Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Really hoping that it won't be too long until we move up to Class One from Learners. Last week we were told our biggest thing (holding us from progressing) is hand signals. So this week we have focused on making my hand signals more clear and concise to her. I have been trying to make sure when I give the stand command that she just stands and doesn't move. At first she'd stand and move to get the treat as I was rewarding from the hand furthest from her. However I found that by rewarding from my left hand and just dropping it down to my side that she's starting to get the idea that I want her to just stand where she is.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a great training session with Daisy today, it was the first time doing a proper training session out of the house in weeks/months as I was really sick at the start of the year and training got put on the back burner.

The break seems to have done her well though as although we have stacks to work on she had a really nice attitude from the word go today. Let's hope it keeps up :thumbsup:

Entries close Friday August 17, 2012

WESTERNPORT OBEDIENCE DOG CLUB INC

OPEN OBEDIENCE TRIAL

KCC Park, 655 Westernport Hwy, Skye

SATURDAY 25 AUGUST, 2012

Entries to the Trial Secretary, Ms Sharon Campbell. PO Box 499, Pakenham 3810. PH 59 412 472 (no calls after 10pm).

Email: [email protected]

Cheques payable to Westernport Obedience Dog Club Inc.

** No late entries accepted **

THE Committee Reserves the right to Substitute Judges if entry is Excessive

Judges

CCD

Mr David Hutson

Novice

Ms Lorna Piper

Open

Mrs Heather Diamond / Mr Bernie Wilkinson

Utility

Mrs Lorraine McKay / Mr Frank Valastro

UDX

Mr Eddie Howden

VCA Rep

Mrs Gwenda Carr

Conditions of Entry: Separate form for each class. HAS in mm, including all titles.

Include SAE with entries if receipt is required.

Entry Fee: $12.00 ( includes catalog )

Check in time: 10.15 - 10.45am & vetting

Judging Time: 11.00am

Catering: Available

Awards: *Sash & Prize for Class winners.

*Ribbons for second and third placings

*Title Sashes & Qualifying ribbons.

* Highest scoring exhibit in trial - Sash ( CCD class not eligible ).

*Highest scoring Westernport Club Member - Sash

Proudly sponsored by Canidae

Any Additional Sponsors will be Detailed in the Catalog

Mmmm I am hoping Waldo will be ready by then-I better get my act in gear as I have NO excuse now. (DD was married 28.4 so my excuse is on her honeymoon)

Hey Murve - how come this trial schedule is out so early when the trial isn't until the 25th August? Is there anywhere we can look at earlier trial schedules?

to answer your question, the committee decided to start advertising early as we just missed the cutoff date for the Dogs Vic mag

this site has a lot of the Obed trials on :D good luck to everybody trialing this year :)

http://www.vicdog.com/trials.htm

Mmmm I am hoping Waldo will be ready by then-I better get my act in gear as I have NO excuse now. (DD was married 28.4 so my excuse is on her honeymoon)

You can do it Sue :D

And someone better get it on video for us! I wanna see the cutie Waldo strutting his stuff!!! thumbsup1.gif

We had a great training session today at the park- even had a slight distraction in the form of another dog in the distance to begin with. Complete opposite to Sunday when I was stressed/ Brennan was reactive and it was just not a good day. My stress is the biggest issue at times- I found out my lift to training is no longer continuing hence I need to put an advert in for a new ride to training or do the 80 minute walk to training. Hence I was stressed and that travelled down the leash and I had a dog barking at other dogs (which in turn had me getting embarrassed/ frustrated and made it worse :( ). Of course it was completely my fault for allowing my stress to travel down the lead/ handling it wrong. Had a break on Monday and resumed training today.

And someone better get it on video for us! I wanna see the cutie Waldo strutting his stuff!!! thumbsup1.gif

Yeah well Sir Cute Waldo has just eaten the inner part of my favourite walking shoes and "hidden" the inner soles. I will get a video of training should he live that long. (Payback for a sleep-in so while I was having a shower he had SO MUCH FUN!). Perhaps he thought I had forgotten his first birthday.

:rofl::rofl: Nice pay-back there Mr Waldo. :rofl:

Sorry Sue - if it makes you feel any better, I still don't know where on my acre of bush Mr Rory abandoned the nearly new trainer he kidnapped in his early days. :rofl:

:rofl::rofl: Nice pay-back there Mr Waldo. :rofl:

Sorry Sue - if it makes you feel any better, I still don't know where on my acre of bush Mr Rory abandoned the nearly new trainer he kidnapped in his early days. :rofl:

Got to love them!

I've gone completely blank and forgotten my role in Finishing. When told to leave my dog do I just step out nose to knees or is it like a recall and I walk off until told to about turn and holt? :confused:

What class are you doing ????

Opps sorry, I think I got myself confused since we generally practice our finishes seperately, I was thinking it was something that was always done by itself and have realised if my dog does his recall correctly then he is already in position for the finish :o.

Yeah that's what I'm referring too. I thought they were done at some point during a trial usually after the recall? Maybe I was outside in the cold too long and didn't know what I was on about but I kept thinking "finishes" were an exercise on there own, completely forgetting they were done at the end of another excercise until I read Murves last post. I blame the cold :p.