Dogs Living Out On Farms

Dee_al

My OH lives out on a property, hes got 2 dogs which have lived out there pretty much their whole lives (since they were puppies). The dogs are only penned at night time or if their isnt anyone home for a long period during the day. Im not living out there but i am spending alot of time out there and im feeling really bad, like im neglecting Kane :laugh: it makes me feel like a really bad parent. The issue is, he has always just lived in a normal backyard so im pretty sure that without the normal fencing hes used to, he will just go exploring and i may not find him for a while. Is there anyway id be able to train him to just hang around the house?

Just about all the dogs we ever had on the farm came as pups so just learnt to stick around, but when my grandfather went into the nursing home his lab had to come live with us. We just gave him an entire securely fenced paddock to live in (we have like a hospital paddock next to the house, about 5 acres, so he had that).

If you find yourself spending more time on the farm I would build a pen for Kane and just have him out while you are outside to start with. Then after a few weeks maybe sit inside and just watch him. I dont think I would ever really trust him to hang about if you were not focused on him especially if he may have a tendency to chase or even be intreguied (sp?) by stock, the risk is not worth it.

I'm on 25 acres which has good perimeter fencing (mesh sheep fence mostly) so keeps dogs in if they happen to get that far. BUT, despite my dogs being born and bred in suburbia, they pretty much free range but don't go far from the house unless I am with them. That includes the Staffords and the Greyhound who has decided he is #1 "guard dog and gate greeter" and takes his job VERY seriously.

At this time of the year, the American Cockers aren't allowed to roam because of the grass seeds and other assorted garden debris that they tend to collect which matt them solid in the blink of an eye, but in winter when the grass is just long and wet, they can go for their lives.

I've never yet had a dog go completely "missing" or get out of the perimeter fencing and I've been here now for 2 years.

We are the same- ourdogs are pretty much all born here- or come to us young. They have no need to run away..nothing to run TO :laugh:

I understand how you feel tho- it is all a great novelty to Kane, and yes, he may well wander off property!

If you can construct a sturdy run that would be a wise move:) or have him on a long lead/rope when you are out, so he can run, but stay close.

My OH lives out on a property, hes got 2 dogs which have lived out there pretty much their whole lives (since they were puppies). The dogs are only penned at night time or if their isnt anyone home for a long period during the day. Im not living out there but i am spending alot of time out there and im feeling really bad, like im neglecting Kane :laugh: it makes me feel like a really bad parent. The issue is, he has always just lived in a normal backyard so im pretty sure that without the normal fencing hes used to, he will just go exploring and i may not find him for a while. Is there anyway id be able to train him to just hang around the house?

I often take my dog to a friends 100 acre property for weekends and it is not fenced. Chilli does not wander out of sight at any time we are there. It really depends on the dog rather than what they are used to. I wouldn't leave her outside if we left the property as I would be worried she'd come looking for us but whilst we are there she is happy to stick around.

I guess you'll just have to take him there and perhaps stick him on a long line at first and supervise him at all times to see how he reacts. If the other dogs stick around he will probably tend to stay with them I would have thought. As you say, it seems a shame to have him locked up at home whilst you are there and he could be running around having fun.

Good luck.

I'd be trying a long lunge rope (bought in saddlery stores) (like a dog lead but much, much longer) for starters and see how he settles......I've had many dogs I've fostered and all have learnt to hang around the house with my own dogs - have had a couple of whippets do runners but always came back.......it depends on the dog I think - we've had friends dogs come and stay for the day and they've all roamed with ours and been fine!!!!!!! Oh.....we are on 140 acres and the house is not close at all to the road - just keep a close eye on him for starters!!!!!!

I live on a large rural property and my two female dogs stay within the "house yard" even though its only 4 strands of barb wire. I wondered the same as you when I got my youngest dog , she had spent the first 16 months of her life in a fenced suburban yard. When I first got here I would tie her up if I went out, which wasn't for long periods. When I thought she was settled and wouldn't chase after me I left her loose.

Have you taken Kane out there so he gets used to the place? Having the other two around may make him feel more secure and knowing you are close by may help.

I am often amazed how my two run up to the fence and bark at things outside, they have obviously set a "perimeter" for themselves. Most other farm dogs I know off do the same.

We moved to semi-rural with no real fencing when Rams was 2 years old. At first he would wander off into the cow paddocks if I didnt go out and check on him regularly. When I went to work I tethered him but would always come home and he had gotten out of the harness and collar and would be on the verandah. We put some chicken wire up on the fence and he hasnt gotten out since then. We have even had thegate been left open (by furniture people) and I went out hours later and he was just sitting on the verandah.

Kane might wander off if you dont check on him regularly but if he is anything like my lab boy Rams he will come racing back as soon as you call :laugh:

Unless your dog is quite stupid (in dog terms) or not-desexed and in search of a mate, you can pretty much count on it returning . . . if it doesn't get hurt, captured, or killed. But chasing a rabbit or roo may mean this return takes an hour of two (for an energetic, gamey dog).

The critical thing is understanding local hazards, such as busy roads, people with stock who may shoot trespassing dogs, horses who may kick, bitches on season, Rangers, 1080 baits, etc.

Also note that two or more dogs working as a pack will often go much further away than one.

Agree with what everyone has said. We visit the farm I grew up on regularly & there is no fencing for the dogs. They just seem to hang around the back verandah & only really venture into the paddocks to toilet or when I go for a walk. As other have said, I lock them up if I go into town as I think they would try to follow.

How bonded is Kane to you normally? Does he have a good recall? If you walk him offlead does he stick with you or does he get distracted?

Yep, for all that mine "free range" when I'm home, when not at home they are either inside, in my large carport which has been fenced off to provide an all-weather, safe shelter or they are with me. The only exception to this is the greyhound who patrols the houseyard and the parking area and sleeps in the hayshed with the cats. And this was HIS choice, he must be one of the few greys who prefers the great outdoors to the couch! :laugh:

Sorry but just because you live on acreage does not mean that you don't need a way to contain your dogs. It is one of my pet hates. It doesn't take long for a dog to nick off and get into all sorts of trouble. Unless you are standing outside with them, then they should be safely contained.

A few years ago we moved to our 2 1/2 acre block and all I did was keep a close eye on her to make sure she didn't wander off, eventually we built a fence for the back garden and I'd shut the gate when I went out but now I don't shut the gate anymore and she just hangs around. When I drive down the track I can see her sitting on the front steps waiting.

It does depend on the personality of the dog though, a previous dog I had years ago would never hang around :laugh:

Oh and something else before I go, our neighbors have 3 dogs and they all seem to hang around their place too! Often they meet up in my horse paddock and have a play and then go their separate ways home again but thats as far as they go.

Sorry but just because you live on acreage does not mean that you don't need a way to contain your dogs. It is one of my pet hates. It doesn't take long for a dog to nick off and get into all sorts of trouble. Unless you are standing outside with them, then they should be safely contained.

My acreage is well fenced. Sheep fencing (mesh) perimeter and a separate "house" yard. I'm perfectly confident in leaving my dogs outside when I am at home. My yard (all 25 acres of it) here is better fenced than my house in suburbia was if I'm really honest.

That is true! Our closest neighbours across the road had a ridgie and a foxy, and they would always come racing out of the house and follow us when we walked the dogs. They now no longer have the ridgie as my OH accidentally ran it over when it was out wandering and it shot out in front of his car. The foxy is still there and gets out every time!! I get so angry as often there is cars and cyclists on the road and with a narrow country road, 3 people walking dogs, cars AND cyclists with the foxy in the middle of the road and the owner standing in the paddock watching!!

Nearly bit his head off and blurted out 'do you want another one of your uncontained dogs killed on the road?!?!?!"

Assume it will wander unless it is not pushy with the fence.

I loved all the people in the surrounding farms who always said their dogs never wandered... I suppose that meant never further then the next postcode :laugh: I saw supposed homebody dogs nick off every now and again. I hated it, it was just as annoying out there as it was in the city.

Keep him on a running line or a dog pen. Conversely an E collar can dissuade him from trying out fences

Edited by Nekhbet

As soon as my next door neighbours 2 cockers get out of their poorly fenced run they take off, generally to our property chasing my animals. In fact my son's pet bunny was missing from it's pen by my bedroom door when we got home Saturday night. We found her body covered in dry slobber and one leg stripped to the bone near their fenceline yesterday. Roaming dogs on property are a hazzard and I am tired of warning irresponsible people. Jake my CASD does not roam at all, and luckily for the cockers, not so for our pet he was penned Saturday afternoon :laugh: In future Jake will be left free to do what he does best and that is protect our animals from predators.

I have had animals taken by foxes so I know it wasn't a fox kill and these dogs have been caught harassing our animals many times before. The other concern is birds/animals dropping 1080 baits on unbaited properties.

I have no neighbours and have the only house up a dead end lane( so no traffic) and have lived here for just over 5 years. 3 of my dogs free range(old bullmastiff and 2 little dogs), always have. They just arent going to wander off, they never have. The only time they venture out is when I am with them. The other 3, 2 young bullmastiffs will wander(so are penned or indoors when not supervised) and the dobe(not sure he will wander as he is only new here, but Im not risking it) so he is penned when Im not home or overnight, however he can be out while I am home as he doesnt go anywhere.

I would not however ever trust any of my dogs in a suburban area with no fences, or if I lived on a road with traffic passing.