Which Dog For Me?

NotSureWhich

Thanks everyone once again. :)

The two dogs I have are a 14 year old Kelpie X and a 10 year old mini foxy. I did have another mini foxy in the mix but unfortunately he died from snake bite some years ago.

I did do obedience and club agility many many years ago with the Kelpie X and loved it, as did she. However at the time I was told I could not compete with her as she wasn't a papered dog. Then due to a change in jobs I wasn't able to attend any obedience or agility. So did some work with my girl at home, kept her busy etc. But I never got a chance to get into the agility which we both loved.

Lifestyle change again means I now work from home, have the time to put into a new dog. Go to obedience and agility training.

I have a laid back personality but I don't allow my dogs to do as they please. It's not in their best interests or mine.

Other than the Finnish, maybe there is something else more suitable.

I took the two select a pet tests and they came up with some odd choices. lol

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like to recomend breeds not my own (because obviously I dont know all thier breed traits) but I do think a terrier would suit for agility- they have spunk, you can teach them to tug as a reward and they do amazing at agility so dont miss out on the that ring when you go to a show!!

And also see if you can do flyball with your dog (if there are any clubs in your area). Not biased or anything :) but it is also a really fun sport!

Cool a show this weekend. How do I find out which breeds are doing shown Friday and Saturday night.

They are All-Breeds shows, so all of the breeds you mentioned should be there.

Fox Terriers are in the Terrier group (Group 2).

Irish Wolfhounds are in the Hound group (Group 4).

Kelpies are in the Working Dogs group (Group 5).

Dobes are in the Utility group (Group 6).

Each group is judged in a seperate ring, with all breeds in the group being judged in alphabetical order.

Hope this helps :)

Awesome, thanks heaps for that info, including what dog goes in which group. I wasn't sure about those details either.

Bugger I knew there was another question, what time does it start? Does the CCCQ website have all this info on it or is there another site I should be visiting as well?

I'm definitely going either the Friday or Saturday night.

Awesome, thanks heaps for that info, including what dog goes in which group. I wasn't sure about those details either.

Bugger I knew there was another question, what time does it start? Does the CCCQ website have all this info on it or is there another site I should be visiting as well?

I'm definitely going either the Friday or Saturday night.

The schedules are usually available on the CCCQ website here: http://www.cccq.org.au/shows.html

The shows commence at 5:30pm both days.

The two dogs I have are a 14 year old Kelpie X and a 10 year old mini foxy. I did have another mini foxy in the mix but unfortunately he died from snake bite some years ago.

Sorry to hear about your MF, I have a Tentie which is almost identical to a MF and they certainly worm their way into your heart!

I do think a Kelpie is a good recommendation and sounds ideal.

If you want something a bit smaller and a bit more unusual have a look at the Manchester Terrier, their are a few around doing well in agility, I'm planning to do agility with my girl, she is motivated by food, toys, and praise, and is willing to please. They aren't really as 'terrier like' as other terriers, not too much of a size difference between a MT and a Smooth Fox Terrier. The MT may be a more suitable size for living with your MF because they are smaller. They have a smooth short single coat (shorter than a Mini Foxie).

I don't usually recommend them but your situation sounds ideal and you have great breeders on your doorstep.

There are good MT breeders in QLD who wouldn't mind you meeting their dogs, my girl came from QLD.

Hello,

I just wanted to suggest the Australian shepherd, they are a beautiful breed and are absolutely amazing agility dogs. I dog to a club here in France with a lot of Aussies and they take my breath away!

I am a leonberger mum so i don't know the ins and out of the breed but if anything could steal my heart away from my loyal lions it would be an Aussie!

Jay

Edited by queenslander

I have dobermanns so Im biased :) but what I can say about the breed is that they are VERY smart. Alot smarter then people ever think they are. And that makes them easy to train but also they can easily learn bad behaviours.

Also they dont do so well in hot temperatures if you get a black one. They dont do that well in the clod either because of the short coat.

But they are tip top loyal, great guad dogs (wich can be a pain sometimes for some people) and atm I wouldnt change the breed. To me they are stunning royal looking traineable smart dogs.

Cool a show this weekend. How do I find out which breeds are doing shown Friday and Saturday night. I've been to the CCCQ website but it's not all that user friendly. I might just be a little slow though. ;)

I'm going to have to have a look at these Finnish dogs. Although to be honest I prefer a short coat dog, except in the case of the I.W. But I'm thinking their coat would be easier to care for than a F.L?

That's great info re: the lady with the leg and her dog.

I love all four breeds so am keeping an open mind. I think I'm more likely to come across that certain dog that steals my heart rather than a particular breed if that makes any sense?

Thanks again all, I do appreciate your help. :)

Any short coated breed is of course easier to manage... Plus if you're in a high tick area (I don't know what the tick status is like up there) I would go the short coated breeds. The problem with the lapphunds is they are a spitz breed, so of course they have an independent streak and are more challenging to train than say a kelpie.

I disagree with that - having had both, I would say that it depends on the personality of the dog. My kelpie girl was far more stubborn than my lappies, would never walk beside me on the lead unless she was completely buggered. I'd say both breeds were easy to train, but my kelpie had a lot more drive.

I like the longer coat too, as I'm not constantly picking up dog hair - just the twice of year coat blow. A 10min - 20min brush once a week is usually all I need for my lappies. If they are blowing coat, I wash them and then blow it all out/rack it out.

Although it says NSW, that doesn't stand for the State but rather Not Sure Which, as in I'm not sure which dog is the right one for me.

The four I have an interest in are Smooth coated Fox Terriers, Dobie, Kelpie and Irish Wolfhound.

What I'd like to do with the dogs is Obedience and also agility. The agility might count out the I.W but not knowing enough about the breed I could be wrong. ;)

I have plenty of land to run a dog on, good fencing, work from home so the dog will have company. I do have two dogs currently so the prospective newcomer will have other doggie company.

I'm not interested in showing or breeding but do want to compete with agility. Are there obedience comps? If so, that to.

I'm not particularly active however my old girl is a Kelpie X so has been ball mad her whole life (14yrs old) and we still play ball each day. However, there will be no cross country marathons run with the dog, nor two hour walking treks etc.

Hopefully if the doggie enjoys car rides he or she will come with me when I go out and about doing my thing. Only one of my dogs comes with me atm as the other hates the car.

I'm not sure what other information I should provide in order for people to perhaps provide some advice, feedback etc.

Would the shows at Durack be the best place to go and see these breeds and talk to prospective breeders? Or would I be better off going to an agility club and speaking to breeders there? I've never had purebred dogs before so unsure what the deal is.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :eek:

Btw I'm in no hurry to purchase another dog.

Yes there are obedience trials (comps). I went to agility training with my 1st border collie, & due to her temperament & my inability to be able to remember the agility courses set, I never trialled her. I know, some of you are going to say all the equipment is numbered, but I still found it hard to remember/find where each number was as the ones making the courses liked to make them tricky. :)

I did do obedience and club agility many many years ago with the Kelpie X and loved it, as did she. However at the time I was told I could not compete with her as she wasn't a papered dog. Then due to a change in jobs I wasn't able to attend any obedience or agility. So did some work with my girl at home, kept her busy etc. But I never got a chance to get into the agility which we both loved.

Lifestyle change again means I now work from home, have the time to put into a new dog. Go to obedience and agility training.

I have a laid back personality but I don't allow my dogs to do as they please. It's not in their best interests or mine.

Other than the Finnish, maybe there is something else more suitable.

I took the two select a pet tests and they came up with some odd choices. lol

If you are open to other breeds, then you have described the perfect home for a Border Collie. The ultimate agility dog, easy to train, great house dogs, love to be with their owner, readily available, easy care long coat, very healthy breed. Price should be around $1000 for a puppy from parents with hip/elbow scores and three sets of DNA results for hereditary diseases.

while we're showing agility comp videos... :(

here are 2 of pepe's runs (my staffy x i mentioned earlier),

festival of agility "top 40 run off" for agility dog of the year in NSW (you need to be invited by doing well in regional qualifying heats throughout the year) where he came 3rd behind a koolie x and a border x kelpie (considering they are much bigger than him i think he did well! (and he was only beaten by just over a second)

masters agility in coffs harbour, second place behind a kooliex

there are many more videos of him on there, he tends to place 1st more often in jumping because our contacts are still a bit slow.

(excuse my taking over the thread but i just wanted to show ou how good terrers can be)