Kynan

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

How is everyone going with their training? Only 8 weeks until the Adelaide test. I am enjoying training now that I don't have to get up so early as the weather is cooler. Found a new training place today 5 mins drive away that is great as there are lots of different surfaces. Is there anyone else in Adelaide that wants to meet at Pedigree Park next month to practise riding with other dogs?

Edited by Kynan

YEH ITS REALLY GOOD FOR THE DOGS NOW THAT ITS NOT SO HOT. MY 2 LOVE RUNNING NOW ITS COOLER .WE GO FOR UP TO HR AND A HALF IF IVE GOT A LATE START. IM NOT DOING ONE TILL NEXT YEAR SO WE STILL GOT HEAPS OF TIME

Hi there SmoothieGirl - if you want to watch an ET in progress there is usually one held at Cherry Lake, Altona, run by the GSD Club of Vic. There is one scheduled for the 26th June. I've done all of mine there. They're great fun to do.

I hope your Bronte gets better soon, poor thing.

Bronte's still in the wars with her allergies, but otherwise doing ok. She qualified for her Herding Test title last week, so she ain't doing too badly.

Unfortunately I'll be o/s at that time in June, but its something to keep in mind for next year.

Hi there SmoothieGirl - if you want to watch an ET in progress there is usually one held at Cherry Lake, Altona, run by the GSD Club of Vic. There is one scheduled for the 26th June. I've done all of mine there. They're great fun to do.

I hope your Bronte gets better soon, poor thing.

Bronte's still in the wars with her allergies, but otherwise doing ok. She qualified for her Herding Test title last week, so she ain't doing too badly.

Unfortunately I'll be o/s at that time in June, but its something to keep in mind for next year.

congrats on your HT. megs is doing hers this month coming

New milestone reached today. We did 10km this morning for the first time. Broke it down into two lots of 5km with a 15min break in between. My sister came with us on her bike and took Kynan's temp and heart rate and checked his paws which was good practise for the real thing. Kynan got very distracted having another bike riding with us so we need to do a lot of work on that.

Quick question...any additional advise would be great.

Training for the Perth ET, with only 7wks to go (we had a couple of hold ups on some weeks with the family comittments) we are comfortably doing 6-8km (does have a 1.5km hill incline) at 10km/hr with recovery (within 4mins of arriving home :( ) at Heart Rate 96 and temperature of 38.c

We train 3 days with the bike (no problems there) and 2 days fast pace walking.

For those out there who have done the ET (this is my first) does it appear we are doing OK, or with limited time will we need to step up the pace?

:) with 7yr old whippet in tow

Quick question...any additional advise would be great.

Training for the Perth ET, with only 7wks to go (we had a couple of hold ups on some weeks with the family comittments) we are comfortably doing 6-8km (does have a 1.5km hill incline) at 10km/hr with recovery (within 4mins of arriving home :( ) at Heart Rate 96 and temperature of 38.c

We train 3 days with the bike (no problems there) and 2 days fast pace walking.

For those out there who have done the ET (this is my first) does it appear we are doing OK, or with limited time will we need to step up the pace?

:) with 7yr old whippet in tow

Sounds like your dog is quite fit so you should be alright. If you increase by a km a week you will be doing 13-15km by test time which is probably the most you want to train to any way. This is my first ET too so I only know what's been working for my boy. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Jedi and I just got back from doing 6.5km! That's the farthest we've ever gone! :heart: Considering he was an unfit little guy when we first started (would tire out after doing 3 4-jump recalls at flyball!), he has come a long way! We have trouble going any faster than about 11.5km/hr so I'm going to work on that with him.

Yep - I would be working on getting the dogs (and you) comfortable at a bit faster pace - at least for some distance. Depending on the judge and the pace setter, you may need to be able to maintain up to about 12 or 13 kph for a while - should be in the first leg. So it's good to have trained for that. The plus side is that the pace may drop off in the later stages if the first leg has been done faster.

Oh -- and from my experience - it might be owrth training in the rain - at least once - if you get any rain. It's a different ball game for dogs and riders - I fell off when my boy did a particularly violent shake as we were riding into a sleety squall in our ET. :heart:

Yep - I would be working on getting the dogs (and you) comfortable at a bit faster pace - at least for some distance. Depending on the judge and the pace setter, you may need to be able to maintain up to about 12 or 13 kph for a while - should be in the first leg. So it's good to have trained for that. The plus side is that the pace may drop off in the later stages if the first leg has been done faster.

Oh -- and from my experience - it might be owrth training in the rain - at least once - if you get any rain. It's a different ball game for dogs and riders - I fell off when my boy did a particularly violent shake as we were riding into a sleety squall in our ET. :heart:

Thanks for the tips, Tassie!!

Sounds like your ET was delightful! :(

:laugh:

Yay TerraNik and Jedi! It is a great feeling when you look back and see how far you've come. Keep it up and you will have that ET no problems. It is six weeks today until the Adelaide ET and I am starting to get nervous. This week we have been doing 11kms but now I have a nasty cold and don't feel well enough to train this weekend. Might put Kynan on the treadmill later today.

Edited by Kynan

Oh -- and from my experience - it might be owrth training in the rain - at least once - if you get any rain. It's a different ball game for dogs and riders - I fell off when my boy did a particularly violent shake as we were riding into a sleety squall in our ET. :cry:

Thanks for the tips, Tassie!!

Sounds like your ET was delightful! :mad

:cry: Oh yeah - totally - wet all the time, very windy - usually when we were coming back into it, freezing cold - and the last bit on the grass was through water LOL. But still worth doing :hug: .

:laugh: Hi Ness. Thanks for encouragement! I ran Kynan on a flat collar today for the first time and he did really well but there were hardly any distractions which made it easier.