Which Dog For Me?

NotSureWhich

Although it says NSW, that doesn't stand for the State but rather Not Sure Which, as in I'm not sure which dog is the right one for me.

The four I have an interest in are Smooth coated Fox Terriers, Dobie, Kelpie and Irish Wolfhound.

What I'd like to do with the dogs is Obedience and also agility. The agility might count out the I.W but not knowing enough about the breed I could be wrong. :mad

I have plenty of land to run a dog on, good fencing, work from home so the dog will have company. I do have two dogs currently so the prospective newcomer will have other doggie company.

I'm not interested in showing or breeding but do want to compete with agility. Are there obedience comps? If so, that to.

I'm not particularly active however my old girl is a Kelpie X so has been ball mad her whole life (14yrs old) and we still play ball each day. However, there will be no cross country marathons run with the dog, nor two hour walking treks etc.

Hopefully if the doggie enjoys car rides he or she will come with me when I go out and about doing my thing. Only one of my dogs comes with me atm as the other hates the car.

I'm not sure what other information I should provide in order for people to perhaps provide some advice, feedback etc.

Would the shows at Durack be the best place to go and see these breeds and talk to prospective breeders? Or would I be better off going to an agility club and speaking to breeders there? I've never had purebred dogs before so unsure what the deal is.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :(

Btw I'm in no hurry to purchase another dog.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive never had any of those breeds but certainly the kelpies stand out at dog training

gosh that eye contact is inspiring

if you have the time to be engaged with them cos theyre pretty full on then get a beautiful kelpie

i saw one that had a blue-ish cast once...gosh it was a stunning dog but of course temperament wins over markings and colour

sighthounds...yes they have been known to do agility but you really dont see them...youd have to put lots more effort into them and probably will never reach the standard of the kelpie

the terriers would be ok...size wise theyre fine..can be stubborn though and have poor recall

kelpie...really i think is your choice unless your go for something more exotic like the kooli

theyre a good breed for agility and come in nice colours

Out of your 4 preferences, Kelpies and Dobermanns are well suited to dog sports. Kelpies, being smaller and more manouvrable, would be more suited to agility but there are some Dobies around too. Fox Terriers can be good at dog sports, though being a terrier may be different to train than a Kelpie or Dobie.

I compete in agility with a Staffy x and a greyhound x. The staffy matches and often beats any kelpies that compete in masters with us, he is extremely driven whilst the greyhound x is not as motivated. What I'm trying to get to is that terriers can be just as good as kelpies and any other breed, it depends on the individuals and how they are raised. Having said that, if you want to get really competitive in agility you would probably be more likely to get a driven, fast kelpie than any of the other breeds you mentioned. I suggest going to some trials, maybe finding some agility vids on YouTube and talking to the owners about their experiences etc. Going to breed shows would also be beneficial so you can get more of an idea which of the breeds you prefer. If you're not going to be very competitive in agility thN I wouldn't worry about the breed's suitability for agility as most breeds can do agility to some degree. Just remember most kelpies are active and need daily mental and physical stimulation.

If I were looking for a serious agility and obedience prospect, the breeds I'd be seriously considering are Border Collies, Australian Shepherds and Kelpies. And I'd research thoroughly the lines of those breeds that are producing the top winning prospects at the moment and in the past, and narrow it down to not just a breed, but a bloodline within a breed.

With all three breeds you could also look at competitive herding if that takes your fancy, as all three breeds excel at it.

Would the shows at Durack be the best place to go and see these breeds and talk to prospective breeders? Or would I be better off going to an agility club and speaking to breeders there? I've never had purebred dogs before so unsure what the deal is.

Go to both. You'll get a more rounded view of the competitive dog world that way and talk to a broader bunch of breeders, handlers and owners.

Edited by GayleK

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice, they are much appreciated. :(:mad

I'd like to get competitive with the agility, in saying that though I'm not too fast on my feet so not sure if that would let down the team.

Maybe I need something that doesn't run very quickly. :(

Ok, looks like my next part of the research is sussing out when a show is on that has the dogs I'm interested in and checking out some trials.

Thanks once again everyone. Will let you know how I go... ;)

Ok, looks like my next part of the research is sussing out when a show is on that has the dogs I'm interested in and checking out some trials.

There are shows on at Durack this weekend - Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday morning :mad

You Lappie people are obsessed! :mad I'd never even heard of them until I started using this website. They must be awesome dogs to inspire all that enthusiasm. I hope I meet one of them one day. They look really beautiful in the photos.

Yes I agree with the other replies that (from your list) Kelpies are great. They are fast, but if you think about it you see working kelpies working to command at a long distance from their handler every time you watch a kelpie working sheep. So if you're a bit slower on your feet then I'm guessing you need to train your dog to work well to voice commands at a distance. Kelpies should be well-suited to that kind of training. You'll need to be smarter, not faster. In the end most dogs can outrun their handlers so don't let that stop you.

Aussie shepherds also great - and so pretty! I think it will also depend which breed steals your heart.

Good luck!

I'd like to get competitive with the agility, in saying that though I'm not too fast on my feet so not sure if that would let down the team.

There is a lady who competes in agility in Victoria who has an artificial leg. She uses a different technique to most in that she doesn't move too much, but has taught her dog to run like the wind while it's watching her hand signals. She is a case in point that anyone who is determined enough can do agility with their dog.

Cool a show this weekend. How do I find out which breeds are doing shown Friday and Saturday night. I've been to the CCCQ website but it's not all that user friendly. I might just be a little slow though. :(

I'm going to have to have a look at these Finnish dogs. Although to be honest I prefer a short coat dog, except in the case of the I.W. But I'm thinking their coat would be easier to care for than a F.L?

That's great info re: the lady with the leg and her dog.

I love all four breeds so am keeping an open mind. I think I'm more likely to come across that certain dog that steals my heart rather than a particular breed if that makes any sense?

Thanks again all, I do appreciate your help. :mad

Cool a show this weekend. How do I find out which breeds are doing shown Friday and Saturday night. I've been to the CCCQ website but it's not all that user friendly. I might just be a little slow though. :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to have a look at these Finnish dogs. Although to be honest I prefer a short coat dog, except in the case of the I.W. But I'm thinking their coat would be easier to care for than a F.L?

That's great info re: the lady with the leg and her dog.

I love all four breeds so am keeping an open mind. I think I'm more likely to come across that certain dog that steals my heart rather than a particular breed if that makes any sense?

Thanks again all, I do appreciate your help. :)

Any short coated breed is of course easier to manage... Plus if you're in a high tick area (I don't know what the tick status is like up there) I would go the short coated breeds. The problem with the lapphunds is they are a spitz breed, so of course they have an independent streak and are more challenging to train than say a kelpie.

Edited by TerraNik

As a first timer at agility perhaps it would be more fun to begin with a dog that you can keep up with. Although a kelpie makes a good agility dog you also have to train them to that point. Look at your whole life style, how much you want to train, your experience in training etc. It is possible to teach excelent distance work but you would have to do a fair amount of training and put in time outside of class etc to get the dog to that point.

I dont think a wolfie is the breed you want for agility- they dont mature until they are 2 or older (so no jumping) and they would be jumping so high I dont know how they would do. Dobs do quite well at agility and I quite like foxies- they have determination and spunk I also asume (havent done much research) that there would be breeders that would be able to pick a dog that can do dog sports for you.

The right Lappie could be a good agility dog however at this time I would not be recomending them for that purpose. There are no breeders that are really breeding for dog sports (but I am guessing that will change in the next few yrs!) and so there are only a few kennels with dogs with enough drive and get up and go to perform the task- overall I think that buying for dog sports would be a big gamble as you are as likely to get a full time couch potato as you are a dog willing to perform in the agility ring! They are a great dog to have around but you are particularly looking into competing in agility and this is MHO

Go the Kelpie. Mt Kelpie boy was great at obedience and had started agility, trust me, running is not on my resume, but he was learning the signals... and having a ball.

Sadly, we lost him to 1080 when he was 18 months.

Irrespective of whether you live on land or not, personally I would steer clear of a high activity dog as they will want you to be active with them. I would also consider your personality type as well as the dog breed. Eg. Knowing Dobes as I do (former owner), they are best with someone who is equally as strong minded as them and someone very clear and particular in their training style and expectations. Hint - these guys have their own view of the world.

Another consideration are your current two dogs. You mention an older dog, but what breed/type is the other? The way some dogs play and interact is vastly different to others. My Collie has quite a few staffy x buddies and while they all get along well, she is often used as a chew toy or a body slam partner, which is not in her nature. But when she gets together with herding type dogs, they all play quite similarly and have a wow of a time.

That being said, all those dogs sound up to the job you are looking for, just a matter of narrowing down your criteria I guess. Happy choosing.