Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I've just spent the whole weekend in bed with a rotten cold. The cats had a rotating roster to keep me company of course and Mr TSD tried to maintain order. Em has spent most of the time on my bed. But no snuggling on the pillow was allowed. Well at least not when the cats had claimed it. And it's only because I'm sick mind you.

As I say, she's got me very well trained :)

Sounds like my well-trained mob. Ginger invites herself on the bed but only when feeling sick or in the aftermath of a dental. She knows the rules. And no-one on the bed before 5.30am. It used to be no-one on the bed but Ginger offered herself as a footwarmer. Who could refuse at 5.30 on a freezing morning? She's shaped me to perfection. I've learnt the value of flexibility, particularly when you're sick! :)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just spent the whole weekend in bed with a rotten cold. The cats had a rotating roster to keep me company of course and Mr TSD tried to maintain order. Em has spent most of the time on my bed. But no snuggling on the pillow was allowed. Well at least not when the cats had claimed it. And it's only because I'm sick mind you.

As I say, she's got me very well trained :)

Sounds like my well-trained mob. Ginger invites herself on the bed but only when feeling sick or in the aftermath of a dental. She knows the rules. And no-one on the bed before 5.30am. It used to be no-one on the bed but Ginger offered herself as a footwarmer. Who could refuse at 5.30 on a freezing morning? She's shaped me to perfection. I've learnt the value of flexibility, particularly when you're sick! :)

Exactly :laugh:

Guest Panzer Attack!

So we've got our beginners obedience assessment in a couple of weeks and I AM FREAKING DA FREAK OUT. I missed sooo many classes cos I was sick and we've got sooo much catching up to do!

For assessment he needs to be able to loose lead walk, sit still while a stranger approaches, meet & greet other dogs, sit stay, down stay, stand stay, recall off lead, go to heel position, get tethered and stay calm, do a trick, go to his mat and be examined, play with a toy and give it back on request, not eat until released AND wait while I go through a gate until he's released. *brain explodes*

So I'm having trouble with MOST of it... he's my first ever 'class' dog and it's HARD! lol

Loose lead walking - we were doing really well with this but then I got sick and now he's unlearned it. So I guess that's just a matter of pushing on, really. Le boy is helping me clicker him as I hunch over him if I'm watching cos he's so small.

Meet & greet other dogs - he is not the biggest fan of other dogs :( and if a dog gets too jumpy and excited he'll warn them. I don't want him to let huge dogs flatten him (it's happened before) so I don't really know what to do about this. He does not bite, just air-snaps/growls.

The mat thing - he's fine with going to his mat, but at the last class we had to roll the dogs over onto their backs to examine them :cry: I HATE doing this to him and he hates it too! I don't want to fail our examination but I also don't want to keep rolling him on his back, it feels so wrong. He's sorta OK with having ears, teeth etc checked, but I'm slowly working on him too. Has anyone else had to do this?!

Ok, I guess most of it's actually ok! It's kinda a relief writing it all down like this. He has some other problems but I know that's just due to lack of practice, so I'm workin' it.

Any advice would be amazing, I feel like such a failure at the moment! TWO WEEKS OMG WE ARE NOT GOING TO PASS. :cry:

EDIT: HOW DID I FORGET THE STAND, THE STAND IS SO HARD OH MY GOSH ARGGGHHHHH HE ALWAYS JUST PLUNKS HIS ASS DOWN.

Edited by Panzer Attack!

Heya PA :) It is very hard to pass assessment at dog club! (Im at the same one you are :p)

Dont be worried if you dont pass the first time, many people dont!

maybe talk to the assessors about the mat exercise?? If you can show you can examine him standing they may be happy with that?

Goodluck with it! Am sure others will chime in with some ideas :D

What is your end goal? Are all of these things basically why you are there, or do you want to go further in competition? What is the advantage of passing this assessment? It sounds both fantastic and incredibly difficult and daunting!!!! If your end goal is to have an obedient social dog then stay in the class and strive to be able to do all of this, the achievement would be your reward.

Personally my aims are different and one of my dogs would never pass that assessment, nor would I put him through that at dog club as it would be over threshold. If you have a dedicated agility club near you I would look at training him for that as the skills learnt are valuable and obtainable and a great outlet for an enthusiastic dog. :laugh:

So we've got our beginners obedience assessment in a couple of weeks and I AM FREAKING DA FREAK OUT. I missed sooo many classes cos I was sick and we've got sooo much catching up to do!

For assessment he needs to be able to loose lead walk, sit still while a stranger approaches, meet & greet other dogs, sit stay, down stay, stand stay, recall off lead, go to heel position, get tethered and stay calm, do a trick, go to his mat and be examined, play with a toy and give it back on request, not eat until released AND wait while I go through a gate until he's released. *brain explodes*

So I'm having trouble with MOST of it... he's my first ever 'class' dog and it's HARD! lol

Loose lead walking - we were doing really well with this but then I got sick and now he's unlearned it. So I guess that's just a matter of pushing on, really. Le boy is helping me clicker him as I hunch over him if I'm watching cos he's so small.

Meet & greet other dogs - he is not the biggest fan of other dogs :( and if a dog gets too jumpy and excited he'll warn them. I don't want him to let huge dogs flatten him (it's happened before) so I don't really know what to do about this. He does not bite, just air-snaps/growls.

The mat thing - he's fine with going to his mat, but at the last class we had to roll the dogs over onto their backs to examine them :cry: I HATE doing this to him and he hates it too! I don't want to fail our examination but I also don't want to keep rolling him on his back, it feels so wrong. He's sorta OK with having ears, teeth etc checked, but I'm slowly working on him too. Has anyone else had to do this?!

Ok, I guess most of it's actually ok! It's kinda a relief writing it all down like this. He has some other problems but I know that's just due to lack of practice, so I'm workin' it.

Any advice would be amazing, I feel like such a failure at the moment! TWO WEEKS OMG WE ARE NOT GOING TO PASS. :cry:

EDIT: HOW DID I FORGET THE STAND, THE STAND IS SO HARD OH MY GOSH ARGGGHHHHH HE ALWAYS JUST PLUNKS HIS ASS DOWN.

Wow, that does sound daunting! Our beginners are pretty much just expected to be able to demonstrate that they can train their dogs, not really having to perform specific behaviours (they're assessed in class).

Regarding the meeting another dog, do they actually have to meet, nose to nose? In our (higher levels) assessment we give the choice of whether the dogs actually meet or not. Many people choose simply to stop a metre or two away from the other person/dog, them move on. Surely your club can't expect every dog to do a meet and greet?

Also I don't like the sound of rolling a dog onto their back, I would never be able to do that with one of mine, ever. But if it's what you've got to work with, you could try teaching something like a "play dead", making it fun (I lured this) and use that...

I agree that is a long list for beginners.

I also agree with badazzled re: thinking what you want out of class. The list seems like a list of things you'd want a social, easy-to-live-with dog to be able to do. A nice thing to aim for, but is it what you want?

Re: the meet'n'greet, it is perfectly appropriate for him to warn large dogs who get in his face. That should be a pass IMO. Would he get a "fail" for that behaviour? If so, I'd find another school to be perfectly honest. Small dogs shouldn't have to be subjected to large dogs hurting/intimidating them to get a pass. My girl is fine in class and walks well next to others, works reliably off leash (she has never once broken from me) yet she wouldn't pass a meet'n'greet test if she has to say hello "nicely" to in-our-face dogs. I certainly don't expect her to and wouldn't put her through it.

Re: the stand. I've never taught my dogs that! I wouldn't know where to start. My aim is for them to:

* have good enough manners to be easy to live with (ticked that box, great off leash walking, they know "crate time", they aren't destroyers etc)

* do agility

I want Lucy to do more obedience because she can stay closer to me - which she likes - but I'm not going to force her to interact with strange dogs. I might try rally-O one day because you can encourage your dog and give them feedback on how they're doing, and she likes to know she's a "good girl".

Guest Panzer Attack!

Ok, I'll try to answer everyone, thank you for your quick responses!

Jrm88 - hey, I thought I saw you and Leo but want sure! Feel free to come say hi anytime :D its pretty full on huh!

Bedazzled - my end goal is to compete. This is the basic 1 class, so in Basic 2 & up the exercises get more formal. Once we've passed Basic 2 I believe it "unlocks" the other classes like agility and rally-o, but we are also enrolled in a dedicated agility class :) I can understand why others in my class would find all the exercises useful (as everyone's goals are obviously different) but I dunnae...

He is super drivey, which plays to our favor in agility but not so much in beginner obed, specially when much bigger dogs try to smack him over the head in an attempt to 'play' (so we now stand at the end of the line or between his friend. It makes me a bit upset that some of the dogs are not under effective control, but it's up to me to keep him out of danger. So many dog people don't understand that a Papillon is so fragile or looks/moves dangerously similar to a prey animal :(

Will continue in a sec, too hard on phone!

Edit: pressed post too soon. Oops!

Edited by Panzer Attack!

If that was the list to start agility or obedience, I'd never be able to start :). Which is a great pity, because both my dogs are pretty good IMO!

I think I know what club you're talking about and it is my understanding is that all you need to do to start agility is to demonstrate a few key behaviors (eg recall, heel for some reason, focus etc) and you don't actually have to go through the 2 classes. I think they have a list that they give you?

Guest Panzer Attack!

Here's the list, I'm probably interpreting it wrong: Basic Obedience 1

I love my club, I really do, don't get me wrong! :o I just want us to do well. Luke said that he and Barkly passed first time, and I want us to work as well as they do together. From what I'm reading on the site, if you don't pass the assessment first time, they put you back in Basic 1 for another 12 weeks... which would really suck! :laugh:

With the rolling over, wuffles, you're awesome, what a smashing idea! I can definitely put rolling onto his back on command, and then maybe he'd be more happy to be touched. We'll see. I'll ask my instructor next week if there are any passable alternatives though, because I really feel uncomfortable putting him in such a submissive position.

With the meet'n'greet, I'm so glad you agree with me megan_! When I saw your name I was like "yay, someone that will understand!" I hope Miss Lucy's feeling better :) It's more of a weave between dogs, so we all stand in a big circle and one at a time, a handler will weave their dog in and out in the 'line'. Some dogs get really in your face tho...

Aarrh!!! This is sooooo old fashioned!!!! That and paddock bashing was one of the reasons I took my dogs out of classes years ago! In order to play agility you really need some control off lead, recall off lead, a wait/stay and the ability for your dog to run and turn at kinda heel....

There is no way I would be forcing a meet and greet or a roll over to be examined.

I would have a quiet, respectful chat to the instructor and ask what are the minimum requirements to do agility....you may find its not so difficult. Most clubs, quite rightly, need to protect everyone doing agility and need some level of control. It is an exciting stimulating environment for any dog so I understand that requirement.

It's more of a weave between dogs, so we all stand in a big circle and one at a time, a handler will weave their dog in and out in the 'line'. Some dogs get really in your face tho...

Guest Panzer Attack!

Sorry bedazzled, I didn't say it clearly enough in my other post, we are in a dedicated agility club AS WELL as this club :D I want to pass the obedience classes at this club as well, as I want to compete in both agility and obedience, and I've never trialled a dog before, so the class environment has been super helpful!

I'm wondering if it would be worth putting the yellow bandana on him so other dogs will stop getting in his face, but I don't want anyone to think he's aggressive :(

Edit: sorry for the silly question, but what is "paddock bashing?"

Edited by Panzer Attack!

Aarrh!!! This is sooooo old fashioned!!!! That and paddock bashing was one of the reasons I took my dogs out of classes years ago! In order to play agility you really need some control off lead, recall off lead, a wait/stay and the ability for your dog to run and turn at kinda heel....

There is no way I would be forcing a meet and greet or a roll over to be examined.

I would have a quiet, respectful chat to the instructor and ask what are the minimum requirements to do agility....you may find its not so difficult. Most clubs, quite rightly, need to protect everyone doing agility and need some level of control. It is an exciting stimulating environment for any dog so I understand that requirement.

It's more of a weave between dogs, so we all stand in a big circle and one at a time, a handler will weave their dog in and out in the 'line'. Some dogs get really in your face tho...

the roll over to be examind is rubbish what if you want to Obed trial, Stand for Examination you need the dog to Stand not roll over & play DEAD :mad Total Fail, zero points

Weaving is good 'cause it teaches your dog to FOCUS on YOU not what is going on around you both, just like what we talked about on the weekend Emm :D

The club where I instruct we have our general training day from puppy class through to trial standard :) then we have one night per week where it is only for ppl who want to trial from CCD level & up,

trial night is really where the nitty gritty gets hammard into the handler to correct the handlers faults but at the same time we make it fun :D

Sorry I dont want to tread on toes here but I don't think people realize what an incredibly difficult thing weaving between dogs is. That is PhD stuff for dogs and it is usually taught in beginner class :eek: I don't know of any experienced trialler with high achieving dogs who does this with a youngster.