Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I have a new training challenge! I've convinced Mr TSD to let me teach him the agility basics with Zig. So...in between training Em tonight we worked with Zig on some tugging, start line stays and circle work. It was so much fun - Zig was really focussed and Mr TSD started to relax and enjoy himself. His coordination and timing are not his strong points so the big challenge was getting him not to worry when he mucked up. Ziggy is so resilient now that a few stuffed up commands don't phase him - really interesting to watch him take more notice of the physical cues than the verbal ones. Mr TSD couldn't work out why he wouldn't return to heel on the right until I realised his hand signal was pulling him left. Mr TSD has the dogs for a month whilst I go overseas again so hopefully this will keep them ALL entertained!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys - are there any DVD's you found useful when first starting out in obedience?

I am having a lot of trouble doing this on my own.. I have never done obedience before and I am now working with an 18mth dog who knows some basics, is VERY smart and I know would be awesome if I could get myself together and actually teach him properly!!

I am struggling with heeling training.. getting that nice close focused heel and also with the sits, drops and stands that come with it!

I know I am probably not doing it right or going about it the right way.. but I don't know how to start!

Hey guys - are there any DVD's you found useful when first starting out in obedience?

I am having a lot of trouble doing this on my own.. I have never done obedience before and I am now working with an 18mth dog who knows some basics, is VERY smart and I know would be awesome if I could get myself together and actually teach him properly!!

I am struggling with heeling training.. getting that nice close focused heel and also with the sits, drops and stands that come with it!

I know I am probably not doing it right or going about it the right way.. but I don't know how to start!

Do you have any training clubs or trainers near you who are good at obedience? Or even know of any experienced triallers who could give you a bit of one on one help to get you started?

Before training anything else I work on getting good engagement and focus. Once you have that, teaching each command is a lot easier because you have a dog that is focused, wants to work with you, enjoys it and understands how to earn rewards from you.

With heelwork search on Youtube for back end awareness videos - it will help teach positioning for heelwork.

I'm still training my first trialling dog and to be honest, I wouldn't have had a clue if it wasn't for my local obedience club. I've pretty much used trial and error (my poor dog!) using advice from heaps of different sources - old school triallers, crossover trainers, positive trainers, brainstorming with newbies like myself, advice from DOL, online research and troubleshooting with trusted friends.

Sorry that's not entirely helpful but I just don't know if I would have been able to do it with all that hands on help. It will be easier with my next dog.

We are having lots of fun with heelwork at the moment, still have lots to do and working on maintaining the position I want consistently and working on my handling but I am happy with how we are progressing. 2013 should be a fun year for obedience!

No club nearby unfortunately.. minimum 2 hour drive to get to the closest, and it just isn't feasible after work.

Thanks though, I will have a look at youtube some more and look into the michael ellis dvds. Hudson is pretty focused when we are training, and he learns tricks quickly. :D

I have a new training challenge! I've convinced Mr TSD to let me teach him the agility basics with Zig. So...in between training Em tonight we worked with Zig on some tugging, start line stays and circle work. It was so much fun - Zig was really focussed and Mr TSD started to relax and enjoy himself. His coordination and timing are not his strong points so the big challenge was getting him not to worry when he mucked up. Ziggy is so resilient now that a few stuffed up commands don't phase him - really interesting to watch him take more notice of the physical cues than the verbal ones. Mr TSD couldn't work out why he wouldn't return to heel on the right until I realised his hand signal was pulling him left. Mr TSD has the dogs for a month whilst I go overseas again so hopefully this will keep them ALL entertained!

Two of the books/DVDs I reccommend to my puppy buyers are

1-Train Your Dog Like a Pro by Jean Donaldson an EXCELLENT DVD comes with book It is VERY easy to follow & the methods are rewards/clicker or "YES" & food based The methods WORK!!! www.dogwisedog&catbooks.com

2-Dog Training the Gentle Modern Method by David Weston Hyland House Pub. Australia

1-Train Your Dog Like a Pro by Jean Donaldson an EXCELLENT DVD comes with book It is VERY easy to follow & the methods are rewards/clicker or "YES" & food based The methods WORK!!! www.dogwisedog&catbooks.com

2-Dog Training the Gentle Modern Method by David Weston Hyland House Pub. Australia

I love "Dog Training the Gentle Modern Method". The more you train and learn, the more you get out of this book but it is also suitable for beginners. And it is so clear and simple. A true classic.

Thanks CC - Ziggy runs with me in Masters/Open Jumping/Agility plus Open Obedience. The dog is perfect! It's my partner who is the one I'm trying to train :laugh:

TSD that's my mission this year - Kyzer and my BF are the bestest of friends (he has run out of the ring to see him before) so my goal is to get him to run him eventually

But it's hard to teach a beginner! You forget how much there is to learn!

Thanks megan but I think a book would overwhelm him! The dogs and cats walk all over him at home so he couldn't believe how well Zig ran for him. I'm overseas again so I thought it nice for him to be able to do something with the dogs whilst I am away. It would be nice to build them up to run games at novice level but zero pressure on Mr TSD is the only way to go. He's always happy to help ME train though :thumbsup: Couldn't do without him for retrieving training!