Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

PA I agree with what everyone else has said. I find the meet and greet part horrifying! My dog is not interested in other dogs (doesn't dislike them, but also doesn't like them.

Awww come on Bec Daisy couldn't resist playing with her boyfriend Styler :laugh:

OOPS double post

Edited by BC4ME

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PA I agree with what everyone else has said. I find the meet and greet part horrifying! My dog is not interested in other dogs (doesn't dislike them, but also doesn't like them.

Awww come on Bec Daisy couldn't resist playing with her boyfriend Styler :laugh:

She could totally resist him, unless we encouraged them LOL! He is the 1% of dogs she will actually show an interest in, handsome devil he is ;) Though how fast do they recall when we ask them to get back to work, no real value there :)

Edited by huski

Hi all. Hope this isn't too off topic...

I'm seeking expressions of interest for an 'online training club' (Rally-O & Obedience, but Agility as well if enough interest)

I have just moved to the country and am finding that the clubs nearby (i.e. the whole 2 clubs in a 200 km radius!) aren't quite what I am looking for (great people - but no food allowed, paddock bashing, long classes etc :( ). So...I am thinking of starting a small facebook group for people without a club nearby, or people unable to get to a training club.

My idea is that members can post comments and videos of themselves training and help critique the videos of others. Also, to encourage each other to keep going and provide advice when problems are encountered. Obviously for this to work there has to be enough interest, and some much more experienced trainers than me in the mix.

I would love to hear from anyone who is interested in joining this, and/or anyone who has had experience of doing this sort of thing (good/bad). Alternative suggestions on how to train effectively by yourself are also more than welcome!

Please PM me if you are keen or have any suggestions.

Cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone :)

Has anyone taught backwards heeling, and how did you do it? We need three steps for Rally Excellent. Ava will walk backwards but I cannot get her to go straight for the life of me :laugh: She's fine up against a wall but as soon as the barrier is gone she goes crooked again, and "resets" herself to heel position rather than staying there in the first place, if that makes sense.

Has anyone taught this by getting them to target something with their rear feet?

Her rear end awareness is good (moves her bum on turns), but not brilliant.

Has anyone taught backwards heeling, and how did you do it? We need three steps for Rally Excellent. Ava will walk backwards but I cannot get her to go straight for the life of me :laugh: She's fine up against a wall but as soon as the barrier is gone she goes crooked again, and "resets" herself to heel position rather than staying there in the first place, if that makes sense.

Has anyone taught this by getting them to target something with their rear feet?

I taught this using guides on the ground like broom sticks or if you have a very exuberant dog like mine lengths of 2x4 or star pickets were a bit sturdier. Dog inside the channel you on the other side, keep the sticks really close together so if your dog starts to twist out they will stand on the guide which they won't want to do. And start really slowly, only look for a tiny bit of backwards movement to start with and gradually increase until you can get several full steps.

I taught this using guides on the ground like broom sticks or if you have a very exuberant dog like mine lengths of 2x4 or star pickets were a bit sturdier. Dog inside the channel you on the other side, keep the sticks really close together so if your dog starts to twist out they will stand on the guide which they won't want to do. And start really slowly, only look for a tiny bit of backwards movement to start with and gradually increase until you can get several full steps.

Thanks Seita, sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Split it down. Firstly can she do a double left about turn on the spot? That will get her bum in. Heeling is heeling...left leg moves, dog should move with it. Soooo... see if you can take one step forward with your left leg but plant your right foot....does she move forward with your left leg? If not then thats what you work on first. If yes then can she heel one step lateraly?.... Can you now plant your right foot and take one step backwards? That is the beginning of it and you build it up literally step by step asking for perfect heel position. :thumbsup:

Split it down. Firstly can she do a double left about turn on the spot? That will get her bum in. Heeling is heeling...left leg moves, dog should move with it. Soooo... see if you can take one step forward with your left leg but plant your right foot....does she move forward with your left leg? If not then thats what you work on first. If yes then can she heel one step lateraly?.... Can you now plant your right foot and take one step backwards? That is the beginning of it and you build it up literally step by step asking for perfect heel position. :thumbsup:

This is how Amber does it. She has such a strong understanding of heel that I just walked backwards and back she went. No teaching 'backwards' at all. So cute.

I taught my boy to walk backward about 5 steps beside me (heal position)by luring. He starts in a stand on your left side. Held a treat with my left hand behind his left ear, almost over his left shoulder while I kept my left leg up close to his right shoulder. He stepped back with his left leg and I also stepped back with my left to keep his body from swinging around. At first he also turned his head left toward the treat. After I worked it up to 4-5 steps I phased out the lure and used my left hand sweeping backward over his left shoulder as a cue. His reward then came from my right hand at the end which stopped him turning his head.

backwards heeling -

For us it was a combination of heel, flip finish (when dog flips their bum from front to left without going behind you), and backwards "back back" when she was facing me and in front.

So I have the "back back" away from me, from in front facing me...

And the flip finish - and I'd move so she'd have to do it again, and I'd take a small step back and ask for the flip finish again and say "back back"... reward in position.

It was harder to get it on the right - because she'd spin her bum out so she was facing me - or go back around to the left (high value for left). But she's getting it now. So we're working on a sit with her in front of me - and facing away from me - eg her bum practically on my feet (she does find this comfy even if I don't - bony hocked dog), and then go "back back" with her between my legs. We've got forwards but when I ask for backwards - she spins around to face me...

it's a fun game to do when I can't let her off lead at the park (sport, uncontrollable treat dispensing ladies, school lunch trash in the playground etc).

Thanks for that :) She can do left about turns, I haven't tried double. She does sometimes reset herself to heel position rather than moving with me completely so I definitely need to build her understanding that she needs to stay there the whole time, rather than just find it at the end. She will follow my leg forwards but not backwards (she sits). I'll play around with this tonight, I understand what you mean with planting the foot and the turns :thumbsup: I think it's time to get the phone book out for some revision...

Mrs Rusty Bucket, she can already walk backwards beside me if I ask her to, but not straight (swings out, not in).

Trick is to only reward what you want... Or at least progressions towards what you want.

The trick is finding a way to encourage the right movement so you actually can get what you want. That's what I'm having trouble with, not the actual teaching part.

Last night I tried the channel method quickly, but she didn't care if she was walking on the objects and almost thought that was the aim. Perhaps I could teach her to walk on a tightrope :rofl:

So I started trying to get her to move with my left leg backwards using static turns, which I think will work if I give it time :thumbsup:

Wuffles you could try a wall, then what I use is if you have a corridor with a wall + door openings you just keep backing past the door opening and click if they remain in the correct position.The other thing I have used in the past is a touch stick but on the outside of hind end to keep her in. So long as Ava tolerates that sort of pressure it might be something else worth a try.

Edited by ness

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys :) I am looking at starting to teach Hudson some basic obedience to hopefully get a chance to trial one day. I have never competed in obedience or even had the chance to see an obedience trial, and I am not sure where to start.

Is there a good website or good book which goes through the basic moves required and how to start teaching them?

Hey guys :) I am looking at starting to teach Hudson some basic obedience to hopefully get a chance to trial one day. I have never competed in obedience or even had the chance to see an obedience trial, and I am not sure where to start.

Is there a good website or good book which goes through the basic moves required and how to start teaching them?

I would start by going to a dog obedience club near you and having a look see.

To have a taste do a youtube search for ccd trials.

this is what I did BUT I OFFER THIS WARNING:

such searches can lead to an addictive hobby.

Good Luck-let's know how you go.