Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ROFL Ptolomy. It's so important to have the colour theme going - of course, it's easier when you have black and whites - knew there was a good reason for sticking with BCs :rofl: .

xena98 - Here's the basic Youtube I used to get started.

And this is a preview of one of Michele Pouliot's dvds

She's using an aerobics step, but the home made ones with the dense foam tiles.

You can start with ones that are slightly bigger than the space the dog takes up standing - but then as the dog progresses, you can go to smaller ones, so that the dog is required to really be precise in placement of sits etc.

The height of the platform is not super critical - needs to be enough to give feedback to the dog when s/he's off it. Seems to me the principles of the training are to allow the dog to train its muscle memory for getting into accurate positions. (It's also really good to sharpen up handlers, who've been "near enough is good enough" about straight sits, stands etc. :laugh: )

I use 2 platforms - both lengthwise - one in front of me, one at the left side - just touching in the corner immediately in front of my left foot - to train the stationary call front Rally exercise, and sharpen up finishes - both left and right.

I also use a platform for the COP.

Have fun.

Cheers for the platform links! I think I need to start platform work with Pippa, her fronts are atrocious and I am finding it more difficult to teach her the correct position than teaching the Labs due to her size. Right now it is "near enough is good enough", but I want to perfect it :) Her stands at heel could do with straightening up too I think! Now to find a spare weekend to make a platform embarrass.giflaugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Working on some heeling in the park today, Elsie is very bouncy at the moment!

http://youtu.be/aezKANScIFM

Love happy heeling. :D Noticed you had your rewards in your R/H pocket -wondered if that was why her head was slightly across? (Being really, really picky there :)) . Do you mix and match - sometimes get the food from your LH pocket. And I forgot to notice which hand you rewarded her from.

Rory practised his sit stay Monday evening, while I did a bit of disc and platform work with Kirra - she so needs more. But it was good for him - and he didn't drop out of the sit!

I need to make smaller platforms now, especially for Kirra, so that she has to be straight - so just enough room for her - and think I'll make them 4 layers high.

I was thinking of you RS at a Rally workshop we had here on Saturday. I was showing people how we use platforms especially for the call front/finish signs - and borrowed my friend's little Mini Sachnauzer. She was OTT, but settled down after a while (good opportunity to demonstrate waiting the dog out to reduce food mugging :D .) They're certainly different, aren't they.

Working on some heeling in the park today, Elsie is very bouncy at the moment!

http://youtu.be/aezKANScIFM

Love happy heeling. :D Noticed you had your rewards in your R/H pocket -wondered if that was why her head was slightly across? (Being really, really picky there :)) . Do you mix and match - sometimes get the food from your LH pocket. And I forgot to notice which hand you rewarded her from.

Ahhhhh thank you!! Good thought! Go on, be picky! I don't train with anyone, so need internet people to point out what I am ruining :p Will absolutely mix it up more, last thing Elsie needs is any reason to forge LOL.

I reward with a ball usually, get it out of my pocket and throw it, or send her back to the training bag to get it and then I throw it :p If I use food I reward from the left hand, but I probably always reward with a toy from my right as I'm right handed hm... Something to think about for sure...

I think you should be really happy with her (and you). It is hard on your own.

If she tends to forge, then I'd try rewarding with the ball thrown behind you and probably slightly to the side with your left hand - doesn't have to be big throw - releasing her to get it with your release word. and see if you can put the ball somewhere other than your right pocket. Food rewards I'd be giving in position - with left hand - making sure that as you feed, your hand is in such a position that her head is exactly where you want it to be - if you see what I mean.

I think you should be really happy with her (and you). It is hard on your own.

If she tends to forge, then I'd try rewarding with the ball thrown behind you and probably slightly to the side with your left hand - doesn't have to be big throw - releasing her to get it with your release word. and see if you can put the ball somewhere other than your right pocket. Food rewards I'd be giving in position - with left hand - making sure that as you feed, your hand is in such a position that her head is exactly where you want it to be - if you see what I mean.

I do know what you mean thanks :) I get slack on these things so quickly, must remember correct reward placement... I need to put a sticky note on her ball I think!

She has a really nice happy attitude DD! If she likes balls you could also look at using a magnetic ball, I often use mine in heelwork and I find it really helps make reward placement really precise. The dog also stops cueing off your body language as it can't look to your arm/hand/pocket etc to see if you are going to reward them (not sure if that makes sense?)

Edited by huski

She has a really nice happy attitude DD! If she likes balls you could also look at using a magnetic ball, I often use mine in heelwork and I find it really helps make reward placement really precise. The dog also stops cueing off your body language as it can't look to your arm/hand/pocket etc to see if you are going to reward them.

Thanks - she is a FUN dog to work with, always wanting more and always wagging her tail :)

I've never heard of a magnetic ball, off to look that up now! I have been trying to find a good bait bag that I could fit a ball in that could go behind me, but have had no luck... Magnetic ball sounds awesome though!

She has a really nice happy attitude DD! If she likes balls you could also look at using a magnetic ball, I often use mine in heelwork and I find it really helps make reward placement really precise. The dog also stops cueing off your body language as it can't look to your arm/hand/pocket etc to see if you are going to reward them.

Thanks - she is a FUN dog to work with, always wanting more and always wagging her tail :)

I've never heard of a magnetic ball, off to look that up now! I have been trying to find a good bait bag that I could fit a ball in that could go behind me, but have had no luck... Magnetic ball sounds awesome though!

They are really handy if you have a ball driven dog, I still use a tug as well for heel work sometimes depending on what we are doing. This is how I use the ball with Wiz;

This was in the early stages of training heel work, her position is much tidier now, but shows you how you can use the magnetic ball 'hands free'. The dog has to focus on your face because the only cue they will get to release to a reward is from your voice. You should be able to find other videos on YouTube too!

Edited by huski

They are really handy if you have a ball driven dog, I still use a tug as well for heel work sometimes depending on what we are doing. This is how I use the ball with Wiz;

This was in the early stages of training heel work, her position is much tidier now, but shows you how you can use the magnetic ball 'hands free'. The dog has to focus on your face because the only cue they will get to release to a reward is from your voice. You should be able to find other videos on YouTube too!

Thanks - that looks really good, I will have to get myself a magnetic ball I think, what a fabulous idea! I was trying to work out if I could stick velcro to Elsies chuckit and to my back... Magnet is a much better idea.

Thanks RubyStar - we are entered in CD in a few weeks time, hopefully it all goes well! My other concern is her retrieve at the moment, on occasion she is launching at me on the return instead of sitting in front, but its a very random occurrence... Better not bloody happen in the CD trial! The only time she did something similar was on the recall at nationals, she came flying in at a crazy speed and instead of sliding to a front and finish as usual she launched at me from about 3 metres away and almost knocked me over... Little sh*t hahahaha

:rofl: DD - don't know how your scoring system works over there - but here it's a minor deduction - so about 0-4 points off - assuming the dog - a) doesn't drop the DB, and b) bounces off you and back into a sit :laugh:

Don't know if huski has already told you, but you can read about the magnetic reward system here.

I haven't tried it personally - if I'm using anything other than food, I have a small tuggy, or a ball on a rope that I can stick in a pocket , or tuck into the back of my pants/trousers.

I was good last night - made the couple of Kirra size platforms so I can do some neatening work with her. :D But on the down side, I dropped and of course broke, the nice heavy straight sided terracotta drinking bowl that I had been using as a disc. :( Now I'll have to figure out/find something else.

:rofl: DD - don't know how your scoring system works over there - but here it's a minor deduction - so about 0-4 points off - assuming the dog - a) doesn't drop the DB, and b) bounces off you and back into a sit :laugh:

Don't know if huski has already told you, but you can read about the magnetic reward system here.

I haven't tried it personally - if I'm using anything other than food, I have a small tuggy, or a ball on a rope that I can stick in a pocket , or tuck into the back of my pants/trousers.

Good point, I think it would be the same here, a minor deduction as long as she does sit without an extra command :)

We need to pass with at least 90% of points in all exercises to get the CDX (recall to heel, drop on recall, heel off lead, temperament test, retrieve, scent discrimination, sit stay 1 minute, stand stay 1 minute, down stay 5 minutes handler out of sight)

I sometimes put a tug in the back of my pants too, but after one go with it Elsie turns it into a horrible dribbly mess blech!

Boo about the terracotta bowl!!

Thanks - that looks really good, I will have to get myself a magnetic ball I think, what a fabulous idea! I was trying to work out if I could stick velcro to Elsies chuckit and to my back... Magnet is a much better idea.

Yeah the magnets are awesome, you can put them any where really, on your hip, shoulder, under your chin to work on fronts etc. I still use a tug a lot, but the ball is really useful.

Good luck with the CD trial! I would love to get back into the trial ring soon, but I am not sure we will make it in the ring before Wiz (hopefully) has her litter later this year. I still have so much to finish training/polishing/proofing :laugh: