Chicken Pet Mince

SeeGee

Hi all, reading all the feeding topics I've come up a little confused. We normally feed a mixture of dry and chicken necks/sardines/RMB type of meal (alternating, not all at once LOL), but my mum bought over 2 kgs of chicken pet mince - it was on special and she thought she'd grab some for Charlie.

I thought of getting some raw veges - carrot, pumpkin, zucchini, and chopping them up, and mixing it with the mince - but how much per serve? He gets fed twice a day. i dont want to over or under feed him and I get confused as to whats needed - chicken necks, bones, sardines portions are easy, I get that just fine.......this makes my head hurt :-)

I've never been into pet mince much, doesnt really give him alot to *chew* on and it always seems so watery....anyway, it was free for me, mum thought she was doing me a favour (my mum loves her grandpuppy) and I'd like to utilise it in a healthy way for my little man. I have no problems prepping food, spending time in the kitchen to get it ready, so if anyone has any ideas, or feedback, please let me know!

BTW, Charlie is a 8.5 month old male desexed beagle.

Thanks for helping me!

Jacqui

We use human grade chicken frames, minced, which we buy from Lenards on the Sunshine Coast @ $1.25/kg, buy one kg, get one free. :thumbsup:

We found the chicken pet mince goes stinky :thumbsup:

To this we add, the vegetable V8 juice (much easier than cooking up veges and pulverising them); natural yoghurt; pasta or rice; apple cider vinegar; garlic granules and either linseed or livamol.

PS Woolworth's have their own brand of the vegetable juice, works out much cheaper than the original V8

Edited by Hesapandabear

Chicken pet mince on special is ok once in awhile, but until you're sure it isn't a gross mixture of chicken fat, skins, guts, and bones, perhaps gone a little rancid, I wouldn't make a habit of feeding the stuff. Ask them what, exactly, they grind up to make 'pet mince'.

Edited by sandgrubber

Chicken pet mince on special is ok once in awhile, but until you're sure it isn't a gross mixture of chicken fat, skins, guts, and bones, perhaps gone a little rancid, I wouldn't make a habit of feeding the stuff. Ask them what, exactly, they grind up to make 'pet mince'.

Yes, I would ask also. Some have very little meat content.

Also from experience take care feeding mined frames alone they need to be bulked out as the slivers of bone have cut the insides of a young foster here and we lost the little dog. She was all ready to go to a new home and we knew she was healthy and vaccinated etc but upon a post mortem we found that she had all these cuts and the only thing that the vet could put it down to was the mince. People I know mix it with roo meat rice dry and accasionally tin food. I aviod it and feed necks to smaller ones and frames to the bigger ones.

There is nothing wrong with chicken skin, guts or bones..

The Lenards mince is carcases and all the off cuts minced.

It is free of preservatives so it does need to be used straight away or frozen.