Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I have started attempting the 2x2 weave training with hudson :) Just have to get some higher value treats to try tomorrow as will soon have to add the 2nd set of poles into the equation!

He is doing pretty well so far, you could tell in the 2nd session (today) that it was starting to click that - oh, I go 'between' the poles.. haha Just to get better entrances from further behind the poles, I can't get past 180 degrees so far, but I am willing to take the time with him until he gets it. :D

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im hopeing to get my Border collie girl into agility this year :) Mainly been focusing on getting good focus, stays and recall, hand touchs, circle work and rear end awareness. Im so proud of how she is doing :D Just waiting on my copy of crate games to arrive and i'll be working on that as well.

I have started attempting the 2x2 weave training with hudson :) Just have to get some higher value treats to try tomorrow as will soon have to add the 2nd set of poles into the equation!

He is doing pretty well so far, you could tell in the 2nd session (today) that it was starting to click that - oh, I go 'between' the poles.. haha Just to get better entrances from further behind the poles, I can't get past 180 degrees so far, but I am willing to take the time with him until he gets it. :D

:thumbsup: Sounds like a good start.

Will he play with a toy? One that you can throw? My experience with 2x2 is that it is very much easier with a thrown toy.

We are doing the same E+H. Im about to add the second set of poles with my little Aussie. :)

I have also had it suggested that a tennis ball cut open and stuffed with treats is a nice one to throw. I haven't tried it yet but just bought some tennis balls so that is the plan for this weekend.

Training is all going well here! Have some important dates this year... First tracking trial in February, there are two CD tests in March, we start agility in April and then working trials in November!

For agility we're doing well with handling skills, distance work and just started directional commands. Up to 4 poles.in a row for 2x2, and just had third running contact training session.

For obedience our heelwork is improving and have taught everything for CD (stand for exam, retrieve, drop on recall, scents, stay, heel)... Now to proof it all!!!

Tracking is going best! Did an awesome 500m long blind hill track with no food in crazy winds the other day and Elsie was amazing :-) bring on 2013!

Edited by DiscoDobe

There are some things I train with food to start with, and then go to using prey items like balls or a tug for the ultimate reward once the dog has a better understanding of the new behaviour. Dogs also need to learn how to think through arousal, this is where a good understanding of how the 'game' works comes in handy! :)

He was improved again tonight when it comes to the entrance between two poles now. :) Can go further than 180 degrees when he is coming around my right into the entrance, but can hardly get further than straight onto the poles when he comes from my left.. obviously need to improve that side a bit!!

Put a couple of jumps back up and the end of the session, have not done any jump work for a while and he did surprisingly well given our break.

Going to the trainers on Friday night to use the tunnels and contact equiptment, so that will be a nice change in the routine for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good week training wise this week. Started training scent work with some scent tubes which was very exciting and can't wait to do more over the next few days. Wiz did some super heelwork for me under distraction the other day which was awesome. She was a bit forward but that's easily fixed, was just so happy with her attitude and work ethic. Loving training at the moment :)

I do :) And she is learning with me.. At this stage we will be going to our first competition together, she is an experienced trainer, but not as experienced with agility competition.

But I can only get to her once every week or two when our schedules work out, looking to continue training in the backyard.

For agility, I'd look into the online courses run by Greg derrett (ultimateagility.com) or Susan Garrett. With the web you can get access to the best trIners in the world. I train at a really great club but still get some advice that I wouldn't follow from instructors.

You can sign up for the email notification when they start up. They are interactive bourses so they aren't up all the time. The derrett courses are pretty exe though. The other alternative is daisy peel (who uses Linda mickelbergs handling system). Her courses seem to be cheaper at about $170 a pop.

O have dome foundations DVDs that I'm happy up lend you if you PM me an address to post them to.

whitka - I know Fly isn't a puppy (she's very pretty - and looks smart BTW :) ), but one of the good DVDs around at the moment is the Mary Ellen Barry one, Foundation Fundamentals - aimed at puppies - but foundation is foundation, and IMHO, it's really important to develop the good foundation handling before you try to work on equipment. The obstacles are actually the relatively easy bit (well, weavers apart). As Greg Derrett says, agility is about running with your dog - the obstales are just speed bumps - the steering and teamwork are the real key. (Wish I'd known that when I started with Kirra. :laugh: ). The other important thing IMO, is helping the dog to learn to jump properly and independently. I really like the Susan Salo method.

Thanks Tassie she is alot fun and picks up on things so quick :) I'll add those to my ever growing list. I have a feeling agility is going to turn out to be an expensive hobby :laugh: Just got to work things out with the post office so I can get my other dvds that ive been waiting for weeks to get :mad

Edited by whitka