Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh Yeah....there were a few expletives said over and over!!!!!! When we got home they were very thirsty but that was about it. They are up and bouncing today so alls good except my hip pocket!!!!!!

:hug: bedazzled! Hope the dogs are OK now - that was scary - bad enough dark chocolate, but with sultanas as well. You must have been freaking!

This one is really for amypie and ptolomy but I thought I would put it up for anyone who wants to have some constructive critisicm. :laugh: It's because last weekend at the agility trial Toby was all edgy and not willing to jump and I was like "he's not like this at home" so the next day I decided I needed a little proof that he's really not like that at home so I made this little video of us training. :rofl:

Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNpIcy3F9w

I have a trial tomorrow and if he could have the raring to go attitude that he has in this video in the ring that would be better then any quallie or first place for me. But I am not holding out to much hope because I think his attitude is 99% coming from my nerves which aren't going to be any better especially with my family coming to watch! :mad

Edited by valleyCBR

A couple of thoughts watching that, valleyCBR. As far as tomorrow goes - band-aid needed for your nerves - swift, stiff drink? or Rescue Remedy?

Longer term, the other thing that struck me was that I'd be wanting to do a lot more interative rewarding and revving up with Toby - the isqueak is great, and he likes it, but he just sort of goes off and amuses himself while you're fixing jumps. Does he tug? I'd be throwing a tug toy and then encouraging him to come back to you and have a game of tug before I did anything else. (We had a private lesson with a trainer/friend a couple of months ago when she was over, and she had us doing a 10 second jump exercise, and then tug for a whole minute - she timed it! That's a lot of tugging with a 15 kg dog!)

And maybe setting him up with some revving like "Ready, ready ready" --- (mind you, this is coming from someone with a broken SLS - well, to be honest, it's mostly been non-existent - my bad for inconsistent training).

So if you get really excited and exciting in training, that would help you and him in trials, I think.

He is a lovely dog! :laugh:

Glad your doggies are ok - must have a couple of chocoholics there :mad

Saw that while I was in the waiting room at Murdoch very late!!! Bloody dogs got into 2 family sized blocks of dark chocolate with sultanas!!!!! (not mine and I had no idea that it was there grrrr) Phoned Murdoch and they said that 300 grams would be a toxic dose for one dog. It was 400 grams total plus some white chocky so we had no idea who got what, so off we went and paid a bucket load of money for them to chuck up!!!!!

The dock diving was impressive though!!!!

Dock Diving Dalmatian on Letterman right now :laugh:

Pretty friggin' impressive jump!

More doggies coming up. But I'm almost asleep :rofl:

A couple of thoughts watching that, valleyCBR. As far as tomorrow goes - band-aid needed for your nerves - swift, stiff drink? or Rescue Remedy?

Longer term, the other thing that struck me was that I'd be wanting to do a lot more interative rewarding and revving up with Toby - the isqueak is great, and he likes it, but he just sort of goes off and amuses himself while you're fixing jumps. Does he tug? I'd be throwing a tug toy and then encouraging him to come back to you and have a game of tug before I did anything else. (We had a private lesson with a trainer/friend a couple of months ago when she was over, and she had us doing a 10 second jump exercise, and then tug for a whole minute - she timed it! That's a lot of tugging with a 15 kg dog!)

And maybe setting him up with some revving like "Ready, ready ready" --- (mind you, this is coming from someone with a broken SLS - well, to be honest, it's mostly been non-existent - my bad for inconsistent training).

So if you get really excited and exciting in training, that would help you and him in trials, I think.

Tassie, you hit the nail on the head!!

Here's a quote from Nancy Gyes from the TeamSmallDog Blog...

Dump the attitude, get rid of corrections, make your teammate your best friend with lots of play. If your dog will play with you in some way, engage and look you in the eye with a smile on her face then you are half way there. Play does not need to be tugging with a toy, that's an easy way to play but there are lots of others as well. You should be able to get down on the ground and roll around with your dog and just have fun making physical contact with each other. End quote.

I don't doubt that you guys play a lot, I just noticed a disconnection when you threw your toy...your turning of your back ends the play connection. You could throw your toy and then run in and play with lots of physical contact. More play :mad

Thanks for the advice, lots in there for me to think about. He does tug a little but tends to shut down in public and will only play with the iSqueak or food. However I have just rediscovered my Control Unleashed book so hopefully using some of those exercises I can get him tugging.

Wake up, valley! A Chessie is diving next :) (aaaaand, I recognised it as a Chessie before the woman said so :))

:thumbsup: Chessies do very well in dock diving. I'm sorry I missed this. Badazzled glad the dogs are ok.

I missed what breed the last jumper was, but he looked like a Lab X maybe a greyhound to me :D He won! Chessie came in 2nd I think.

Bedazzled :eek::o Glad the dogs are ok after a nice big vomit!! Bad puppies. Trust them to pick a block that had sultanas in it to boot!

Oh Yeah....there were a few expletives said over and over!!!!!! When we got home they were very thirsty but that was about it. They are up and bouncing today so alls good except my hip pocket!!!!!!
:thumbsup: bedazzled! Hope the dogs are OK now - that was scary - bad enough dark chocolate, but with sultanas as well. You must have been freaking!

Me thinks some dogs are going to have to go out and earn a wage to pay for their next meal :D

He is a lovely dog! :thumbsup:

Tassie, you hit the nail on the head!!

Here's a quote from Nancy Gyes from the TeamSmallDog Blog...

Dump the attitude, get rid of corrections, make your teammate your best friend with lots of play. If your dog will play with you in some way, engage and look you in the eye with a smile on her face then you are half way there. Play does not need to be tugging with a toy, that's an easy way to play but there are lots of others as well. You should be able to get down on the ground and roll around with your dog and just have fun making physical contact with each other. End quote.

I don't doubt that you guys play a lot, I just noticed a disconnection when you threw your toy...your turning of your back ends the play connection. You could throw your toy and then run in and play with lots of physical contact. More play :eek:

Thanks Caffy. It's great to get some feedback. :D

@ valleyCBR - I was teaching a puppy class today, and we were learning hand targeting - stationary and moving, and teaching the front cross change of sides (not calling it that of course :) ). That would be something which you and Toby could probably play at a trial - it makes me laugh when I do it with mine, seeing how quickly they can make the change and get to the hand - and that would be relaxing for both of you. The people and the puppies in class seemed to get a kick out of doing it today.

And caffy - I love Nancy Gyes too - she's got an article in the latest CR about retraining - and describes how she thought she would take a break and retrain contacts to running - and ended up 'failing' and deciding to go back to her 2o2o - analysing why it didn't work and deciding that was OK. I just love her down to earth attitude.

Toby perfomed really well today. He had a jump, chute, pinwheel, tunnel, spread and then a serpentine which was close to the edge of the ring so he couldn't resist going to say hi to Cap :) If he hadn't gone to play I am fairly certain he would have run clear as after the first 14 ostables 15 onwards was in a nice sweeping arc and involved a tunnel. :o He still wasn't running with as much enthusiasm as he does at home but he was getting there.

Tassie- hand targeting and shaking paw are my warm ups.

Hopefully by the time Toby is 3 (next June :mad ) I will have something to put in the brags thread. ;)

Hey valley, that sounds great! Sounds like you and Toby had a pretty good day - and hey, friends close to a ring are always going to be a distraction :) . Even my Kirra, who is old and experienced enough to know better, was distracted almost out of the ring by a piece of equipment outside the ring one time over in WA - it was on her arc, and she must have thought it was something she needed to take.

It won't be too long before you and Toby are right there in the brags thread. :mad

Touch wood our down stays have been going well lately! We've been doing a little bit each day (when I'm not being lazy) and Daisy has not barked during or broken any of them lately :) we're back up to the two minute mark and over, I have been throwing food and other small objects and she has been consistently solid :mad let's hope that we will keep on this track for our next trial at the end of the month!