Dog Limit Laws Coming In Australia Wide. Update Info

Christina

Update post 31. Good news & a council with common sense. :)

Its starting & not good news for breeders.

Having had a council permit for 5 dogs for many years in the metro area a few years ago I did my lifestyle change.

Found a dog friendly rural council, which I checked out & spoke to the council before moving here.

New rules are proposed. 2 dogs in the township & only 3 dogs outside the township.

This is a council area where people live on anything from a large block to 1000's of acres, sparsely populated & council used their common sense in the number of dogs permitted per property. People come here for a relaxed country lifestyle & a small area is a designated animal husbandry zone for horses & dogs.

On further enquiry as to the reason for this proposal I was told it was on instructions for a nationwide blanket rule all over Australia instigated by the RSPCA who are asking all councils to enforce this rule.

Small hobby breeders with a small number of dogs will be a thing of the past. Large puppy farms will thrive in the small kennel zones & the honest breeders who can afford to live there.

When this is proposed for your council area please take notice.

If you live in the Mallala Council area in South Australia please put your objection in before mid February.

This is going to happen everywhere.

Edited by Christina

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, let the council know. I'd let the minister know too.

RSPCA got busted big time over "there is an over supply of pets". Even the AVA busted them in 2006 - the figures tell the story, and pet ownership is actually declining.

So now they are on the puppy farm bandwagon. You can only have 2 dogs in case you are a puppy farm

If we don't ALL protest these encroachments into dog ownership, we wont be able to keep dogs.

Go for it!! :eek:

Elections are happening this year.

Don't anyone forget it.

Find out from your local members (both current and future) what their take is on these sort of subjects. And take that into account when you place your Vote.

It's already here :cry:

Same... we've had limits for a long time. I just got an exemption from my council.

Disgusting that puppy farmers are given the :eek: and genuine breeders are going to be hindered.

Yep it's here and as some of you know when I had a whinge in the WA thread, my local council won't even offer you the chance to apply for an additional dog. It's flat out 2 dogs only, tough biccies, big middle finger to us, yada yada. Grrrr!!!! :clap:

Yep it's here and as some of you know when I had a whinge in the WA thread, my local council won't even offer you the chance to apply for an additional dog. It's flat out 2 dogs only, tough biccies, big middle finger to us, yada yada. Grrrr!!!! :eek:

I thought about you today RubyStar as the Gosnells ranger drove past me on the freeway. He looked really smug. :clap:: I think it's time for you to move!

Yep it's here and as some of you know when I had a whinge in the WA thread, my local council won't even offer you the chance to apply for an additional dog. It's flat out 2 dogs only, tough biccies, big middle finger to us, yada yada. Grrrr!!!! :clap:

I thought about you today RubyStar as the Gosnells ranger drove past me on the freeway. He looked really smug. :cry:: I think it's time for you to move!

:eek: Smug CoG ranger b*stards!

I only moved into my house a week ago, I don't think moving is on the cards just yet! When I'm ready for my third dog, I will probably be ready to move so I will move to a council that aren't run by smug morons!!

Enforcing it is going to be another thing! Remember the lady who was on RSPCA Rescue a few months back with over 100 breeding dogs in a shed? Well I think RSPCA seized about half a dozen, and she surrendered about the same again. I spoke to Council not long after and they know she still has around 120 dogs. What have they done about it? NOTHING. My friend lives 2 doors down and there have been cars there almost every day this week, and 3 ads in the local paper for 3 different breeds of pup for sale.

She is in a semi-rural subdivision, only on a smallish block (under 2 acres would be my guess).

Joke! (Not a very funny one). :D

Yep it's here and as some of you know when I had a whinge in the WA thread, my local council won't even offer you the chance to apply for an additional dog. It's flat out 2 dogs only, tough biccies, big middle finger to us, yada yada. Grrrr!!!! :D

I thought about you today RubyStar as the Gosnells ranger drove past me on the freeway. He looked really smug. :laugh:: I think it's time for you to move!

:D Smug CoG ranger b*stards!

I only moved into my house a week ago, I don't think moving is on the cards just yet! When I'm ready for my third dog, I will probably be ready to move so I will move to a council that aren't run by smug morons!!

Smug or not there will not be ANY council area you can move to. They want this everywhere.

My council are not smug or morons. They are very reasonable & approachable.

So I am hoping my voice will not be a lone & useless one.

quote (cant do buttons) no chance of a copy of the communication from the RSPCA?

Doubtful but I will try & find out.

I live in the same council area Christina and we moved there 12 months ago for the reasons you mentioned in you original post.

We attended the council consultations etc, noticed in the December minutes that the amendments that were put forward to change this amendment have not been supported by council. Ridiculous seeing as they are so proud on their animal husbandry area!!

It's already here :D

Same... we've had limits for a long time. I just got an exemption from my council.

Disgusting that puppy farmers are given the :D and genuine breeders are going to be hindered.

I'm pretty sure we have limits here as well, but you can apply for an exemption. It goes for dogs, and for cats. And the fee for exemption is pretty steep..

What the hell do they expect us to do with all our 'extra' dogs? Can you imagine how scarce purebred puppies are going to become? The cost of purchasing a purbred dog is going to go through the roof. Yet the morons who let their pet dog have litter after litter are going to profit even more, as they will keep one male and one female dog and breed them together continually. This law does not make sense at all.

Is this two dog blanket rule meant to mean no extra dog permits? This is what I'm hearing, in which case this will affect breeders, rescue, show and performance people. Since most people in any of those areas have at least 3 dogs. It really is ridiculous.

It's already here :D

Disgusting that puppy farmers are given the :D and genuine breeders are going to be hindered.

I'm pretty sure we have limits here as well, but you can apply for an exemption. It goes for dogs, and for cats. And the fee for exemption is pretty steep..

The app fee was $55.