Endurance Test 2010

Kynan

Its not raining yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!going for a quick ride at castle hill (too wet everywhere else) then taking the dogs for a run........hopefully it wont rain in between me typing and getting to the front door

Finally stopped raining. Went for another little ride and run last night after completing construction of a family sized ark. So wet. looking better this morning.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Entries for the Adelaide Endurance Test are now open. Schedule is in the March DogsSA Magazine bottom of page 28 and on their website (see link below).

It is to be held at the German Shepherd Dog Club of SA (Pedigree Park, West Beach Road, West Beach) on Saturday 26th June 2010 commencing at 0830. Entries cost $12 and close 18th June 2010.

Adelaide Endurance Test Schedule

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have just completed the first 6 weeks of our training program and Kynan can now run 30 mins continuously beside the bike :) We have been training 4 times a week and have only missed one day. We even got up at 7am this morning and drove to the oval and then rode in the rain. Only 13 weeks to go.

How is everyone else going?

:) Kynan - maybe you could train Kenz for me next year :) .

Yep I could do that! We'll do a swap! I get Kenz her ET title and you get Kynan his CD :rofl:

Edited by Kynan

How is everyone else going?

Jedi's doing 25 minutes now... He's still loving it! I've been a bit slack with our training - only getting out about twice per week, but we are doing a lot of 'cross training' (aka flyball :) )

That's great TerraNik :rofl: Love the cross training idea!

We did 6kms today for the first time! Yay that is one leg of the ET, only two to go :D

I have been keeping a training diary and it is great to see how we are progressing. Seven weeks ago when we first started we were only doing 3 mins at a time running beside the bike and then walking for 5 mins. Now we can do 36 mins which I would never have thought possible. Also Kynan must be getting fitter as his heart rate was the lowest it has ever been immediately post exercise.

Edited by Kynan

That's great TerraNik :rofl: Love the cross training idea!

We did 6kms today for the first time! Yay that is one leg of the ET, only two to go :D

I have been keeping a training diary and it is great to see how we are progressing. Seven weeks ago when we first started we were only doing 3 mins at a time running beside the bike and then walking for 5 mins. Now we can do 36 mins which I would never have thought possible. Also Kynan must be getting fitter as his heart rate was the lowest it has ever been immediately post exercise.

Woohooo!! 6km! That's excellent!! Our max has been 3km, so we're halfway... It's perfect weather at the moment for him though - raining and 23 degrees!! I will be getting him out a lot this week!

That's great TerraNik :) Love the cross training idea!

We did 6kms today for the first time! Yay that is one leg of the ET, only two to go :rofl:

Hi guys,

I'm watching this thread with great interest as I might do this with my girl in a year or two. It's completely foreign to me though, so its a steep learning curve at the moment. Kynan, can I ask, your original 3 mins was that at the suggested 10kph? I would have thought previously (clearly I was WAY off the mark) that a dog could easily do that for 3mins. Is it the speed, the consistency or something else that makes it difficult for them?

My challenge will be getting to a safe training area to ride a bike with a dog as I live in an area with very busy roads. I'll probably have to buy one of those car roof attachments to drive to bike paths and forest tracks. Our Walkydog has already been ordered, but probably won't be used until next spring or summer.

SG

I guess it's the same as with humans - although someone might be *able* to run for 15 minutes straight, for example, when you're first starting fitness training or running, you don't want to jump straight into it or you'll get injuries... It's best to ease into it at a much lower distance than you could potentially do.

Plus, running along side a bike is a pretty foreign thing for most dogs, so a short positive session at the beginning is always a good opportunity to introduce the bike.

hey guys, whats the time frame for this event its like 2hrs or something isnt it. when running 1/2 marathons, we used to do like around the 1hr 35-40 min, im just trying to work out pace for myself on the bike

hey guys, whats the time frame for this event its like 2hrs or something isnt it. when running 1/2 marathons, we used to do like around the 1hr 35-40 min, im just trying to work out pace for myself on the bike

Aim for an average of 10km/hr.

Make sure you also train the dog to do slower and faster (up to 18km/hr) to compensate for various things such as if the dog needs to toilet you then have to catch up to the rest of the group and take up your previous position in the line.

thats fine. we are running about 12k cross country of a morning and that take us bout an hour, so he's going ok, just gotta get him used to being beside the bike more. and to drop that weight he put on when he was desexed. He did great sprint training this morning after a kangaroo:-)

Hi SmoothieGirl :eek: Here is some great info about the ET (Preparing Your Dog for an Endurance Test)

It's great that you are thinking of doing the ET in the future. I went along last year and just watched to get an idea of what it was all about and spoke to some of the people doing it to get some tips. If you can get along to watch one near you I would highly recommend it.

About 6 months ago Kynan couldn't even walk 10 mins without limping due to a leg injury. We started training really slowly so I could determine whether he was going to be able to cope with running long distances. Also I hadn't ridden a bike since I was a kid and suffer from arthritis so wasn't even sure if I would be able to cope with it either. We have followed the Couch to 5k program (which is available on the internet) but started at Week 3 as I knew he was capable of running for more than 1 min. With the program you still exercise for 30 mins but alternate running and walking and each week increasing the amount of running and decreasing the amount of walking until the dog is running 30mins continuously (took us 6 weeks to get up to that). As TerraNik said the slower you build the dog up the less chance of injury and/or long term damage. We are doing most of our training on an oval with bare minimum on hard surfaces (just enough to toughen his pads) and I found it quite difficult at first to ride on grass and I was hurting after 3 mins. Also it is a lot for the dog to get used to riding next to the bike in the correct position and learning left and right turns so it does tire them out mentally too at the start.

ETA we finish each session with a 200 meter sprint which we normally do at about 20kms but one day we did get up to 25kms when the grass had just been cut

Edited by Kynan

Kynan don't you get dizzy going round and round the oval :thumbsup:

I've already devoured your first reference, but I'll go off and find the Couch to 5km training schedule.

My Walkydog arrived tonight, so I've had fun reading all about that. Bronte has been quite sick this month with varying issues and is a couple of kilos underweight at the moment, so we won't be trying it out anytime soon as my first challenge is to put some body condition on her. Then we are tackling her Herding title. Given that I haven't been on my bike in two years, I think I need some practice too before I risk a bike and dog challenge.

Keep going peoples, this is a very motivational thread.

Hi there SmoothieGirl - if you want to watch an ET in progress there is usually one held at Cherry Lake, Altona, run by the GSD Club of Vic. There is one scheduled for the 26th June. I've done all of mine there. They're great fun to do.

I hope your Bronte gets better soon, poor thing.