Endurance Test 2010

Kynan

That's excellent!!! :)

We haven't been able to get out for a couple of days because of my uni schedule... I left home at 645am yesterday and got home at 8pm! Hardly gives you much time to go train unless you want to go in the pitch black! :)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a long day for you TerraNik! I have been taking 2 days a week off work (long service leave) so that we can train during the week plus on weekends. I am very lucky that I have been able to do that and don't know how I would fit training in otherwise. Just doing 12km takes 3 hours out of the day including loading and unloading the bike, packing all the gear and water, and then washing, stretching, and massaging Kynan after.

I've just found the date for the one in Qld - our wedding Anniversary.......

Now I just have to decide which puppy to play with and whether to ride or run. I think it might be easier just to run as they have a 'thing' about bikes.

Hopefully you can go out for dinner and have two reasons to celebrate! That is great that you are thinking of running with your dog. I wish I was that fit! The vet for the Adelaide one actually runs most of the way with the group to keep an eye on the dogs.

That's a long day for you TerraNik! I have been taking 2 days a week off work (long service leave) so that we can train during the week plus on weekends. I am very lucky that I have been able to do that and don't know how I would fit training in otherwise. Just doing 12km takes 3 hours out of the day including loading and unloading the bike, packing all the gear and water, and then washing, stretching, and massaging Kynan after.

Yep and it's not unheard of for me to have a few days like that every week. :thumbsup:

I wish I could take days off to train for it! You're very lucky and Kynan will do so well!

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think Jed and I will be doing the ET now... He keeps having trouble with his left front paw and isn't able to run at the moment. The Et is in a few weeks. :wave:

Oh no TerraNik I am so sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you are feeling as I don't think Kynan and I will make it either. Last week Kynan started limping on his back right leg so I rested him for a week and took him out again this morning and he is still limping. It's very disappointing with only three weeks to go after all the work we have put in. I am very proud that we got up to 12 km. My boy just doesn't have the conformation to go any further and it would be cruel to push him. Lots of tears during the past week :( I am thinking of going to the ET without Kynan and taking my bike so I can be a reserve rider in case anyone gets hurt or needs a break. It would be great to be able to help someone else out.

Oh that's very disappointing, guys. And you were both looking forward to it.

Kynan, I think going along anyway is a great idea, as long as it's OK with the club conducting the ET. I know the time we did it, the club did have to make use of a spare handler when one was incapacitated, and I had had to borrow a bike for a period while the dirt was being dug out of the brakes of my bike after Fergus had a huge shake in the sleet and wind, and I had to dump the bike and me on the side in the clay-ey gravel to avoid falling on him :bottom: - I was really very grateful there was a spare bike handy. :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think Jed and I will be doing the ET now... He keeps having trouble with his left front paw and isn't able to run at the moment. The Et is in a few weeks. :idea:

Oh no TerraNik I am so sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you are feeling as I don't think Kynan and I will make it either. Last week Kynan started limping on his back right leg so I rested him for a week and took him out again this morning and he is still limping. It's very disappointing with only three weeks to go after all the work we have put in. I am very proud that we got up to 12 km. My boy just doesn't have the conformation to go any further and it would be cruel to push him. Lots of tears during the past week :laugh: I am thinking of going to the ET without Kynan and taking my bike so I can be a reserve rider in case anyone gets hurt or needs a break. It would be great to be able to help someone else out.

I have gone as a reserve a few times now! I had a reserve when I did it with abby and it makes the riders feel much better! Even knowing there is a spare bike incase chains break etc.

Its sad Kynan cant do it but we have had some dogs pushed when I was vetting and it was clear that they were struggeling physically to make it and I was dissapointed that the vet did not pull them and even more dissapointed that their owners were oblivious and didnt pull the dog themselves- so you have proved that you are awear of your dogs welfare!!

Thanks Woofenpup. I am still very upset that we won't be doing it. It is on this Saturday and I am looking forward to watching it but know I will feel a bit sad not being there with Kynan.

The Endurance Test was held in Adelaide this morning. 15 entries, 13 starters, and 12 qualifiers (one dog was vetted out at the first break after 8km). Over all they were lucky with the weather. There were a few small rain showers and one big one during the second break which stopped just before the riders and dogs went out again. The dogs all looked great and seemed to do it easily. Congratulations to all who passed. :cry: