Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Kenz came out of retirement briefly to enter and pass two Rally Advanced legs last weekend but her days of doing anything much are very very limited :cry:. No more obedience trialling for her.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JulesP - will talk more today about this....but if a dog can do nice heel work, has good rear end awareness etc would I be completely crazy to enter them in a Novice Rally trial with limited training? There is a Group 3 agility/rally trial coming up and I like to support them as much as possible - it's always a really well run trial, very friendly and good sponsorship. I'll enter Em in novice agility and excellent jumping but I was wondering about Rally.......I've just got so much on at the moment that I'm not sure what chance I'll have to get to training on Sundays.

I threw Gabby in a Rally trial at the end of last year to sort out Gabby in the ring cause she started this sometimes I will stand for the retrieve on the flat and sometimes I will sit cause you cant say nothing so I just put her in rally with no training at all. I just had to look at the signs and had someone to tell what was what lol First one she got `100 she was very surprised that I could speak in the ring lol. The next one she decided it wasnt a trial and wasnt as focused but mom stuffed it up couldnt read a sign properly and we got an 86 lol Havent got back to another one since lol

TSD - nope - not crazy at all - but you should do some training yourself on reading and interpreting the signs :laugh: . Friend just got her RN with her 12 year old BC - obedience trained through to CDX, but hasn't done it for years. She was a bit disappointed that she'd cost him 10 points in his third pass, by not finishing him on the Call Front Finish left sign :rofl: .

As well as getting the rules from the ANKC site, you'll find a couple of great downloads

- just scroll right down to the bottom of the Downloads section, and you'll see Rally information. You can print off some signs (I laminate them on a cheapo home laminator) and set them up on some cheapo clipboards - voila! :D

TSD - nope - not crazy at all - but you should do some training yourself on reading and interpreting the signs :laugh: . Friend just got her RN with her 12 year old BC - obedience trained through to CDX, but hasn't done it for years. She was a bit disappointed that she'd cost him 10 points in his third pass, by not finishing him on the Call Front Finish left sign :rofl: .

As well as getting the rules from the ANKC site, you'll find a couple of great downloads

- just scroll right down to the bottom of the Downloads section, and you'll see Rally information. You can print off some signs (I laminate them on a cheapo home laminator) and set them up on some cheapo clipboards - voila! :D

:rofl: You linked me to the cat agility clip!!!

Thanks Tassie :thanks: The stations don't look too hard (for Em not me!!) but I will need to teach a traditional finish - she likes her flip.....points off for leaping a foot into the air before landing in heel position? :laugh:

Now that I've finally started training the traditional finish with Pippa, we might consider Rally at some stage. Haven't taught her the old LAT, though!

For a dog with good heeling it isn't really an issue. It is more teaching the handler what the signs mean and the various quirks to rally! Some of the signs are performed in front of the sign (change of direction) and some are done next to the sign and a couple can be done after!

For a dog with good heeling it isn't really an issue. It is more teaching the handler what the signs mean and the various quirks to rally! Some of the signs are performed in front of the sign (change of direction) and some are done next to the sign and a couple can be done after!

Yes! That's what I suspected :o

:rofl: I blame RS - had copied the link to send to friends. :thanks:

OK TSD - try Second time lucky! - that should be the right one. And go for it!

xena98 - can just imagine the look on Gabby's face when you spoke to her in what must have looked a bit like an obedience trial :laugh:

Hi Tassie

Yep well we were competing at an "obedience trial" lol and open and ud were still going so Gabby thought we were in another obedience class. The look on her face was so funny the second trial though nothing was on except rally and do you think I could get her focussed on me nope so I was too busy trying to get her focussed. I'm not good at reading signs and working dog and talking dog all at the same time :rofl:

:rofl: xena98 - know what you mean - and if I look towards a sign to check if it's finish left or finish right - the Rory man takes that as a cue and will finishe right anyway - of course that day it was actually a finish left. :laugh:.

Ness - you're so right - and judges are always so keen to point out who actually lost the points. :rofl:

TSD - it's worth doing some practice with signs on clipboards for some of the signs, to work ouit where you need to be in relation to the sign - especially to make sure you're giving the dog room to do the move without clipping the sign, or tipping a cone. So when you do a walk through (you have 10 minutes to walk through the couirse before the class starts), make sure you have your appropriately sized imaginary dog with you - so you'd need to allow a bit more room for Zig than for Em.

Only a paw lift on the flip finish :laugh: - Rory jumps into those - and into the Advanced/Excellent sign - stationary side step right - haven't been pinged for it yet - he does it in obedience as well.

Great to see the thread bumped! We are still loving training here and at the moment everything feels like its coming together really nicely. I have a lot more bruises from training Wiz than I did training Daisy (LOL) but it is loads of fun.

Speaking of finishes. Does anyone have a preference for what they train or do you find your dogs prefer one over the other? Daisy was taught to do both but I prefer the flip so Wiz has only been taught a flip finish.

I prefer the left/flip finish as Elsie really enjoys it and does it with a big bounce, but it's only used in rally here not obedience boooo! Have to do a right (go around the back) finish for obedience.

We're still plugging away with training, really need to start building up duration in the heel work if we want to enter a working trial in November... It seems such a long way off, but I know it will come around soon! Send aways are coming along nicely, and scent and dumbbell work still hasn't fallen apart, so won't mess with it too much! Stays are happening slowly, I don't like stay training, I feel bad for making Elsie spend that much of her park time just sitting there being bored waiting for me to reappear LOL

I have taught and use both. I find if I keep Kenz guessing she presents much squarer because she doesn't predict which way she is going to be sent. You also need both finishes if you compete in Rally :thumbsup:.