Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Kyky, glad you found an answer. I read your initial post but didn't have time to reply at the time, and intended to come back and see if I could provide any tips if nobody else had. Feel free to ask if you need further help, there are lots of knowledgeable trainers in here!

Edited by RubyStar

Does anyone know where to find the details on Greg Derrett's online courses are, when they start and how much? The website takes me to a password only page and can't get any more details on it?

Check out Daisy Peel's online classroom too - she follows the Awesome Paws system which is a bit different to Greg Derrett - But I can highly recommend the Foundation agility course. I found it very useful in teaching me some basics without a teacher. Also check out Agility University too. Their working spots are pretty expensive but the auditing spots are reasonable and they have lots to choose from.

I did a few training sessions today working on distraction work, heaps of fun! what is everyone's favorite distractions to test your dog with?

I like to do heeling at the park next to the school during lunch breaks and after school. It is good to arrive just before the bell so Waldo gets the excited kids running out of class.

I have to work on boring stays though because if he has something to watch he is fine. He goes to sleep if nothing is happening-not good for sit stays!

I am on the hunt for a good place to take Wiz with lots of ducks around as I think that would be a good environment to test her in! She had a squeaky toy thrown in her face squeaking at the same time tonight and she didn't even flinch or break eye contact for a milisecond. Very happy with how conditioning her to distractions is coming along, we only started distraction work a few days ago. She seems to be enjoying the challenge of it.

• 2 months later...

:laugh: Well I'll pop in here, Jules. Yep - still doing obedience - in among Rally, agility and the occasional show. Think I'm some sort of addicted :laugh: .

Pleased with my lil big man Rory this weekend. Double Rally trial yesterday - both my kids got 2 more legs towards their RAE titles - Princess Feral - my agility girl Kirra - still needs 6 legs - but is doing OK for a girl who doesn't believe in obeddience - I'm sure she thinks Rally is some perverted form of agility :rofl: . Rory just needs one more leg.

Today - double obedience - Rory did some nice work in Open - couple of booboos both am and pm - but although they cost big time, were not major training issues. But best of all - did lovely solid stays - and he was in the middle of the line (albeit between trusted dogs). I don't even wnat to whisper this, but I think ( :crossfingers: , touch wood and all that) the concept of "stay" may finally have arrived in the boy brain. :rofl: I was so happy with him this afternoon, because even after a long weekend of trialling/sitting round in his trolley - he was bouncy and happy and enjoying the game. I'm loving obedience with this boy - thanks to the attitude and play/component training techniques I've learned from Mary Ray, Sue Hogben, Kamal Fernandez - and of course the other WA gurus - Ptolomy and Bedazzledx2

Well done on your rally legs Tassie! Glad you are enjoying training Rory.

I am doing rally training with Poppy, she seems to be enjoying it. My club is doing pretty well with a couple of members now having their RAE titles.

Seeing as Amber is still around I started to do a bit of training with her whilst waiting for Poppy turns in Rally. She really wanted to work! I was pleased and surprised as she totally turned off when she got sick. I have been gently training for a week and am rapt in how she is going. Much more bouncy then any of my other dogs have been. Pretty happy about it.

Great news JulesP firstly that Amber is still around and that Poppy is enjoying rally.

I am still around trying to cure my seekback obsessed Soggybear from looking for her seekback in every UD exercise and trying to get 2 more UDX legs with the Occasionally Clever one. Also dabbling a bit in retrieving and doing rally, now have 3 out of the 4 going for RAE which makes life just a little bit easier when they are all doing the same course.

I was wondering about this thread. We have had a bit of a setback as Waldo has had a soft tissue injury in his right hind leg. He is now on the mend. We have done heaps of stationery training. We were as bored as each other! laugh.gif I am now concentrating on Rally and hope to be in the Novice Ring soon.

We're still around :) Trying to fit training in when I can, which isn't as often as I'd like! Have been trying to get Ruby's first pass in UD and have been getting very close, but no cigar. Have been training Millie for UD too. Girls dabble in Rally occasionally, but it's not a priority for me. They are one leg each off their RE, and not sure when our next trial will be! We still trial in agility but don't really train in it, much! Am also trying to get Ruby back to retrieving, so hopefully will trial again this year :crossfingers: I have been focusing a lot on Pippa's agility and obedience, she's coming along nicely :)

Sorry to hear about Waldo, Sue. Hope the little fella is on the mend soon! Great to hear about Amber, Jules! thumbsup1.gif And well done, Tassie!! Ptolomy, 3 of your kids going for RAE may be easier course wise, but I can't imagine it being easy cost wise! laugh.gif

We're still around :) Trying to fit training in when I can, which isn't as often as I'd like! Have been trying to get Ruby's first pass in UD and have been getting very close, but no cigar. Have been training Millie for UD too. Girls dabble in Rally occasionally, but it's not a priority for me. They are one leg each off their RE, and not sure when our next trial will be! We still trial in agility but don't really train in it, much! Am also trying to get Ruby back to retrieving, so hopefully will trial again this year :crossfingers: I have been focusing a lot on Pippa's agility and obedience, she's coming along nicely :)

Sorry to hear about Waldo, Sue. Hope the little fella is on the mend soon! Great to hear about Amber, Jules! thumbsup1.gif And well done, Tassie!! Ptolomy, 3 of your kids going for RAE may be easier course wise, but I can't imagine it being easy cost wise! laugh.gif

Waldo would be a OC in avoiding swallowing tablets! I have entered Sunbury Rally next weekend and a Pass will give us our RA title.

:thanks: for reviving the thread, Jules. That's great that you;re able to do some stuff with Amber - bet weh's loving it, bless her. And yes, your club is really leading the way with Rally successes in your neck of the woods.

now have 3 out of the 4 going for RAE which makes life just a little bit easier when they are all doing the same course.
:laugh: - it would when your guys (presumably) have similar cues. My problem is remembering which dog I have with me - Rory is fine - well except for a couple of exercises, where using the right cue matters .. but the feral agility princess has different cues (and of course is always ready to helfully throw in some Freestyle moves :laugh: ). But it's all good fun.

:crossfingers: for you and Waldo at Sunbury, Sue&Waldo - sorry to hear he's been restricted a bit - that would be frustrating for both of you.

RS - :thanks: for posting that cat video - how awesome was the kitten - and the girl training. That was just lovely!

I just love that our dogs can have fun and be successful in a variety of disciplines.

No worries Tassie :) Nice to see everyone is still around.

It is pretty funny watching the agility dogs have a go at Rally, especially over the jump! Poppy loves it because I can talk to her. I love that I don't have to worry about stays and her eating other dogs! She did do perfect stays though yesterday so I think the rally and dog walking is helping her.

Amber is super bouncy to train. Lots of anticipation! She isn't so fussed about pleasing me but is very food driven.

Hope Waldo is feeling better soon Sue.

Edited by JulesP