Dogs Attaked Their Owner

GSDowner

err they were due for euthanasia because they had already attacked someone

just because you own a dog and feed it means you are immune from being attacked. He owned a pack of aggressive giant dogs and from the start obviously had no control over them. Waiting to happen.

ETA why does a dog have to be damaged psychologically. You own a large, guarding or hunting breed and don't control it, they usually will bully or bite you. The quality of dogs in Europe when it comes to their working instinct far surpasses what we have here in Australia. His dogs formed a pack, showed aggression and instead of being smart and at LEAST trying to get help controlling them obviously he went back to old habits and paid the price.

Edited by Nekhbet

The fact that he owned the dogs doesn't necessarily mean that he had a social bond with them, especially after so long apart.

As others have said, lots of factors could have kicked in... and three dogs is a pack. I wonder if all three were involved in the owner's death.

Actually, majority of dogs allowed to form a pack and uncontrolled will exhibit territoriality, some aggressive responses and wild behavior. It is a predator, I think we become a little jaded these days thinking that all dogs need is love and a few treats and they will love you unconditionally back. OK True for some softer breeds but others will steamroll over you

Being from Ljubljana he probably had them as guard dogs too and thought the behavior was useful

a rational animal

Dogs aren't rational-

they act as dogs, not humans who can reason and think things through to a high level.

An owner- who feeds and cares for a dog may not be the person the dog RESPECTS.

Feeding a dog and having interaction with it is no immunity to being attacked.

Having the dog respecting an owner is helpful....not FEARING, not avoiding, but respecting.

Dogs in a pack, with no definitive human leadership, will challenge. Simple. It's what dogs do.

Edited by persephone

Thats right dogs are not rational, they act and react instinctively and emotionally only - Thats why we love them so much, dogs dont lie, dogs are always honest.

There are many possible reasons, my theory is probably one of the dogs was more aggressive than the others for whatever reason, and that one dogs actions would spur on the others instinctively, they then feed off each other and a small incident can turn into a frenzied attack. Having been locked away for so long the bond with the owner was weakened, they may have taken a hit to thier tempermant bieng in confinement so long, perhaps become a bit neaurotic, ect.

Edited by Lo Pan

GSDowner I agree with the others as to this attack, its probably a variety of reasons, but some dogs can attack their owner if they are 'surprised' or 'stressed'.

I read a very interesting book a couple of years ago, the author investigated a variety of international studies on dog behavioural problems.

One conclusion is some dog breeds which are bred to react quickly to stimulae (such as guard dogs) which are bred to such a fine point that it may backfire and they can actually attack the owner. In one case a man was attacked when he stepped over his sleeping pitbull. Something trigged this dog and he attacked.

It becomes a breeding problem and probably these lines should not be bred from, but with a demand for 'tough' dogs and BYB I can't see it happening.

which are bred to such a fine point that it may backfire and they can actually attack the owner.

No that is weak nerve. Baaaaaaad breeding.

Something trigged this dog and he attacked.

ahh good old lack of details ... weak nerve, poor training (or attack training an innapropriate breed)

I don't understand why a rational animal would attack their owner who cares for them

Unless... they were not treated humanely? But then like people maybe there are dogs with mental illness? Please help me make sense out of it

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/...article1454280/

My sister lost her beloved male stafford to a brown snake and just could not bear it, so went out and bought the first male pup (that looked like Pappy) that she could find...

Buddy was a cute puppy but by the age of about 20 weeks, he was shaping up to her female stafford.. I mentioned that at his young age, I thought that was very unusual... The female put him in his place but by the time he was 9-10 months old, he was bigger than her and would not take it lying down. He attacked her and then she backed down...

They also had another pup (sharpei x mastiff, Tex) and Buddy used to beat up on him all the time... Very rough play to the point where the other dogs got hurt (a lot)..

Fast forward to when he is 14 months old and he bailed my sister up in the yard, so she finally had him desexed (I told her it may not make any difference to him and I think he has something wrong with him)...

3 months later, my niece was calling to her mother and Buddy had her cornered and growled at my sister when she tried to move him.. She called her husband and the vet and the dog was put down an hour later in their back yard...

To this very day I believe that Buddy had something wrong with him from the start.. He always walked around with his tail in the air, he would walk past you in the lounge room and look sideways at you and growl, he constantly hurt the other dogs and he always looked like he was ready to have a go at anyone or anything... I wished they had done an autopsy on him to see if he had a brain tumour or something because I really don't think a dog that is loved and cared for, just 'turns' on its owners for no reason...

Actually, majority of dogs allowed to form a pack and uncontrolled will exhibit territoriality, some aggressive responses and wild behavior. It is a predator, I think we become a little jaded these days thinking that all dogs need is love and a few treats and they will love you unconditionally back. OK True for some softer breeds but others will steamroll over you

Being from Ljubljana he probably had them as guard dogs too and thought the behavior was useful

I think this is also true for humans! Get a footy team or 'gang' together and they definately behave differently to being on their own :(

As much as we 'modern' humans think we understand nature, we really will NEVER know what really goes on in any animals brain, or understand the infinately many and small signals that we do not even see.