Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great to hear Kathq - it is great when it does work. Gotta love a happy waggy tail :)

I think I must have been channeling Ptolomy last night to some degree.

Sat down with the dogs and watched an Agility training DVD while eating Doritos!! Didn't have a Cider though just Cooldrink! Hopefully some of your fantastic training skills get channeled my way as well :D

Way to go, Kathq and Coco!!

I found the same - focus on the wagging tail and the rest will follow :)

I've been having trouble with Ruby bringing a dummy out of the water and to me, she always drops it at the edge and it has gotten me really uptight. Today, I totally relaxed, smiled, crouched down to her level with my hands in my lap and she came out of the water and up the bank with it :cheer: So I'm hoping more of this and the present to hand the first time will just follow :D

Edited by RubyStar

Way to go, Kathq and Coco!!

I found the same - focus on the wagging tail and the rest will follow :)

I've been having trouble with Ruby bringing a dummy out of the water and to me, she always drops it at the edge and it has gotten me really uptight. Today, I totally relaxed, smiled, crouched down to her level with my hands in my lap and she came out of the water and up the bank with it :cheer: So I'm hoping more of this and the present to hand the first time will just follow :D

Yes!!! Dogs are more sensitive to our moods than we give them credit for I think.

RS - you would have pulled a muscle laughing to see the antics and stunts I pulled last week to stop Em parading her retrieve item to Lablover. It was a little more than relaxed and smiled. I don't think you'd believe me if I told you :rofl: But it worked!!!

Thanks very much for your advice everyone...looks like I'm on the right track just have to go back a few steps perhaps.

Zazu isn't that into people, so never runs to stewards - she just RUNS! That is self rewarding enough for her (funny that, being a Sibe!) On that note - I took her dog sledding (well dog scootering really) this weekend. Heaps of fun, equal parts exhilarating and downright scary, especially going downhill. I highly recommend it for anyone that has a medium or large dog. Also doing well were some labs and a GSP as well as some kelpies...and of course lots of Sibes. On the up side Zazu was probably the most obedient one there :) . On the down side...hardly any had ever done any obedience training.

I am so over it!! I can't train at my local oval as its been turned into a free for all, dogs offlead area so I go to the next suburb. Now this one has been overtaken by morons who have no control :mad I had just finished a short training session with Brookie and put him in the car and brought out Zac (6 month old) to do a little bit when this utter moron (I could say a few other words) rocked up and let his 2 large dogs straight out of the car...no collars or leads and they made a bee line for Zac with the one of them with his hackles up grrrr!!!!!

My last kelpie girl was attacked in just this situation when she was around the same age and she never got over it so I just bundled Zac back into the car as fast as I could at the same time asking the owner to put his dogs on a lead PLEASE!!! Well I was totally unprepared for the torrent of abuse from this poor excuse for a man!!! Yelling at me that his dogs just want to play what did I think..his dog was savage????

I have to travel 45 minutes down the hill to our K9 grounds to train just so I can ensure my dogs are safe. Not fair!!! :mad OK rant over...I feel better now ;)

That sucks, bedazzled :( There really are some morons out there!! Glad you got Zac put away before anything happened!

Not training related, but I'm sure some of you are aware that I refuse to give my dogs the small pleasure of a walk around the neighbourhood, because there are too many off lead dogs. Some are walking with owners (but nowhere near them), but the majority of them are just out wandering the street a couple of houses up to where they live. And some of them are NOT friendly. I get a panic attack now anytime one of them is out. So the only exercise my two get is at K9 where I can ensure their safety icon_smile_mad.gif

Although last night I took the girls for a bike ride around my parents neighbourhood, which is much better. Anyway, there is this family that live right at the top/middle of a T junction, and them and their kids and their DOG are always out the front playing. This street isn't quiet, many cars come flying down it. Anyway, I was at the corner waiting for a lady and her dog to pass (as I was on the bike, so I got off and waited so Millie wouldn't pull me off!), and just as we're about to take off again, the dog out the front of this house bolts across the road straight for us! 5-10 secs earlier and it would have been hit by a car! It went right up Millie's bum for a sniff, lucky she just stood there looking at me like get this thing away from me. The guy ran over to get his dog and apologized as he walked off, but I yelled back that it's actually their dog getting hit by a car I am worried about! About 45 mins later, I am out with Ruby this time on the bike. And yep, these people STILL have their dog out the front with them. I think it is going to take the dog getting hit by a car for them to realise that it isn't as well behaved as they think, that there are in fact times when something (like me and Millie for eg) will entice it over the other side of the road in the path of an oncoming car icon_smile_mad.gif

Edited by RubyStar

You gotta wonder how come they can walk upright don't you RS :mad

That sucks, bedazzled :( There really are some morons out there!! Glad you got Zac put away before anything happened!

Not training related, but I'm sure some of you are aware that I refuse to give my dogs the small pleasure of a walk around the neighbourhood, because there are too many off lead dogs. Some are walking with owners (but nowhere near them), but the majority of them are just out wandering the street a couple of houses up to where they live. And some of them are NOT friendly. I get a panic attack now anytime one of them is out. So the only exercise my two get is at K9 where I can ensure their safety icon_smile_mad.gif

Although last night I took the girls for a bike ride around my parents neighbourhood, which is much better. Anyway, there is this family that live right at the top/middle of a T junction, and them and their kids and their DOG are always out the front playing. This street isn't quiet, many cars come flying down it. Anyway, I was at the corner waiting for a lady and her dog to pass (as I was on the bike, so I got off and waited so Millie wouldn't pull me off!), and just as we're about to take off again, the dog out the front of this house bolts across the road straight for us! 5-10 secs earlier and it would have been hit by a car! It went right up Millie's bum for a sniff, lucky she just stood there looking at me like get this thing away from me. The guy ran over to get his dog and apologized as he walked off, but I yelled back that it's actually their dog getting hit by a car I am worried about! About 45 mins later, I am out with Ruby this time on the bike. And yep, these people STILL have their dog out the front with them. I think it is going to take the dog getting hit by a car for them to realise that it isn't as well behaved as they think, that there are in fact times when something (like me and Millie for eg) will entice it over the other side of the road in the path of an oncoming car icon_smile_mad.gif

So glad nothing happened to Zac, you do have to wonder Bedazzled.

I not only worry about those sorts of interactions, but also the fact Whippets tear easily and one decent nip acan mean off to the vets for a stitch up. I am VERY thankful I live on acerage and rarely have to deal with this issue. I feel for those of you who do.

RS OH and I were talking about this very thing this afternoon. They obviously cannot care too much if their dog lives or dies.

A neighbour has had some lambs killed over the last few days. He has tried to catch them but no luck, he has had to resort to laying baits as the damage to his flock is increasing. If people actually cared if their dog lived or died there is no way they would take a risk that their dog is not contained correctly.

Edited by OSoSwift

Happens everywhere guys unfortunately. Thank goodness nobody was damaged at all. I wont walk my girls around here thanks to off leash dogs and when I go out to train there are four places I try each a little further away and never know where I will end up depending on what I find at each place when I get there. On occasion I end up coming home having done no training but giving the girls a nice 45 minute car ride. They are happy - me not so much.

Tried a new area alongside a creek for an off lead run yesterday Coco loved the muddy ditches full of stinky grey/black mud to play in :vomit:.

So glad nothing happened to Zac, you do have to wonder Bedazzled.

I not only worry about those sorts of interactions, but also the fact Whippets tear easily and one decent nip acan mean off to the vets for a stitch up. I am VERY thankful I live on acerage and rarely have to deal with this issue. I feel for those of you who do.

RS OH and I were talking about this very thing this afternoon. They obviously cannot care too much if their dog lives or dies.

A neighbour has had some lambs killed over the last few days. He has tried to catch them but no luck, he has had to resort to laying baits as the damage to his flock is increasing. If people actually cared if their dog lived or died there is no way they would take a risk that their dog is not contained correctly.

In ref to your neighbour OSS I sujest if they set up a camera system to catch the stays on film, this automatic goes to the computor, burn it to DVD & take it to the Council & cops to report the incedent. I personaly know how it feels loosing stock :eek: I worked in an abbotors we lost stock to stray dogs. We shot a large no. of dogs (back in the early 80's) the owners should be shot not the poor dogs.

But yes I agree it is hard to find a place to train our babies, without putting up with offlease uncontrolable run aways :eek: makes me angry

Murve that would work if the paddocks were not so large, and with creeks and bush etc. I hope they find who owns the dogs and gets them charged with allowing a dog to roam and making them pay for the stock losses. At around $120 per lamb it will add up rather quickly!

What annoys me about off leash dogs etc is there are rules, they are not hard to understand - Just do it for goodness sake.

As for the morons who have no idea what a dog is saying, they only want a play, they will sort it out etc. A lovely strong wooden plank over the head should work!

Murve that would work if the paddocks were not so large, and with creeks and bush etc. I hope they find who owns the dogs and gets them charged with allowing a dog to roam and making them pay for the stock losses. At around $120 per lamb it will add up rather quickly!

What annoys me about off leash dogs etc is there are rules, they are not hard to understand - Just do it for goodness sake.

As for the morons who have no idea what a dog is saying, they only want a play, they will sort it out etc. A lovely strong wooden plank over the head should work!

Yeah for the owner!

Yeah for the owner!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: yep clobber the owner, can I stand in line?? I will supply the 4/2 piece of wood, can I put a couple of nails in it toooo. OOOOpppppsss that might be a bit exstream

Yes every council has rules/regulations why cant these idiots agnolage them :eek:

I'm on your side Sue & Cindy

We're entering our 2nd trial this weekend. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan :)

At our dog club the other week, a fellow Doler was taking photos. Just thought I'd share a few of Annie as they show the joy on her face whilst she's working. Admittedly a few milliseconds after this photo was taken she became cheeky and did not finish the exercise properly (victory lap with the dumbell :laugh: ) but at least she's enjoying herself.

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

OOhh I do feel for the owner of the stock, we had stock stealling from outskirt farms happening here, we put Farm monortoring camera's in, the mongrels got caught.

Just been chating to my partner as we do securiy camera's, he sujested Farm monortoring camera's ideal for paddocks

Pm me and I will give you our ph. no. & you can pass it on to the farmer, Sandy (my partner)can chat further with him to help him to stop the stock loss :)

We're entering our 2nd trial this weekend. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan :)

At our dog club the other week, a fellow Doler was taking photos. Just thought I'd share a few of Annie as they show the joy on her face whilst she's working. Admittedly a few milliseconds after this photo was taken she became cheeky and did not finish the exercise properly (victory lap with the dumbell :laugh: ) but at least she's enjoying herself.

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Good luck Nik, hope you do well. Love the pic's of Annie :laugh:

Wow, sounds like everyones going great guns at the moment!!!!

Goodluck at your next trial, Nik :thumbsup:

OOS - love the videos!!! What lovely lovely work!!

Sorry to hear about the idiots at the park, beddazled!!! It really gets to me as well, and living in a small town it happens all too often :mad :mad I just don't walk Lottie around the town, and usually drive her to the field (which is literally a 2min walk past my house) because of the loose dogs that I would encounter if we walked - it's sooooo annoying! :mad

I'm no help with the dumbbell - wuffles. Lottie LOVES getting the dumbbell, and I haven't had any problems with her yet (touch wood!).

I was just wondering - do most people here clicker train?? It's something I haven't done yet, but thinking it might help with precision type work?? And maybe help with some duration?? Any tips would be great :D

I clicker train...love it! Especially good for youngsters and for shaping behaviours.

Wow, sounds like everyones going great guns at the moment!!!!

Goodluck at your next trial, Nik :thumbsup:

OOS - love the videos!!! What lovely lovely work!!

Sorry to hear about the idiots at the park, beddazled!!! It really gets to me as well, and living in a small town it happens all too often :mad :mad I just don't walk Lottie around the town, and usually drive her to the field (which is literally a 2min walk past my house) because of the loose dogs that I would encounter if we walked - it's sooooo annoying! :mad

I'm no help with the dumbbell - wuffles. Lottie LOVES getting the dumbbell, and I haven't had any problems with her yet (touch wood!).

I was just wondering - do most people here clicker train?? It's something I haven't done yet, but thinking it might help with precision type work?? And maybe help with some duration?? Any tips would be great :D

Well I just gave it a try - wow!! Lottie picked it up SUPER SUPER quickly!! Something I might keep working with!! Her heel position improved already after just one session (I had done a small session a few weeks back of just clicking and treating - so she remembered it very quick!!).