Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Heeelp! :laugh: Ok our drops, stands, stays, recall, waits, SFE are all pretty good and ready. Its the automatic sits without saying anything thats the problem! How can I teach him when I stop, he sits! Ive been going back to basics, a few manual sits, a few verbal sits and then a few saying nothing sits and he walks a few steps ahead and just stands there and looks back at me. Our first trial will be 21/8/11 and I need to get this down pat!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are not going to want to hear this, but 9 times out of 10 the dog doesn't automatically sit because you are not being consistent in your footwork or are not cueing him in consistently.

Any chance of a video ;)

Meanwhile... I should probably announce this...

My latest addition... Meet Revan (rhymes with Devon)

5810705899_96e6fd6da0.jpg

Total foster failure... He weazled his way in within a week and well... I'm a sucker for those eyes! (Plus he's pretty clever, too!)

You are not going to want to hear this, but 9 times out of 10 the dog doesn't automatically sit because you are not being consistent in your footwork or are not cueing him in consistently.

Any chance of a video ;)

I 100% agree with you. It has to be something Im doing! It couldnt be anything else. Video..err not available :laugh: I need to scrub up massively on my technique. I think I should go back to dog training for some extra tips!

Do some practicing without the dog making sure you are stopping on the same foot each time, keeping your body straight and not taking a huge giant step before you halt. Then introduce the dog into the picture and see what happens. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile... I should probably announce this...

My latest addition... Meet Revan (rhymes with Devon)

5810705899_96e6fd6da0.jpg

Total foster failure... He weazled his way in within a week and well... I'm a sucker for those eyes! (Plus he's pretty clever, too!)

He's gorgeous :)

What Ive noticed myself doing is sort of hesitating coming up to a sit. So walking normal pace along then slow down for a few paces and stopping on the left foot. Rams takes a few steps in front and stands there.

So- This arvo I will start without Rams :laugh: Im going to be 100% commited to his training this arvo and not go abit silly like I did yesterday after it seemed like we were getting nowhere during training. Ive got my boss who was a trialler to help me over the next few weekends to make sure we are 100% ready and take me through some mock trial scenarios. I have 100% confidence in my boy he will perform Itll just be a case of wether Ive got it down pat again and dont totally flip out.

Any Dolers going to the trial on 21/8/11 at Brush Farm Dog Training Club? Itll be my first and unless my mum comes along Ill be alone :(

Any Dolers going to the trial on 21/8/11 at Brush Farm Dog Training Club? Itll be my first and unless my mum comes along Ill be alone :(

I was going to go, but Ahsoka will be in season so I'm going to an agility trial with Jedi instead.

Brush Farm trials are good though - lots of helpful people and nice grounds. Good luck!

Ok we did a serious training session today..In the drizzling rain! Got soaked after 10 mins. His sits are so much better now Ive paid attention to what we are doing. He didnt want to work in the rain and we were at a new park neither of us had walked to before so was lots of smells around. But overall Im pleased with him and am now confident that we will be ready for our trial in August.

Strauss's breeder has just sent me this link - its the same dog only a much clearer better video :thumbsup:

Brilliant dog!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

LOVE his waggy tail!! :)

Awesome :)

That is great!! Thanks for sharing :)

Nik - he is just gorgeous, and can't wait to see what you do with him :thumbsup: He'll be a little star like your other 2 :D

I haven't been doing a whole lot of obedience training lately :o We've had a little break - but we had the most beautiful, enthusiastic dumbbell session today :D Was very happy with Lot!!

Awesome to hear about your DB session! I am still pulling my hair out over Ahsoka's DB work... I just can't seem to get her through her issues - she gets SO excited about handing the DB back that she throws it at me or starts offering other behaviours (begging, paw, etc). If I wait her out, she just gets more and more frustrated. Any suggestions from the powers that be?

Rev has been awesome - he is so much fun to train and is picking things up so quickly (as you'd expect!)! I'm not pushing him though - we're just working on some foundation OB work and Flyball.

Rev is gorgeous TN - congratulations :D

Any dumbbell issues and I go back to sitting on the chair, presenting to front and training with their dinner. Much easier to isolate issues and NRM calmly if necessary. Fixed Ziggy chomping and Miss E's excitability. More self control from both of them.

Awesome to hear about your DB session! I am still pulling my hair out over Ahsoka's DB work... I just can't seem to get her through her issues - she gets SO excited about handing the DB back that she throws it at me or starts offering other behaviours (begging, paw, etc). If I wait her out, she just gets more and more frustrated. Any suggestions from the powers that be?

Rev has been awesome - he is so much fun to train and is picking things up so quickly (as you'd expect!)! I'm not pushing him though - we're just working on some foundation OB work and Flyball.

TerraNIK - what made you decide to change breeds and YES he is beautiful - can't wait to hear more about him.

SLLH - glad to hear you have sorted yourself out which had helped your boy :thumbsup:

Rev is gorgeous TN - congratulations :D

Any dumbbell issues and I go back to sitting on the chair, presenting to front and training with their dinner. Much easier to isolate issues and NRM calmly if necessary. Fixed Ziggy chomping and Miss E's excitability. More self control from both of them.

That's what I'm doing... If I hold the article (I've tried DB, dowel, tennis ball, toy so far - makes no difference to the behaviour) she will mouth it, whine, squeel, paw, beg, etc. NRM does nothing but frustrate her even more and the whining increases. There is no such thing as "calm" when it comes to this exercise...

I have ended sessions as soon as she whines, makes no difference.

I'm stuck!

TerraNIK - what made you decide to change breeds and YES he is beautiful - can't wait to hear more about him.

I didn't 'change breeds' per se... I just... well, he's more of a blip. :laugh: I was fostering him for Aust Working Dog Rescue with the objective of training him up for his new home. He had absolutely NO training on him at all (no toilet training, no sit, no nothing!) and when we started working I realised how special he was. He was offering focus and attention on par with Jedi in the middle of a Flyball comp after being with me for 4 days!!! :eek: I couldn't give that up! He's a massive smoocher and he's just lapping up all the attention!

Edited by TerraNik

Maybe lower your criteria - back to sniff, click and treat. I did this with both of them. Took Zig AAAAGES to work out that it was chewing I didn't want. Em was on metal by the end of the first session. It's so much fun having a chalk and cheese pair :D

It's worth a shot!!! :thumbsup:

:( At herding yesterday one of the very highly regarded trialers/ judges put us through some paces while waiting around. Her words 'your no where near ready for CCD, she's a baby don't rush'

Argh :laugh: We were in sheep mode, and she knows I don't carry/ give rewards there, as the herding alone is rewarding enough to keep the drive. Totally different mindset, much less finesse and it's much more of a negative shaping. Normally she sees me put her remote reward out and hide her tug toy in a pocket. The only crossover between the herding and obedience is her marker word when she does something right.

6 weeks...6 weeks....... lol.

Congratulations to everyone with successes this weekend!