain.

Its the flockwits that think its rather amusing that I object to......

It's not like those same people would stand at the reception desk in their GP or hospital & pee........then again.........

fifi

I remember being there one day when there was a client I knew who had been working very hard to rehabilitate her DA beagle (the beagle was seriously atacked when she was a puppy). She had taken herself off to a quiet corner to wait, when a mum and (approx) 9 or 10 year old girl came in with a small fuzzy dog in the girls arms. She get sin the door, drops the dog to the floor and says "go play then" :mad The dog charges up to the Beagle, whose owner gets in front & SCREAMS at the kid "GETTOURF******DOGAWAYFROMMERIGHTNOW!!!!"....to which girl goes white as a sheet & picks the dog up....couldn't have put it better myself!!!!

that's unbelievable! i'm always paranoid at the vets that there could be dogs there that are infectious and so keep mine (on the lead of course) close to me. yet this one just lets her dog go up to another dog :(

mine have had a couple of accidents there as well and i've always asked for a mop

i can't believe that people would take a cat not in a cat cage, they must enjoy being scratched to pieces!

I also can't believe people would take their dog to a clinic without a lead on!! It does sound that a big sign is in order here... maybe you should type one up and ask the Nurse if you can put it up on the door???!!! :)

I also can't believe people would take their dog to a clinic without a lead on!! It does sound that a big sign is in order here... maybe you should type one up and ask the Nurse if you can put it up on the door???!!! :)

They don't read them :thumbsup:

I have never seen anyone enter a vets with a dog off lead. I am agog that people do this!!

Me either and I have spent a lot of time in the waiting rooms or outside two very busy vets. I have seen plenty of people rock up with the animal loose in the car, go in and borrow a lead or a cat cage. Maybe our vets have their clients better trained. :)

A frequent sight at our vets, though is birds not in cages. The owners just wander in with them on their shoulder but it never seems to cause a problem.

The funniest sight I have seen in the waiting room was the guy who came to pick up his pet and transfered it from the vets carrier to his own in the waiting room. Everyone in the room tried to escape when he lifted his very large, very unhappy snake up to put it in a sack to take it home. :)

You can always tell when the wildlife specaialist is on because everyone in the waiting room has a squirming hession sack. :thumbsup: and anyone with dogs and cats is waiting outside.

i can't believe that people would take a cat not in a cat cage, they must enjoy being scratched to pieces!

My cat would go for walks on his lead and to the vet etc. He was perfectly calm and happy & would sit or lay on my lap. Or show off his tricks to interested parties :) Interstingly enough, I never had many dogs interested in him when he was on my lap, however when mum's cat was brought in (in a carrier) she would yowl her head off in disgust which would set all the dogs off??

However I would never have had my cat loose in the clinic.

yep idiots are no restricted to country vet clinics

I took Caesar to the vet a couple of weeks ago and a guy came in with 2 dogs off lead and they put them in an exame room while he went out and go 3 more all off lead. the little one chi mix kept escaping the exam room to come out and annoy Caesar, thankfully he is dog friendly although does get excited at littlies.

then on friday I took him to my usual vet to have it checked, and sitting in the doorway paying the account where 2 guys with a small staffy off lead. She was not the problem, I waited outside while they left trying to call her out past mine and she was having none of it so, as they got out the door to call her they saw that I had Caesar and Olympus (he wouldn't stay home without Caesar) they picked the poor dog up and said watch out you will be lunch as if my dogs both on lead and sitting would harm her. I just told him that they wouldn't bother as she was hardly as snack.

then we had to content with vets cat who thinks that he owns the place and all dogs should be cat friendly or non reactive.

thankfully vet nurse knows that Caesar hates cats and quickly grabed him and put him out the back ( I usually call ahead to tell them to put him away), but we also found out the Olympus gets excited around cats. so will need to call ahead with Olympus as well in future as controling Caesar 40kg is one thing but holding Olympus back at 62kg and rising is another.

why can't people be more responsible and understand that no all dogs like cats or other dogs and keep them under control.

Ah yes, loose cats!!! My Staffy lives with three cats & is tolerant & gentle as a lamb with them, but I know from seeing his reaction to cats in the street that he doesn't view other cats the same as his "family cats"....

The funniest sight I have seen in the waiting room was the guy who came to pick up his pet and transfered it from the vets carrier to his own in the waiting room. Everyone in the room tried to escape when he lifted his very large, very unhappy snake up to put it in a sack to take it home. :)

Many years back, when a uni's vet clinic was in cramped quarters, people with their pusses & dogs in the waiting room, were startled when an unconscious lion was carried thro'. Was with a visiting circus.

Probably was aged & low on teeth, but who was counting.

Yes, I would agree with the dogs on lead, cats in cages.

I was at the vet the other day with my staghound boy who HATES cats, & if given the chance would probably rip one to shreds but he hasn't been given the chance with me so I don't know. Anyway a bloke walks in with a cat in his arms who when it sees the dogs digs its claws into his shoulder, it looked absolutely terrified & I had to sit there worried the whole time that it got a fright & jumped off it could be mince meat! Meanwhile my boy is whinging & whining & carrying on because he wants to eat it!

At least if a cats in a cage it's less stress for other dog owners in the clinic.

:dummy: Just had to add the other night was picking up some takeaway tea for my father with my stag boy in the car & was at the speaker box when a resident feral cat walks up to the speaker & promptly sits down & starts to clean itself eyeing my boy off, SO of course my boy starts his usual hysterics of wanting to leap out & rip the cat apart & the cat just sits there. I'm trying to order with the lady which was very unsuccessful & she is wondering what on earth is going on! When I got to pay I had to apologise & in the future will check there is no cats hanging around! :dunce: