Woman Mauled

PuggaWuggles

Woman, 85, mauled by dogs - http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...502-952,00.html

AN 85-year-old woman has bite wounds on her head after she was attacked by a pack of vicious dogs at a property in the Sunshine Coast hinterland.

The attack occurred about 10.30am at the property at Glass House Mountains.

A Department of Community Safety spokesman said the woman suffered bites to the head and was taken to the Caloundra Hospital in a stable condition.

Police were called to assist ambulance and council officers, and one dog has been destroyed.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel very sorry for the lady but obviously they were not "pitbulls" as the breed of the dogs were not mentioned....all that was said was that an investigation was being held to determine the dogs breed....I hope they work it out soon

So terribly sad. I hope the poor woman recovers completely.

The evening news claimed the dogs were pitbulls.

I find this rather strange. Every pitbull in Queensland has either been euthanased over the past several years, or is living as a dangerous dog, in an enclosure, muzzled in public, depending on the council area,.

So, how can there be pitbulls at Glasshosue, at large and attacking people?

I especially worry about things like this happening to elderly people. Even if they heal from the wounds, at that age such a shock can be the catalyst of a rapid decline.

Absolutly it can shorten the lifespan faster than someone in the prime of there life :) I do hope she makes a recovery but i dont like her chances much.

I find this rather strange. Every pitbull in Queensland has either been euthanased over the past several years, or is living as a dangerous dog, in an enclosure, muzzled in public, depending on the council area,.

You can't seriously believe what you just wrote can you? I know that is theoretically what would have been. but the laws cant prohibit dogs in reality.

I dont meant to sound negative but the Pit bull laws a farce no matter what council it is anywhere in australia not just Qld.

They are everywhere, no matter how blood thirsty and cruel a council might be.

I especially worry about things like this happening to elderly people. Even if they heal from the wounds, at that age such a shock can be the catalyst of a rapid decline.

Absolutly it can shorten the lifespan faster than someone in the prime of there life :cry: I do hope she makes a recovery but i dont like her chances much.

You can't seriously believe what you just wrote can you? I know that is theoretically what would have been. but the laws cant prohibit dogs in reality.

I dont meant to sound negative but the Pit bull laws a farce no matter what council it is anywhere in australia not just Qld.

They are everywhere, no matter how blood thirsty and cruel a council might be.

10,000 dogs were killed as pitbulls or crosses in the 12 - 18 months following legislation in Queensland. That's a fairly conservative estimate, by the way. After the first 12 - 18 months, I estimate another 10,000 were killed. As most councils weren't prepared to release figures, the figures available were extrapolated council by council, depending on population size comparied to the average number of pets in a population area. One smaller semi rural council was killing 20 dogs a day over a 6 month period.

Some councils allowed dogs which were already resident and registered as pitbulls in the shire to live, burt they were the minority.

So, there were 20,000 (probably more like 30,000)dogs killed. The others are classed as dangerous dogs, and are kept accordingly.

Why, then are two unrestrained pitbulls, not being kept as dangerous dogs, in cages, with muzzles on in public, at large in a suburban street in Glasshouse, attacking the neighours? Maybe they were kept as dangerous dogs, and chewed through the weldmesh of their cages to escape and attack?

Due to prompt action by the government and councils, the pit bull menace in Queensland has been completely eradicated, so this cannot be. 30,000 dead dogs prove it. Of course, the question is whether there were 30,000 pitbulls or crosses to begin with. And, of course, the killing continues. Jusrt not on the same scale.

So, this attack cannot be.

Because the government said that killing all the pitbulls would ensure the citizens were safe. And it must be so, as the government took action to protect the citizens. Besides, the government said....

Do you actually know what happened in Queensland, Gecko Tree? I don't remember seeing you around, so I doubt it. :(

Yes I do know exactly whats been going on and what has happened over the years.

I also know that

people deliberatly mis label the breed to avoid the laws.

people openly advertise APBT's on the internet fo sale in Qld

The dogs are very much around, I know 3 people with them, and all 3 come from the same breeder who is renowed for internet promotion, and is even a member on this site(or was)

A&S

The dogs exist even in a state such as Qld, and they all ways will.

They are a popular dog.

They cant be bred out, or exterminated, no matter what the carnage may have been.

This is awful, poor woman. I'm afraid the dog they showed on the news, not the one they shot, another one, was definately either a pitbull or amstaff. it was really waggy and friendly :cry: A brown colour. We are in QLD and have 2 pitbulls in our street, I'm aquainted with the owners as a couple of times they've got out and I've returned them, so I know their breed. There are obviously dogs in QLD, how do you prevent ALL of the breed, it's silly.

You're not alowed bunnies here either, but I know lots of people who bring their pets from interstate.(another silly rule!)

An update on this with a longer article on the Courier Main website.

Sensible comments from RSPCA, less than sensible comments from Desley Boyle MP, Local Government Minister (but I wouldn't have expected any better from a pollie). But scroll down to read the comments section. Lots of support for the responsibility being placed on the owners and an clear understanding from the people that any dog can bite etc.

My understanding is that the APBT and crosses are not banned in this local government area...so hence they are permitted to be kept. They may be a restricted breed, but each LGA in QLD has the ability to allow them to be kept and may impose additional conditions on the owners who keep them.

I feel so sorry for the elderly woman who has had her life changed as a result of an irresponsible dog owner. No dog should be roaming into anyone's front yard. :rofl:

The report I read stated that Police had shot one of the dogs on site as neither dog was allowing paramedics onto the property to help the victim. The second dog was removed by council officers and is being held in the pound.

Am I correct in thinking that the American Staffy is the same breed as the APBT? Some say they are not the same, and some say they are one and the same. All I can say is that they look to my untrained eye the same breed. Is this a way to have them legalised? It's interesting to note that at my local park, all of a sudden, there were three separate owners, without any connections, coming to the park with young puppies. We were told they were American Staffies. On one particular day, one of the pups tried to play with the visiting different breed 'teenage' pups, and every single 'teenager' growled and refused to play with this pup. I know a lot has to do with the way the pup is brought up by the owner, but I get very nervous if they are not properly trained and educated. Several years ago, a house behind where we live was being rented out to tenants with two of these dogs. We had a Great Dane at that time, and those two behind us were literally throwing themselves at and charging the fence to get at the Dane. It was really frightening. My boy was really a gentle giant.

According to the owner, the dogs were Amstaffs.

No, not the same breed. You will have to delve into the histories of both breeds to find the difference two doggies. What do you want to have legalised?

lillysmum

My understanding is that the APBT and crosses are not banned in this local government area...so hence they are permitted to be kept

You are in Brisbane City Council area, I believe? That is good to know.

Gecko Tree, apparently you live on the wild side of the law, where rabbits, ferrets and pit bulls abound

whatever breed the dogs were, they were uncontrolled, untrained, and uncontained, and probably savage, and they did a terrible thing.

The owners should be fined. They have also done another terrible thing to pitbulls. When will people learn there is no place in society for dogs like this? It was the partly the action of a similar criminally stupid owner which allowed the Qld Gov to legislate bans.

When will these stupid people learn?

A woman has been mauled, one dog has died, and another will die. Because of stupidity.

Edited by Jed

Am I correct in thinking that the American Staffy is the same breed as the APBT? Some say they are not the same, and some say they are one and the same. All I can say is that they look to my untrained eye the same breed. Is this a way to have them legalised? It's interesting to note that at my local park, all of a sudden, there were three separate owners, without any connections, coming to the park with young puppies. We were told they were American Staffies. On one particular day, one of the pups tried to play with the visiting different breed 'teenage' pups, and every single 'teenager' growled and refused to play with this pup. I know a lot has to do with the way the pup is brought up by the owner, but I get very nervous if they are not properly trained and educated. Several years ago, a house behind where we live was being rented out to tenants with two of these dogs. We had a Great Dane at that time, and those two behind us were literally throwing themselves at and charging the fence to get at the Dane. It was really frightening. My boy was really a gentle giant.

The two in my street(ptibulls) do the same thing when they 'visit' our house, they throw themselves at our doors and windows because our dogs are inside. Silly thing is that I can go and get them and take them home, they are really friendly with people. We are not allowed them here.

I'm not sure of the differences, I knw several people with lovely AMstaffs who seem to think there is not much difference or indeed any difference but I don't know much about bull breeds at all. The Amstaffs I know do tacking and agility and live with toddlers. They are very sweet.

No, not the same breed. You will have to delve into the histories of both breeds to find the difference two doggies. What do you want to have legalised?

lillysmum

My understanding is that the APBT and crosses are not banned in this local government area...so hence they are permitted to be kept

Gecko Tree, apparently you live on the wild side of the law, where rabbits, ferrets and pit bulls abound

whatever breed the dogs were, they were uncontrolled, untrained, and uncontained, and probably savage, and they did a terrible thing.

The owners should be fined. They have also done another terrible thing to pitbulls. When will people learn there is no place in society for dogs like this? It was the partly the action of a similar criminally stupid owner which allowed the Qld Gov to legislate bans.

A woman has been mauled, one dog has died, and another will die. Because of stupidity.

Jed, I my question was, are these dogs called American Staffs and NOT APBT so they can legally be kept. I have a feeling that in Victoria, APBT are supposed to be sterilised, do that the breed will eventually die out.

lillysmum

Jed, I my question was, are these dogs called American Staffs and NOT APBT so they can legally be kept. I have a feeling that in Victoria, APBT are supposed to be sterilised, do that the breed will eventually die out.

I have no idea. The owner of the dogs involved in the attack stated that the dogs were American Staffordshires. Who knows what they were, and the owners may have been calling them Amstaffs so they could keep them, but they may in fact have been Amstaffs. The breed is not what did the attack, it was lack of training, and lack of containment. And probably bad temperament, and bad breeding. Maybe all of those things.

One council in Qld banned both pit bulls and APBT because they couldn't tell the difference.

The big flaw in the law is that it is almost impossible to tell whether a dog is an APBT or a cross or not, or simply a big brown dog, as has been tested in court.

The thinking behind the laws in all states, even when the dogs are not destroyed, is that they cannot be bred with, and yes, the breed will die out - genocide.

Much better for existing laws to be enforced, about dogs having to be contained. It would help too, if stupid people didn't own dogs. In the case of these 2 dogs, they had been barking a lot, and trying to get out. Sounds as if they had recently moved into the area, the dogs would not have known exactly where their territory was, and perhaps perceived the woman next door as a threat to their territory. Maybe they just were savage buggers too, but I would go for the first option. the owners should have realised what was happening, and taken steps to prevent the dogs escaping.

Any big strong dog is capable of doing a lot of damage. It is the responsibility of the owner to contain and control the dog, so no damage is done.

• 1 month later...
THE owners of two illegal pitbull dogs which attacked an elderly Sunshine Coast woman are expected to be charged by the Sunshine Coast Regional Council.

With Maud Isaak, 84, still recovering from her injuries almost a month after the terrifying mauling in her Glass House Mountains yard, the council said legal action was required under the new Animal Management Act for anyone keeping a dog which caused injuries.

"We have no other option but to go down the legal path," said council response services manager Ron Thomas, adding that the dogs' owners faced a maximum $15,000 fine if found directly responsible for the incident.

He said investigations and veterinary checks had confirmed the two dogs were unregistered, illegal pitbulls which had been living next to Ms Isaak for six weeks before the attack on January 29.

This also made the owners liable to on-the-spot fines for failing to register the animals and keeping a restricted breed.

While one dog, Marley, was shot by police at the scene, the second – called Choco – was put down after its owner signed it over to the council.

Mr Thomas said council officers would interview Ms Isaak tomorrow to finalise the investigation. She was released from hospital last week and one of her sons, Frank Isaak, said yesterday she was "doing okay".

One of Ms Isaak's oldest friends, Bill Peterson, of Morayfield, said she had lived in fear of the dogs since they moved next door and had even asked him to put up a dog-proof fence around her house before Christmas.

"Sadly, I never got the fence up in time," Mr Peterson said, adding that Ms Isaak had been lucky to escape with her life.

"She was hanging out washing close the laundry when it happened.

"If she had been at the bottom of the yard, she would have been killed because one of the dogs had her by the eye and around her head.

"It ripped the corner of her eye and her leg was pretty chewed up as well. She might not even be able to drive again."

The council is now planning a major campaign targeting the 10,000 pet owners who failed to re-register their dogs in the last year.

Oh, nasty.

The council is now planning a major campaign targeting the 10,000 pet owners who failed to re-register their dogs in the last year.

Maybe the council can explain how paying a registration fee will prevent dogs attacking? Will they know they are registered, and think "oh, I'd better not bite anyone, I'm registered".

Lillysmum

Are you in BCC?

If so, I suggest you check the local laws again.

Edited by Jed